Nancy Boy Bath Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
reggiano

Nancy Boy Bath Soap

Post by reggiano »

So last week I ordered some Nancy Boy bath soap since we had gone through our stash, and much to my surprise the new bars are fully a third smaller than the old (very big) bars. Sign of the times I suppose. It's either reformulation or resizing I guess. Sigh.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

That is depressing. One of the many virtues of the soap was its size. I knew NB was having sourcing problems. That may be part of the problem.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

That's disappointing in a way I suppose. I just ordered some awhile back and just finished up the three bars. I was just about to order some more, but now I'm not so sure. Their bars were not the best I ever used, but an all around good bath soap. For me they lasted longer than others I have used, but now being smaller I'm not sure they are as good as value for me anymore.....
--Greg
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Very sad to hear. The price went up a while back and I refrained from buying more. Now they dropped in size? It was nice while it lasted. I really did enjoy the soaps and the invigorating scent was my favorite.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I bought some Nancy Boy soaps a few years ago because I really liked the scents and they had a good rep as a more moisturizing soap (certainly more moisturizing than what I had been using). My only real beef was the size of the bars, which were really hard for me to hold onto during their first few uses. Making the bars smaller -- good idea. Keeping the price the same -- not so much. :(
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

They lost their original soapmaker a while back and were out of stock for a long time, but I thought their sizes had remained constant through the changeover. They quote 7 ounces on their website; this is smaller than original? I don't recall. Too bad; the Sweetgrass was an interesting scent -- but as said, a high price and smaller size do not a sale make.
Ron
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I don't know what the old size was. I have ordered from them recently and received 7 oz. bars. If their older bars were larger, I can see where they would be hard to hold. As is, these are good latherers and hard bars, so they last a while. I can pay a buck for Yardley and get less skin-friendly lather and have the thing last less than a third as long as these.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
saronian

Post by saronian »

I love the Nancy Boy soaps and stocked up 3 weeks ago while shopping at the San Francisco store. The soaps I bought were all 7oz, isn't that the original size? They didn't seem any smaller.
nancy boy shave cream - Feather SS -
Feather
tweedcab

Post by tweedcab »

Post resurrection. I really enjoy this soap. The only drawback is that it is not very hard and therefore is used up much faster than other bars like CP or PdP. In all, a very nice product with excellent scents that doesn't dry you out.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I got a few bars bars a couple of months ago. The size seems to be the same as what was offered prior to the loss of their soapmaker and the scents are still excellent. However, the lather is not as creamy/luxurious as I recall it being. I'll get some more when I re-order the laundry detergent but if it's the same as this batch, well, oh well....
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Thalay Sagar wrote:I got a few bars bars a couple of months ago. The size seems to be the same as what was offered prior to the loss of their soapmaker and the scents are still excellent. However, the lather is not as creamy/luxurious as I recall it being. I'll get some more when I re-order the laundry detergent but if it's the same as this batch, well, oh well....
What's your opinion of the laundry detergent?. I'm always temped to add it to my order.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The big bars of sweetgrass soap were the best performing bath soap I have come across, and I've had a lot! I save them for washing hair now (perhaps eccentric, but it works just right) as I only have half a dozen left. I hope they will start shipping to Canada again one day.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Tony, the laundry detergent is good stuff. It cleans well, although you do need to pre-treat any heavily stained spots, and does not overly scent the laundry. The best part is how it leaves the fabric feeling wonderfully soft. This is a boon as my better half was a fabric softener freak until I started using this stuff (I loath the way that stuff makes the fabric feel), so that stuff has gone the way of the dinosaur. It also helps defray the cost.
Best,
Chris