Talc

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Talc

Post by Sam »

Choices of Clubman (not too keen on the smell, but not bad)
Borotalco - sweeter version of Johnsons Baby Powder ($18.95 for 500 gms is a decent price)

Caswell Massey (may be too scented, $9.00 for a small can is high priced)

Yardley sandalwood - found it, very medicinal like, not to my liking

others without being too pricey like Penhaligons?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Jeris, depending on what you think of that scent. I like it, and it's not expensive.

Yardley English Rose & Lavender are lovely scents, though rose talc admittedly may edge too far into femme territory. These and Yardley Gold talc can sometimes be found online and can often be found at Indian markets, at least in this area.

Pond's makes a bunch of talcs that can be had for very little money at Indo-Pak markets. I have found sandalwood (not as medicinal as Yardley), orange, and a very light floral scent that is not strong at all. I see these for $5-7/250g at the Indian markets around here.

PM me if you want me to look into picking up a couple for you, Sam. I know not everyone can find these at local markets.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I just ordered a 500 g tin of Borotalco at Barclay Crocker since it was $18.95 and then 15% off.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, I wish I knew, but I've not found anything lately that I'm okay with that is less pricey than the Taylor of Bond Street talcs. I had a bunch of those Floris No 89 talc cannisters, but they're all used up now, and I'm on my last tin of the Taylors Sandalwood. When it runs out I'll probably just have to bite the bullet, despite the price, and get more Taylors or the Trumpers. I used to buy the C-M talcs locally, but now that shop is closed and getting them mailorder is about as expensive as getting the Taylors.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam I do use a variety of talcs but my staple is Stephan's Ultra Fine. I use it probably 80% of the time. It's a barber shop fixture and it's cheap. My barber orders it for me and sells me a 14 oz (397 ml) bottle for $5.00. It's got a great barbershop scent (it does NOT smell like Pinaud Clubman though) and as a side benefit it's medicated. It is an excellent talc, especially for the money. It's worth a try, I think.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I remember the Stephan's brand stuff from the barber shop of my childhood, but have not seen any of their products in these parts, and certainly not their talc. On your recommendation I'd certainly be up for trying it if I ever presented itself. And the barbers here do not seem overly willing to try and get one anything, even if one's a regular patron. I ended up getting that Pinaud shampoo from Doug because the couple of barbers I asked wouldn't, or said they 'couldn't'.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun May 09, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, sounds wunnerful. I am like Gordon, but evermoreso stranded. By that, I mean that we have maybe 5 old-time barbers left in our fair city, everything else going the way of mall salons, or unisex places like Fantastic Sams. So I have had to find one girl and follow her. They have never heard of using talc, seriously. They use baby powder in this big brush.

Gordon, I may venture to Pinaud, but I am about to try a shampoo bar
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Only that few, in Memphis?....that's truly sad as Memphis decades ago had a bit of a reputation for fine barbering establishments. We still have quite a number of barber shops here, even some newer ones, but they rarely carry any products, and even the local barber's supply outfit doesn't stock the Pinaud shampoo apparently. Next time I need some I'm going to drive over in person though and check.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam and Gordon, I'm due for a trip to the barber. I should have gone this weekend but with all the fan fare of mother's day I decided to put it off until next week. I'll have the barber put in an extra large order with his next restocking. When he get's it I'll send it along - one bottle each. I owe Gordon some of that lime aftershave anyway so I've been slacking.

If you guys like it, it is obtainable online but I'm pretty sure you'll never get it that cheap. You'll have to balance how much you like it against how much it would cost to buy online. Taylor's it ain't. It not as fine as the high end talcs despite being "Ultra Fine". But for what it's worth, I have gotten tins of Yardley talc from Rite Aid.com and the Stephan's feels a lot like it (they have similar added ingredients). I think it has more to due with that added medicinal ingredients than the fineness of the grind but I'm not an expert so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Excellent!....that would be much appreciated.....as will be the lime cologne ( cough ). If I like it, even with shipping it will be cheaper than what I normally use, because I often have to have that shipped as well. I REALLY lucked out with that Floris No 89; not only was it excellent but I had half a dozen tins so I haven't had to deal with the talc situation for some time. Hopefully, the Stephan's does not have a whole lot of 'extra' ingrediants in it?....my ideal is just talc and scent.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gordon, I'm happy to do it. Been using it for years now and would be delighted if it could bring someone else satisfaction. Like I said, I still use other stuff now and then but this suffices for most days.

Here's the list of ingredients: Talc, Magnesium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide & Fragrance

So if there's anything there that you're not comfortable with let me know.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, No, as far as I know, that should be alright. Hope it's a winner for me, providing a less expensive day-to-day option, as it has for you. Thanks again.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Seems like what is in the Gold Bond but without that medicinal scent. I have really come to appreciate the talc in warmer weather, as the t shirt starts to stick around the upper chest and arms. With talc, seems like I do not notice it, especially after wearing my suit coat and in more humid weather
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Been using the Borotalco since May. WOuldn't you know it, now TJ Maxx and Marshalls locally have more Caswell Massey talcs for $5,99 then they ever have, the small tins, but still.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, I've seen the C-M tins here also but none of them are the men's talc. All lilac, jamine, stuff like that. Are any of the men's talcs showing up in Memphis?
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yes, those Gordon, and a couple of Lavendar and one other.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Guys thanks for the reminder. I just got your Stephan's talc the other week and have forgot to send it along. I'll have them out to you before the work week ends.

Sam PM me an address to send this to.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

EL Alamein wrote:Guys thanks for the reminder. I just got your Stephan's talc the other week and have forgot to send it along. I'll have them out to you before the work week ends.

Sam PM me an address to send this to.

Chris
Talc is on it's way Gents.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Excellent! Thanks again.
Regards,
Gordon
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Gordon/Sam,

Any feedback on the Stephen's Talc? Thinking of digging around online to find pricing, and was curious as to your thoughts on the talc.
Jason