Shampoo

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
sgtrecon212

Shampoo

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I'm looking for shampoo for my gray hair.. Is there such a thing? I know gray can be coarser. Just wondering.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, The only shampoos 'for grey hair' are ones intended to color it. If that is not your intention, then any good shampoo that you like will do. Today, my hair is more grey than not, sorry to say, and FWIW I use Pinaud Country Club shampoo; good quality, not excessively expensive, and a very nice classic 'manly' scent. But whatever floats your boat.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If your water is not hard, you don't necessarily need shampoo - any good mild soap can work. However, hard water plus soap will leave soap scum in your hair.
95%

Post by 95% »

I've never noticed any difference except fragrance among shampoos. They all perform the same on my hair, leaving it clean but frizzy. I have to use a pomade to control the frizziness. However, women and men with abundant hair might have another take on the question.

For me, the challenge is to find a shampoo with an understated fragrance. Most of the products sold in drugstores are anything but understated. I'm currently using Mitchell's Wool Fat shampoo, which is lightly and pleasantly scented.
Porter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am trying out a shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley for my psoriasis, the Tea Tree and Neem. So far, cleans as well as the other stuff and all natural.
95%

Post by 95% »

That's a great find, Sam. Never heard of them before.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

There are no detergents - I think - in their shampoo bars. While I don't have psoriasis, the ingredients could be easier on the hair.

There's an puzzling warning for the Neem & Tea Tree Body & Hair Shampoo:

It is not recommended for use by pregnant or nursing women or anyone (male or female) trying to get pregnant.

Gentlemen, take note.
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Pantene makes one that was recommended to me. I was unimpressed, yet remain distinguished -- or extinguished -- as the case may be.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

follow up

I have been getting some soaps from Chagrin Valley lately, moreso for the shampoo bars than anything. I got a lavendar and calendula body soap for psoriasis, and a tea tree shampoo bar. The tea tree works as expected, but I did not care for the body bar, that is, until I decided to use it as a shampoo bar. Lathers profusely, no sodium laurel sulfate, and it is creamy and I do not need conditioner. I have a honey oatmeal and goatsmilk body bar I will try next and then a sample of the neem shampoo bar (I think I will like it). Anyway, good reputation on some other sites and thought I would throw in my experience.

Ask them about graying, but I use Just for Men hair and moustache coloring, two products, not one, and well, I want to go gray but wife and daughter refuse to allow me.
cvc

Post by cvc »

I just ordered products from Chagrin Valley after checking out the site. I'm a sucker for positive testimonials and ordered a few face bars and a couple shampoo bars. Now the waiting begins..
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

rsp1202 wrote:Pantene makes one that was recommended to me. I was unimpressed, yet remain distinguished -- or extinguished -- as the case may be.
Pantene was very good around 1981-1985 when it was owned by Hoffman-Laroche but Proctor and Gamble bought the brand in 1985 and it hasn't been very good every since in my opinion.

I like American Crew and Institute Karite shampoo. The American Crew contains SLS which is an issue for some.

I have to admit that the Chagrin Valley and Lush hard shampoos looks interesting and people seem to like them.
liam34

Post by liam34 »

My hair is oily and so I have to shampoo it in every alternate day. I generally use herbal shampoo as they have less chemicals.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I use Bath and Body Works Orange and Ginger aromatherapy shampoo. They have a matching conditioner.

These are by far the best hair cleaning products I have ever used, bar none. My hair is so grey it's white. :D
Last edited by jww on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I gave Wendell's shampoo a "scent-check" at the local Bath and Body Works. Very nice, indeed. However, the salesgirl insisted the scent would linger all day (which is a no-no for me). Whether that's true or not, I can't say, but if that's not a consideration, then it's definitely a must-try.

As for me, though I still like the Clubman Country Club, I've been interested in trying something new, just for the sake of it. Trader Joe's Spa shampoo is cheap (and almost sulfate-free) and so far seems to work well. I'm also curious about the Redken for Men Clear and Densify lines, and the American Crew Daily for normal to oily. These three are certainly easier to find locally than the Pinaud.
Ron
droy3

Post by droy3 »

Sam wrote:I am trying out a shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley for my psoriasis, the Tea Tree and Neem. So far, cleans as well as the other stuff and all natural.
Hi Sam,

I was wondering if the Tea Tree and Neem solid shampoo helped your psoriasis? I have the same problem, although more on my knees and elbows than scalp.

thanks in advance.

Doug
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Doug, help, I dunno. The hairdresser says that I had a bit of redness near my crown that is now gone since i have been using the Chagrin Valley. I use the Tea Tree sporadically, when I think I have more scaling, but mostly, I use the Calendula and Lavendar baby's body soap as a shampoo bar. It has shea butter which acts like a conditioner and my hair does not feel that squeekiness that regular Dove soap would do. I like not using sodium laurel sulfate. I saw a lush bar in Macys for like $8 that was half the size of a body soap at Chargin Valley. I will stock up like crazy next time. I bought a $3 sample of Neem shampoo bar that will not get cracked open until the tea tree is done.
droy3

Post by droy3 »

Sam wrote:Doug, help, I dunno. The hairdresser says that I had a bit of redness near my crown that is now gone since i have been using the Chagrin Valley. I use the Tea Tree sporadically, when I think I have more scaling, but mostly, I use the Calendula and Lavendar baby's body soap as a shampoo bar. It has shea butter which acts like a conditioner and my hair does not feel that squeekiness that regular Dove soap would do. I like not using sodium laurel sulfate. I saw a lush bar in Macys for like $8 that was half the size of a body soap at Chargin Valley. I will stock up like crazy next time. I bought a $3 sample of Neem shampoo bar that will not get cracked open until the tea tree is done.
Thanks Sam.

I used to use coal tar soaps with some luck and a very good coal tar shampoo by a company called Phyto (French), but haven't located anything that works since they stopped making it...at least stuff that works and doesn't render my hair into a dry, unrully mass. I gather coal tar is verbodum now. I'm gonna give these guys a shot.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Update: As feared, the American Crew Daily shampoo left my hair clean but dried out (I don't use conditioner). The Trader Joe's Spa shampoo, just the opposite. And there's no Redken For Men that fits my particular needs. Darn if the Clubman doesn't start looking better all the time.
Ron
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Ron, American Crew has a "Daily 'Moisturising' Shampoo" as well. Have it a go.
Regards,
Jani
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'd forgotten about that one, Jani. Thanks. Worth a try.
Ron
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm going through one of those periodic can't-put-up-with-the-scent-of-X phases, and have stopped using my once-favored Clubman Country Club Shampoo. For more than a year it's been my go-to, but the scent finally drove me batty. As Jani suggested above, I've tried the American Crew Moisturizing brand and liked it, supplementing that with the AC Daily version every so often. Not been much of a Crew fan until now, but they work okay, they're easy to find, and the prices are midpoint.
Ron