Talc

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I think I prefer it to the Clubman, it seems to be a finer talc. Serviceable, and the price is right. I wish I could find it locally. The smell of my Borotalco is much preferred however.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, considering it is a lower priced product, I like it....pretty much as well as the Borotalco really. Since the earlier part of this thread my situation has changed a little. For one thing, while I was rumaging through my big bin for something else I found one last tin of the Floris No 89 Talc...yippeee!. So I'm been using it with the Stephans to fill in from time to time. I also discovered that my old C&E shop at the other end of town is no longer formally a C&E shop although that's still mostly what they stock. But they now also have a few C-M products, including a few of the talcs. Unfortunately not the two I most favour, Jockey Club and Verbena, but I did pick up some No 6. So, at least there's something decent available locally again.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Sam, maybe try hitting a local Italian grocer - that's what I did (by accident) and I found a 1kg (2.2lbs) container of Boratalco for $14.00.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Sam, maybe try hitting a local Italian grocer - that's what I did (by accident) and I found a 1kg (2.2lbs) container of Boratalco for $14.00.
Courtesy of "Airport Security Theater", I left for a trip to Europe without anti-perspirant. Ended up buying some Borotalco spray deodorant at a chemist's and I have to say it works really well for me (not everything does). But the scent ... can you gents with more experience with Borotalco products tell me if the items they sell have that signature scent?

I also will note here that, after all the posts on Italian soaps and French talcs and so on, the selection of shaving goods at every chemist I visited left a LOT to be desired. :( Fortunately, there were other highlights to the trip. :)
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

There was definitely something odd about my first encounter with the Borotalco -- did not care for the scent at all. I'm game to give it another go, this time getting the tin rather than plastic bottle. My faves so far have been the unscented balla powder and Trumper's talc. The Stephans sounds like a good low-cost alternative to add to the to-get list, and hope the scent is unlike Pinaud, which I would consider a positive.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ron, I kinda like the Borotalco scent, and yes, as Gordon has said, it does remind you of Johnson & Johnson's baby powder. I am okay with that. The Stephens, I use it in the crotch and then, lately, under my arm, as the Mennen speed stick deodarant is well, getting sticky. I use the Borotalco over the chest and shoulders for the smell mostly, and I love to whip my tshirt off at night, lol, as it is fragrant.

I got a 500ml tin of the Borotalco when Barclay Crocker had free shipping, it was like $25 or so. If I can find a place with Stevens that ships at a good cost (and ideally has some other stuff I can use as well), I will probably get that.

TJ Maxx locally has the small tins of Caswell Massey for like $4.99 which makes the Stephens a steal.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sam wrote:Ron, I kinda like the Borotalco scent, and yes, as Gordon has said, it does remind you of Johnson & Johnson's baby powder. I am okay with that. The Stephens, I use it in the crotch and then, lately, under my arm, as the Mennen speed stick deodarant is well, getting sticky. I use the Borotalco over the chest and shoulders for the smell mostly, and I love to whip my tshirt off at night, lol, as it is fragrant.
Sam, thank you for sharing this. It's a vision I'll cherish. :lol:

My first Borotalco plastic bottle imparted the smell of burnt rubber to the mixture. No one else has encountered this, so I must have gotten a really old sample primed for outgassing. I want to give this product another chance because of positive reviews like your's.

As for the Stephans, have you tried:
http://www.williamsportbarber.com/menus/ST.htm

(I didn't realize these were the shave-cream guys, a product I wanted to try until I found it had lanolin.)
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Went to that site and the Ultra Fine talc is buy one, get one free, wow. Bottle looks different than the one I have pictured though.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, that container shown on the linked site looks different from the one that I have....which is white and more or less the shape of Johnson's Baby Powder. I find the scent of the Stephens to be markedly different from the Borotalco and personally I prefer it. It's a little closer to the old Mennan Talc, which I liked a good deal. Anyway, for the price it's nice stuff.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

One of the members here had recommended this vendor, so I had bookmarked it for future reference. For the price it's worth calling to double-check. And I'm glad you mentioned Mennen, Gordon, as that was one of the oldies I missed trying out.
Ron
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Wow -- obviously I'm not spending as much time on SMF as I used to.

