Best Bar Soap For Face?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
whispercircuit

Best Bar Soap For Face?

Post by whispercircuit »

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect bar soap for my face and body. So far I've had no success in finding one that didn't either dry out my skin or clog my pores.

Here's some I've used to no success:
Basis Sensitive
Yardley US
Trumper's Spanish Leather
Santa Maria Novella
Dove (several kinds)
Ivory
Caress
Purpose Bar
Pangean Organics
Suki Sensitive Bar
Kiss My Face
Fa
Musgo Real
Some Whole Foods brands
etc.

Perhaps I'm doomed to face wash?
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
Chap

Post by Chap »

Well, no one can fault you for lack of trying! I don't experience the same problems you do, but am very fond of the Taylors bath soaps, also quite reasonable in price compared to some others.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Basis and Purpose are two that are brands typically recommended by Dermatologists. If you’re having problems with all the soaps on your list including the above two, then a consultation with a dermatologist might be reasonable. Their first question will be: Is this a new problem, or have you always had difficulty with soaps? From there they will proceed to determine the problem, and make recommendations regarding products perhaps not readily available or by prescription. Given the number of soaps you’ve already tried, and the number left to experiment with, the Derm consult might be the shorter route to success. Unfortunately, while the recommendations here will be very informed (the depth of knowledge here is quite astonishing), it’s still a hit or miss proposition, since skin reaction/tolerance to topical products is highly individual.

Steve
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Looks like you tried quite a few. Do you have a farmer's market or a street fair near you? I would recommend trying an unscented got's milk soap bought from the soapmaker with no middle man involved.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Here's a fancy word for what you're looking for 'comedogenic' or the tendency to clog pores and cause acne and skin problems. So you need a soap listed as non comedogenic and containing glycerin which is aquaphillic, another fancy word for likes water and doesn't suck it out of you like the Ark of the Covenant in Indian Jones.
One listed is PEARS.
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Here is a chart on Non-comedogenic Oils. http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html
I don't agree with all of it, but it will give you a better idea.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

For me, a "face wash" would be worse, so best of luck in your quest. BTW, soap doesn't clog pores.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I tried and liked the C&E Rose glycerin soap that Squire once mentioned. Only bar soap I did like.
Ron
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Nancy Boy.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Nancy Boy.
I would second that. The NB mild facial cleanser does an excellent job of cleaning without irritating one's face. However, even in it's current reformulation, the product is still too runny in consistency, a minus when you're in the shower and that $15/6 oz. is spilling out of your palm.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Greek "Kings & Queens Tobacco Soap". (Black as your hat, with a strong whiff of those good ol' nitro musks you don't smell any more.)

(Grik is proud country, don't giving a feck about the stupid the EU the rules on what men is allowed to smell of innit. Is good enough for the Socrates, is good enough for the myself, endaxi?)

DAMN fine soap. Probably the best.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

This one, Michael?
http://www.nivenandjoshua.co.uk/body/so ... oyal-soap/

drugstore.com has various varieties here in the States, but apparently not the tobacco soap.
Ron
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

rsp1202 wrote:This one, Michael?
http://www.nivenandjoshua.co.uk/body/so ... oyal-soap/

drugstore.com has various varieties here in the States, but apparently not the tobacco soap.
That's the fella. But I'm glad I didn't read that promo copy before I bought it. Complete doubledegook, unless the rules of chemistry have suddenly changed...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
CJS

Post by CJS »

m3m0ryleak wrote:
Thalay Sagar wrote:Nancy Boy.
I would second that. The NB mild facial cleanser does an excellent job of cleaning without irritating one's face. However, even in it's current reformulation, the product is still too runny in consistency, a minus when you're in the shower and that $15/6 oz. is spilling out of your palm.
+2. Their bar soaps are awesome too.

It's only 12.75/6 oz if you're in the NB club :wink:

You're right about the "new" consistency though; they didn't seem to make it that much thicker. I wash my face before bed at the sink, so I can modulate how much of the cleanser I use.
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I actually meant the bar soap, but the facial cleanser is also excellent, just a little expensive.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For a face soap I prefer a glycerin based product.
Regards,
Squire
Pioneer

Post by Pioneer »

Kirk's. Great stuff.
willydesousa

Post by willydesousa »

i use a bar soap we get here locally in South Africa called Gill works for me, not sure if they are internationality
Hi i am Willy De Sousa

Bloemfontein
South Africa
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

One of my optional bar soaps is Green Mountain, and though I've not used it on my face, they do have a liquid version (palm-based) that's worked well for me as a face soap.
Ron
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I use Dr Bronner's Soap and also Grandpa's soap. Grandpa's soap has an orange essence, witch hazel and other varieties. They are cheap at a little over $2 a bar. They also make great shaving soaps in a pinch because the lather is so rich.
Ed