Cusson's Imperial Leather Bath Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Cusson's Imperial Leather Bath Soap

Post by brothers »

I was browsing a local Indian grocery store this afternoon and spotted a 4 pack of the Imperial Leather for about $8. Made in the UK. I know this is an old brand and hopefully I'll enjoy it immensely in the morning shower. It appears that each bar has a label stuck neatly to the side of it! Regarding shaving products, they did have an alum block for $2, and the gentleman took my name and phone number in the event he decides to stock some Indian brands of shaving cream, specifically Godrej. They did have toothpaste from Dettol and Necco.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gary, $8 for four bars huh? Wow, we can get four bars for £1 in the UK ($1.50).

I use this soap every day. It's a classic, traditional soap in both style and scent which is well priced (at least here).
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, the Imperial Leather bath soap costs me around $2.98 per cake in our local 'British shop'....when they have it that is. I use it mostly as a hand soap as it's a little to...a...assertive for me in the shower. Very good soap, with a scent that I love, at a reasonable price. The Indian groceries that I've checked in these parts just don't seem to carry any toiletries except for a couple of Indian shampoos. No shave creams, blades, talcs, nada. It's unfortunate. Then again, they don't have the high end India tea brands either.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I wonder if it's a generation issue? Most of our indian population is 30 something degreed contract workers with young families. They may wear sandals, rent bollywood movies and eat indian food, but many western 'norms' are being assimilated including 'grooming' or lack there of.
I've always wondered how they react calling for assistance outsourced back home and get Ravi pretending to be Randy from Houston :lol:
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Imperial Leather is by far my favourite bath soap. We stock up lots and lots when we visit England. As Gareth points out - 4 bath-size bars can be had on just about any local market for anywhere between £1 and £2 tops. Great stuff.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

jww wrote:Imperial Leather is by far my favourite bath soap. We stock up lots and lots when we visit England. As Gareth points out - 4 bath-size bars can be had on just about any local market for anywhere between £1 and £2 tops. Great stuff.
Do you use the oil-based or do you manage to find tallow-based bars?
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I don't know what it's like over on the other side of the pond, but here in the UK we can also get Imperial Leather in bars which are coloured white and blue, as well as the regular yellowish colour.

I've never tried the other two scents myself, although apparently the blue one is for men.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gareth wrote:I don't know what it's like over on the other side of the pond, but here in the UK we can also get Imperial Leather in bars which are coloured white and blue, as well as the regular yellowish colour.

I've never tried the other two scents myself, although apparently the blue one is for men.
Blue for men means yellow is...???

BTW, good to see you posting Gareth!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Blue, white and orange bars here in the States through http://www.shoplondons.com/imperial.html

They've been out of stock of the Original for some time, and that bar is a pink color. Gareth, are you saying the regular/original IL you get there is yellow? Wonder if that has to do with tallow or palm oil-based bars.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Shop London's comes through one more time. I don't mind paying their price because they've got it all at one place. Next time I find myself in VA, I'd like to go there just so I could say I've been there. Kinda like Disneyland for Dad!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gene - thanks, it's nice to be back.

Ron - ah, so you are able to get the other two types of soaps then. The 'Original' bars here in the UK are a sort of yellowish-orange colour, not particularly dark.

As you speculate, it may have something to do withe tallow/palm oil content....
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gareth, I got the impression from members here in N. America and in the UK that we were dealing with different formulations. I've seen some British import shops online offering the "Original" but can't confirm which bar they're selling. Unlike the worldwide Vinolia reformulation, you at least get to keep using the original Original Imperial Leather.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, The Imperial Leather I buy locally is, I am almost positive, the same stuff that they sell in Britain. I used to see it years ago at Cambridge Chemists, but they, of course, charged an arm and a leg for it ( chuckle ). I've also seen the white version ( 'for sensitive skin' ) for years, and, I think, the blue once or twice. But those cakes smell quite different from the 'Original', and I've never been interested. The stuff available here now is the newer palm oil version, but honestly, with this particular soap I don't notice much difference.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, what color are the bars you get? The "Originals" from shoplondons.com were always pink, so I assumed that was the standard color, at least until Gareth spoke up. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to order a single bar from one of those import vendors, even though they're a bit pricey. (I might also order another sample of the new Venolia to see if my impressions have changed since my review from last year.)
Ron
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Last edited by joe mcclaine on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, They're tan colored, but I suppose one could describe them as "yellowish orange".
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Good to know. Thanks, Gordon.

And just to add to the general misery, the packaging on the bars I had differs from those currently being sold by the import shops. Both say "Original," but the package design on the import versions appears more . . . retro (:roll:) -- so maybe those are the real deal.

Jeez, the things we do for soap.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, You have a PM.
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Might I propose that the color of the Imperial Leather original is "chamois."

I got mine from www.theindianfoodstore.com. $5.99 for a 100g four-pack. Of course, there's also the shipping.

And the first thing I do is rip off that sticker.
Doug
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks, Doug. I'm a sticker-ripper, too.
Ron