Shampoo

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I use some high end Aveda shampoo and conditioner and rotate it with Baxter of California shampoo and conditioner. Both work great I think and the scents are pleasant.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I shower and shave every other day with a washcloth/basin cleanup in between.

When I shower I clean my hair/scalp twice. First I use Chagrin Valley Butter Bar Conditioner Shampoo Bar. These bars last a very long time:

I gently use a scalp scrubber with it:

Then I use WEN Tea Trea Cleansing Conditioner and use my hands to massage it in a bit and leave it in for the remainder of my shower. This stuff is Cetyl Alcohol based and I just love it. Its stupid-expensive but I use very little as I keep my hair quite short. I use a fraction of what the directions indicate:

I own a supply of American Crew Citrus Mint Refreshing Shampoo and American Crew Citrus Mint Cooling conditioner. They have a pleasant scent and work well enough but I stopped using anything with Sodium Laureth Sulfate so I put these in the guest bathrooms. Both are also loaded with Yellow #10. I've gotten very picky about ingredients lately.

Not trying to poison my guests but I hate to throw it away as I purchased several 32-oz bottles of each. :roll:
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I use the 99 cent stuff in as little a daily quantity as necessary.
Ed
changabang

Post by changabang »

This morning I used Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns body soap/shampoo in my graying hair and the lather was luxurious and rinsed clean. Beautiful smell.
James Nicks
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The NB shampoo leaves hair clean, but not squeaky clean. According to the Boys themselves, the shampoo is very good at not stripping all the essential oils from the hair. It is a good performer.
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I've realised you have to get a 'clean' shampoo' to begin with; sodium laurel sulfate and silicone are the two big bad boys I'm avoiding. I just tried a sample of Leonor Greyl. The stuff is wonderfull. I had just returned from a shorter haircut and after showering was promptly accused of colouring my hair. The only problem is price @ $65 :shock:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Walgreens generic for me three times a week (about). Wash my hands and face a lot though.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I like to steer clear of lauryl sulfate in both shampoos and face cleansers, and I've found a few of each that don't contain this detergent that seem to work well. Laureth sulfate is supposedly milder and has less negative vibes to go with it, and those I've tried have also been pretty decent.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

KAV wrote:I've realised you have to get a 'clean' shampoo' to begin with; sodium laurel sulfate and silicone are the two big bad boys I'm avoiding. I just tried a sample of Leonor Greyl. The stuff is wonderfull. I had just returned from a shorter haircut and after showering was promptly accused of colouring my hair. The only problem is price @ $65 :shock:
Holy smoke! That's got to be some good shampoo.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Just recently I picked up a bar of J.R. Liggetts shampoo at Merz, been using on a daily basis and have to say it seems to work quite well. Here is a link -

http://secure.jrliggett.com/
Good shaving,

Gary
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Dare I mention the Axe line of shampoos??! Oh never mind......

Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

That's quite enough of that, Andy! Just behave yourself...this is a gentlemen's forum.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've used public transit a lot this last year, and have stayed at hostels here and there -- Axe is very popular. Those poor, misguided kids. My poor sinuses.
Ron
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've gotten good results so far using Woody's Daily Shampoo. Most notable is that is doesn't dry out my hair, which unfortunately the Pinaud Clubman Country Club was guilty of. The scent is much more subtle, also. I can find this locally and the price is competitive with the Clubman, bought online.

There's also a Woody's Shave Lather, which is advertised as a "self lathering cream which thinks it's an aerosol foam." Hmm. I think I'll pass on this for now, but if anyone has tried it, do tell.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, thanks for the heads up about the Bath & Body Works shampoo. My wife likes to frequent that store, and I've written down the name of it for the next shopping trip !
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'll put in a plug for Davies Gate, a shampoo that's usually to be found in finer hotels. They also sell it commercially via their website, and Amazon stocks it. I've used travel-size versions of their Quince and Quinoa shampoos and they are excellent, not frou frou at all.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up, the (Bath and Body Works) "Energy" Orange and Ginger Aromatherapy shampoo ($10) is excellent.
Gary

95%

Post by 95% »

Having depleted my bottle of the excellent MWF Shampoo, I'm now using Taylor's Jermyn Street Bath & Shower Gel for Sensitive Skin. It has a nice fragrance that doesn't last long, and it works fine strictly as a shampoo.
Porter
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I've been using the Mr. Taylor shampoo for the last couple of weeks; it shampoo works fine but isn't quite as nice Nancy Boy. The scent is stronger than the cologne but it diesn't linger so that's not a problem. It's funny- I like the scent in the cologne but am not quite so crazy about it in the shampoo.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
95%

Post by 95% »

Chris, the Mr Taylor shampoo is one I haven't tried, but I will, since I like the bath soap in that range. The cologne smells different to me: grassy or perhaps woody. It goes sour on me after a few hours, however, so I seldom wear it.
Porter