Shampoo

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

Hope this isn't out of line posting a particular brand/person. If so, or if I've stepped out of bounds, please let me know.....I have had great success with shampoo bars from Queen Charlotte Soaps. I have thinning hair and up North here in Canada my scalp dries out in the winter like crazy. I actually only shampoo about 2 times a week, but I like them.

I'm not affiliated with QCS, don't get freebies or any kind of reimbursment whatsoever to plug them ~ I just like their stuff. great scents too!
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of course not Tim, we're an open community here, all brands/products are subjects for discussion.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think shampoo bars are a great idea.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brucered

Post by brucered »

brothers wrote:I think shampoo bars are a great idea.
i got my 1st one coming, hopefully this week.
Last edited by brucered on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elephants never forget!
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

.... i like that !
Squire wrote:Of course not Tim, we're an open community here, all brands/products are subjects for discussion.
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
Lou

Post by Lou »

When I was in one of my super-thrift phases, I picked up some men's Suave. Within a few days, my hair was like straw. I'm currently using American Crew Daily Shampoo and Stimulating Conditioner and am getting good results - not mindblowing, but good. But I too have been wanting to steer clear of the sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, so I'll problably switch to a health-conscious brand like Jason. I'm prone to seborrheic dermatitis, so I need something gentle on the scalp.
shlalaw

Post by shlalaw »

Just ordered some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Heard lots of good things about it. Will update after some use.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I'm trying out a shampoo bar from J. M. Liggett. Amazingly efficient -- one swipe across the top of my head and there's more than enough lather. I've read on-line that some people have complained about build-up, so I've taken care not to use too much and to rinse it thoroughly. But, after a week, I like it a lot.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

I heard some bad reviews about the Body Shop shampoos so...I bought some anyway. I had a moment of regret but within days I began to actually like their line. I have a sensitive scalp and occasionally (especially in the summer) I am prone to getting the occasional folliculitis. Haven't seen any since. In fact, I first started using the shampoo after a mild outbreak and they dried out within days and never came back. Not one for the SLS hype but perhaps there's something to that.
Andy
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

shlalaw wrote:Just ordered some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Heard lots of good things about it. Will update after some use.
I really like Tea Tree shampoos and use Wen Tea Tree a couple of times per week.

Its very dry where I live and I recently bought some Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Shampoo and Daily Conditioner. The scent is very nice and it seems to keep my scalp from becoming dry. It does list Laureth-23 and Laureth-4 as well as Dimethicone but they occur in the middle of the ingredients list so they're not the dominant ingredients. Paul Mitchell products seem to leave me with a favorable impression in general.
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

None for me for almost a year. Used to shampoo my greasy hair every day as soon as I woke up. Made conscious effort to do less often. About 3/week with a very small amount of shampoo. Then I started washing my hair with Olive Oil soap. This was better. Soon after stopped using even that. Now just warm water. Hair never gets greasy, and is never dry and frail looking. I have a magnificent mane. Every now and then I will have mud and crud in my hair from mountain biking and will use the Olive Oil bar soap, but its a one off. Throwing away the shampoo was the best thing for my hair.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I'm a couple of weeks into using the Liggett bar and I have to say I like it. I'm at the temporal stage at which my hair usually gets a mind of its own (i.e., a haircut is due any day now). But it's been much better behaved while using this shampoo bar. The only downsides I can note is that it will dissolve if sitting in water and that the scent is very reminiscent of olive oil (a principal component and one I usually associate with food, so it's a bit disconcerting). Other than that, sign me up for another one when this one's done.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Whoever said they wanted to buy up the Lush shampoo bars because they liked the Chagrin Valley bars and didn't want shampoos with SLS, beware: Lush bars contain either SLES or SLS.

I've been using Mystic Waters shampoo bar for almost two years now. My hair has never been healthier. I shampoo it every day without adverse effect. I have soft water, so it rinses clean. It smells great and has cured me of my seborrheic dermatitis (i.e., bad dandruff).

Michelle at Mystic Waters also sells a wonderful hair oil; a couple of drops into damp hair makes my hair incredibly soft.

I really can't say enough good things about Mystic Waters shampoo bar and hair oil. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands to get it away from me.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Araner

Re:

Post by Araner »

Steve-o wrote:I'm a couple of weeks into using the Liggett bar and I have to say I like it. I'm at the temporal stage at which my hair usually gets a mind of its own (i.e., a haircut is due any day now). But it's been much better behaved while using this shampoo bar. The only downsides I can note is that it will dissolve if sitting in water and that the scent is very reminiscent of olive oil (a principal component and one I usually associate with food, so it's a bit disconcerting). Other than that, sign me up for another one when this one's done.
I've been using Liggett's bar shampoo for a little while now and I like it quite a bit.

v/r
Mike
brothers

Re: Shampoo

Post by brothers »

Lucky Vitamin seems to have a few different varieties of Liggett's shampoo bar, at prices that appear to be cheaper than WalMart. I have an ample supply of Pinaud Clubman Shampoo, but hopefully when it comes time for replacement, I will remember Liggett's.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Walmart eh, hmm, let me check my schedule, yes, being retired means I can go the store anytime.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, I see it on WM'S website, but I don't know if this is one of their "Internet only" items. I guess the only way to find out is to dispatch a scouting party.
Gary

Barry

Re:

Post by Barry »

timthepenman wrote:Hope this isn't out of line posting a particular brand/person. If so, or if I've stepped out of bounds, please let me know.....I have had great success with shampoo bars from Queen Charlotte Soaps. I have thinning hair and up North here in Canada my scalp dries out in the winter like crazy. I actually only shampoo about 2 times a week, but I like them.

I'm not affiliated with QCS, don't get freebies or any kind of reimbursment whatsoever to plug them ~ I just like their stuff. great scents too!
I'm using one of the QCS bars now. It seems to be nice and definitely gets the pomade (water based) out of my hair better than some others and my hair feels softer than usual. I ordered a few Lush shampoo bars. I'll see how they are.
SteveinMN

Re: Re:

Post by SteveinMN »

Araner wrote:I've been using Liggett's bar shampoo for a little while now and I like it quite a bit.
Some time after I posted, my local supply of LIggett's ran out. Lately I've been using Acure shampoo (sold at my food co-op); it is a replacement for another brand I bought there that I really liked but, apparently, is no longer available because I don't see it on the shelves.

Apparently the way to kill shampoo sales is to get me to like using it....