Gentlemen, thank you for the confirmation on the Borotalco scent. The deodorant works great, but I'm not a fan of the scent. I don't think I'll search out more once this is gone. My appreciation for your assistance!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I haven't been able to find any Borotalco talc locally, (I think there's a large Italian neighborhood about 30 mins away I could check out sometime), but... I just found some Imperial Leather talc for really cheap. I'm looking forward to comparing it to some Pinaud talc I have.
Has anybody tried the Imperial Leather talc, how would you rate it?

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, I've had one cannister of the Imperial Leather Talc ( can't buy it in the States so it's a mail order trip ). It was nice, especially as a lower priced talc. I certainly wish it was available here inexpensively and in chain stores. Trumpers it's not, but it was certainly a decent men's powder.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Anything with the Cusson's Lable on it (e.g. Imperial Leather) is typically a very good product at a bargain-basement price.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, here it comes spring/summer and I just emptied the last of the big tin of Borotalco into the 100g container. The Stephans is a finer talc, less "powdery" in makeup than the Borotalco and not as floral/baby powdery. Considering that the 500 g tin is $18 and a 397 g bottle of Stephans is $5, guess which way I am going?

Chris, you think that guy ships at a decent cost? Id grab 3 bottles at that price. Or maybe, I got some shave cream I can send you and you grab me 3? PM me if you can get me his info.
Last edited by Sam on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Jupiter wrote:I haven't been able to find any Borotalco talc locally, (I think there's a large Italian neighborhood about 30 mins away I could check out sometime), but... I just found some Imperial Leather talc for really cheap. I'm looking forward to comparing it to some Pinaud talc I have.
Has anybody tried the Imperial Leather talc, how would you rate it?

Mike
We have a couple, maybe 4 at the most, Indian markets and they are so small that beauty products are tough to find. Lots of toothpaste, very low on soaps, shave stuff. Italian, we have a couple of stores that sell italian food products, but nothing I can find with just beauty products. Memphis is not a big Italian community, lol. I have better luck finding a mercado.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sam, I'd forgotten about that Stephans stuff you guys were going on about a few months back (well, in this specific thread, actually, as I've just reread it). I definitely want to to try some, since it's getting to be the season. I'm all out of the balla powder I've preferred, and the Borotalco is out of the running. They're all too expensive now for me, anyway. I know I included a vendor link earlier, but where are you guys getting this stuff from?
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have not ordered it yet. There is one place, linked to above, that Gordon mentioned had a different sort of talc. It has buy one, get one free, but shipping is $12!!! Chris has a guy who gets it for $5 and if I have to wait, Im good for two, three months at least. 3 bottles would last a couple years and if shipping was say $6 for three bottles, $21 for 1200 gms or so would be a great deal
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam wrote:Well, here it comes spring/summer and I just emptied the last of the big tin of Borotalco into the 100g container. The Stephans is a finer talc, less "powdery" in makeup than the Borotalco and not as floral/baby powdery. Considering that the 500 g tin is $18 and a 397 g bottle of Stephans is $5, guess which way I am going?

Chris, you think that guy ships at a decent cost? Id grab 3 bottles at that price. Or maybe, I got some shave cream I can send you and you grab me 3? PM me if you can get me his info.
Sam, I just picked up a a Stephans today when I got my haircut as a matter of fact. I didn't really need it as I have plenty left so I'll send it to you. He has one more left on the shelf before he reorders, I'll go snatch that next week. I'd do that tomorrow but I'm away on a trip and then I'm away Monday and Tuesday on business. Wednesday will be the earliest I can get it and when I do I'll send it on over. I'll tell him to order up a few more to keep me stocked as I always like to have one or two on hand.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, by all means, encourage him to re-order. I've used up that last Floris No 89 I found and am now working my way through some vintage Yardley Black Label and the Stephan's at an alarming rate! And here, the really hot and humid weather is already upon us.
Regards,
Gordon