Out with the Brylcreem, in with the Harris

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Ken

Post by Ken »

San Remo, which has been discontinued, had no oil, at least not in my experience. I never saw a Trumper's Sandalwood hair cream. There is the Limes and there was the Floral Cream, which has also (unfortunately) been discontinued.

Ken
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Ken wrote:San Remo, which has been discontinued, had no oil, at least not in my experience. I never saw a Trumper's Sandalwood hair cream. There is the Limes and there was the Floral Cream, which has also (unfortunately) been discontinued.

Ken
You're accurate in your comments Ken. A sandalwood one would have to have been VERY recent. Here is a verbatim quote from a Trumper catalogue circa '85 concerning the classic San Remo: "A light preparation with just a touch of oil and delicate perfume". From the same page sent to me by one of my personal favorite 'baby boomers' here...they do mention the "Floral Cream" ,but no mention, of the Limes ,which, obviously is still made.

Now regarding the scent ,Jani, of the "Special Lotion". Let me try to give you a strong sense from half a world away. Take the smell of the "Fougena" as the 'floor'....with the 'heart' notes of your "Eau de Quinine" ,but not as 'bright', one that won't take off it's button-down pima oxford at the beach and have another Pina Colada with everyone else. Lastly the 'top note' being the scent of their coconut shave soap and you've got an inkling of how damn nice that could be. Some might use that shop-worn phrase 'old man' (and it WOULD) be accurate ,especially as a hair styling aid. They took that wonderful frag. & doused it with mineral oil. It's beautiful and it's of yore.....

Best,
Fitch
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

+1 for the Special lotion. Coconut, pineapple, tar and general manliness. Wonderful stuff.

Nobody here has mentioned Lazy Scalp, though... WITH HORMONES. (Which? They never said.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I've often wondered what ever became of the remaining Lazy Scalp stock. I hunted like a wild man in every 'off beaten' place I could possibly imagine. I finally came to the bizarre conclusion that some newly russian multi-millionare ,who cornered, the local dry-wall & mobile phone markets +(had some additional funds) that his uncle had transferred into one of his accounts from the 'oil for food' kick-back scam. Well..this fellow made it to Curzon St. one drunken late afternoon ,and bought-up, all they had left...thinking it was the famous 'hang-over' cure he had heard about. He tried it out soon thereafter upon his return to the suburbs of Haifa ,and thought, "these Anglos are a crude culture"...had them all thrown into a dumpster at one of his construction sites.
Meanwhile around the same time late '02 ,or so, a wealthy middle-aged chinese man, who had made his money, by the millions of pirated copies of the film "Titanic" ,he had sold, found his way into D.R. Harris & Co. one grey morning. He purchased all the remaining "PICK-ME-UP" drink on the shelves and is still using it as a hair tonic to this very day somewhere in Macao. I could be waay off though.....

Best,
Fitch
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Booster Lanolin Hair Cream. Great quality without the fru fru price tag.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fitch, Yeessss......umm....could be.....kinda fits.....sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

A couple of stiff Pick-Me-Ups-and-tonic -- maybe a couple more, now you mention it -- okay, just one more for the road -- an' a shap is guanantreed to slabe like a beepy.

Come the morning a glass of Eucris spits the hot and one's as right as rain as rain what what -hic-.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

3 years ago I had a bottle of the 'Egg & Lanolin' shampoo. Used up the bottle in a few months. Marvelous stuff it was.
Regards,
Jani
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

rustyblade wrote:Booster Lanolin Hair Cream. Great quality without the fru fru price tag.
I've been meaning to check this out sometime ,however, I was thinking might be too similar to the "Wildroot" cream oil down these parts. I will probably get to it eventually. Jani, would you focus please.....laugh. Yet another one of their products I never got to check out. Have a good weekend all....I need to 'dis-engage' now and fill-out/send my census form....we'll see.

Best,
Fitch
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Well, I've been using the EdP w/ oil for the last two weeks and will gladly join in the praise. Great stuff!

Are there any colognes that come close to the scent, or would that be the one sans oil?
Eric
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Eric, it would be the one without the oil.
Regards,
Jani
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

rustyblade wrote:Booster Lanolin Hair Cream. Great quality without the fru fru price tag.
Richard,
I know it has been awhile since you posted this, but how would you compare this stuff to Brylcreem which I also know you are a fan of. Brylcreem is pretty much all I use in my hair but always on the lookout for something new.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Big Swifty wrote:
Richard,
I know it has been awhile since you posted this, but how would you compare this stuff to Brylcreem which I also know you are a fan of. Brylcreem is pretty much all I use in my hair but always on the lookout for something new.

Both have a great classic scent, Booster lanolin is lighter and less greasy than Brylcreem.
Richard
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I´m looking to get a tonic with little or no oil and has a light, fleeting scent for the summer. Would the Lerinia or Bay Rum be the ticket, or should I just go with Pashanas EdP? Or Trumper´s Coronis?
Eric
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Eric, the D.R. Harris Lerinia or Eau de Portugal would be perfect.
Regards,
Jani
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Is the D. R. Harris obtainable from a Target or another store...or is it an online product?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've mentioned it before, but I'd like to confirm my life-long fidelity to Vitalis. There's no oil, just the mysterious "V-7". And alcohol. I don't know and don't really care what's in it, I just know it works for me. Back in the '70's (I had forgotten, but now I recall) I used to have a nice bushy head of hair that needed blow-drying, and Vitalis was good for application prior to the blowing dry. It actually states that fact on the label. Before the blow-dryer came along, I had been already been using the Vitalis for years since I was in high school. I can't imagine not using it. I'll keep this thread in mind just in case the factory has a disaster or something and I can't get the Vitalis any more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, Sorry...I somehow missed your question of 8/15. D R Harris's is a very old ( 1790 ) chemists shop in St. James's in London. They still compound many of their own products. There are only a relatively few privately owned stores in the US that stock these goods, and even they often don't carry all of them. You can check the D R Harris's website for a list. For most of us, products of this kind must be mail ordered.
Regards,
Gordon