Musgo Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Musgo Soap

Post by KAV »

The latest order from Phil@ Bullgoose included a suprise bar of this most splendid product.
My 85 year old mother has a lower leg skin condition that multiple topicals and various soaps have failed to improve.
3 showers and there is a VISIBLE improvement, and greater comfort.
I feel like a dummy. I spend time on this site and Phil's in tunnel vision shave mode. The people who make superior shaving products also make superior body and hair products as well.
The musgo ( I managed a hand wash first) gives agreat lather with a pleasing scent and feel. It easilly washes off too.
I have a bag of unopened soaps going to the homeless shelter.
buster

Post by buster »

Yes, KAV. My soap epiphany came when I ditched the bottled concoctions and loofah for nice big bar of Claus Porto soap. No more itchy, flaky skin for me. I'd like to try the MR sometime as well as the Volobra Fern. They sound very nice.

-Carrick
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Christopher, that Musgo Real soap is very nice. Very pleasant scent as well.
Regards,
Jani
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Pardon my ignorance this discussion about the Real Glyce Lime soap ?.

Phil is busy enticing my AD with Pre de Provence bath soap samples and you add this to the mix?. :roll:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

This is the Musgo soap on a rope, 6 oz of hand filling size.
I have Pre de Provence on my wish list. Surely you know one of the warning signs of AD is enabling other's affliction to justify one's own?
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

It's a fine quality soap. Picked up the non-roped version this afternoon. I generally switch from the Musgo to the Pre de Provence. I generally prefer the scent of the Musgo, but both are good performers.
--Greg
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Sounds like a very good soap.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Musgo was even better when it was tallow based.

Chris
Tacobell

Post by Tacobell »

EL Alamein wrote:Musgo was even better when it was tallow based.

Chris
It's not tallow based anymore? I thought that it was.
David

Looks good but can you shave with it?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, No, unfortunately not....unless you luck into an older cake lying around on some vendor's shelf. Claus Porto, Bronnley, C&E, and a whole lot of others were also better when they were still tallow based.
Regards,
Gordon
Tacobell

Post by Tacobell »

That's disappointing. Is there a list of better tallow based bath/body soaps.
David

Looks good but can you shave with it?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Vinolia, Borotalco, Cashmere Bouquet and Yardley (USA ) have tallow among other ingredients. Green Mountain Original is all-tallow.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

bernards66 wrote:David, No, unfortunately not....unless you luck into an older cake lying around on some vendor's shelf. Claus Porto, Bronnley, C&E, and a whole lot of others were also better when they were still tallow based.
Regards,
Gordon
But the Claus Porto still is not all that bad, not at all. I am finishing up a bar of the Vetyver and when done, have to choose between a Caswell Massey Sandalwood (finally found a soap at Marshalls, 3 for $6.99) and a Vinolia, old formula!!
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sam, I think the Vinolia has aged quite enough. :lol: Go for it.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, As we've agreed before, a number of these top shelf bath soaps are still 'not bad', including the Claus Porto. They are just not as good as they were. The whole thing STILL annoys the hell out of me when I think about it.
Regards,
Gordon
liam34

Post by liam34 »

Is it really nice. Actually i have oily skin. Is it suitable for me? Anyways i want to try it once.
drumana

Post by drumana »

bernards66 wrote:Sam, As we've agreed before, a number of these top shelf bath soaps are still 'not bad', including the Claus Porto. They are just not as good as they were. The whole thing STILL annoys the hell out of me when I think about it.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm not familiar with what these soaps were like when they were tallow based but I'm sure they were fantastic. I, too, feel annoyed about the whole 'non tallow' movement when I think about it. As if palm oil based soaps are more eco friendly :roll: Ever seen a picture of the deforestation due to palm oil plantations? Yikes.
-Andrew-
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Any new comments? Found a place that has a deal on 4 cakes, less than $15 shipped combined.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Up-to-4-CLAUS-P ... 19cce5f7e2
nelson

Post by nelson »

I'm very fond of Musgo bath soap and have been a semi-regular user for some years. I experienced no noticeable difference in the tallow-based and vegetable-based versions. I can write the same about several other bath soaps I've used. There are times when I feel like some sort of soap barbarian because of my inability to make a distinction based on the use or non-use of tallow. I'm pretty much the same when it comes to lanolin, also.

nelson
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I'd say go for it. I pick up a bar every so often, and I'm currently using a bar of it right now. It's a good enough deal that I would do it. I pick mine up by me for I think $6 a bar. Like Nelson I haven't really noticed a difference in performance over the reformulations. That could be though because I never used an older version of one of the changed bars.
--Greg