Bath soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Bath soap

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm running low on my stash of Turkish olive oil soap, and ready for a change. I love Nancy Boy sweetgrass, especially as it has the right pH balance for me to use it for hair washing as well as body washing (no squeaky hair!) I do have some Woods of Windsor bathsoaps, but these are irreplaceable and must be used wisely.

I have had a tin of Jabon Gal soaps sitting waiting either to be used (by myself or given to the maternal parent as a birthday gift) for some time. Since my own dear wife returned from Kenya recently with Cusson's (no, not really. Not anymore.) Imperial Leather in many flavours, I was able to pass these onto said parent, who is, after all, more closely related to the Cussons by one generation than I am. I have used Jabon Gal violet soap in the past, and loved the scent (Parma violet candies, if you remember back that far) but was underwhelmed by the performance. This poor neglected tin was Spanish Leather (Jabon Piel d'Espana) and last night I tried it. Strong leather scent, and unsweetened too. Rather like the horse's side of a saddle, rather than that applied to the rider's bum. Preferable, really. Excellent performance. Consequently I have bought all remaining stock of Spanish Leather from the importer, who say they don't know when or if they will be able to get more. Since that wasn't very much, I also asked for some more violet, some clover and some jasmine soaps as well, in the hope that I will enjoy the scent of the violet again, and perhaps find that the clover or the jasmine is as good functionally as the Spanish leather.
Has anyone ever tried the other Gal soaps?

Chris
Last edited by drmoss_ca on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Never heard of them.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, I've heard of them, and even seen a few tins for sale here, but never the Spanish Leather, which was the one I was after. I even pursued it half heartedly on the internet but never followed through....and now you've hoarded it all.....sigh. They are said to be good quality soaps, but the Spanish Leather was their only scent that really appealed to me, so I've never actually used any of them. Love the packaging, I must say. Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

What brand of Turkish olive oil soap were you using?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dalan. Smells like crushed olive leaves.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Thanks, I have Dalan shaving cream but haven't seen a soap. I have found this soap occasionally in Turkish stores:

http://www.ekizyag.com/en/products.htm
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Crused olive leaves sounds interesting. Reminds me of a Greek girl I once knew.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

is there a difference between the bath soap and the perfumed toilet soap?

A can just arrived in the mail.....the scent is still clinging to my hands even though i did nothing other than open the tin and hold one of the wrapped soaps for a second.

The scent is very much not like any commercial soap that i know of

Thanks for the tip on this.

clive

the tin makes for a nice keepsake
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Clive,
I am only aware of the one soap, which comes in four scents. Not only is the Spanish Leather the best scent to my nose (followed by the Violet), I think it lathers a bit better than the other three.
Maja soaps, who import it into the US, say it is discontinued. There may still be some left at this store, if my recent order didn't deplete them completely.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris

thanks...thats the store where my can came from too, i havent used the soap, but the scent still lingers, even now, Way to 'smelly' for me :lol:

this one is cupboard bound, but Im still glad i got to own a can

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks, Doc. I just ordered two tins from your link. I really need another AD... . :roll:

And now to shoveling out my driveway. I think the worst of the blizzard has passed through.
James Nicks
changabang

Post by changabang »

To follow up, I recently received two of the tins of Jabon Gal, and I have to say, both in terms of form factor and scent, the soap reminds me of the Indian Mysore sandalwood. I'm clueless about the real scent of Spanish Leather, as my only experience in that realm is with the English Leather cologne of decades past.

Following the good doctor's lead from another thread in this forum, I ordered and received a couple of bars of Aleppo soap from a supplier in Pa., although I have yet to sample them. They have a no frills earthy, olivey scent that is very nice.
James Nicks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the link Chris.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

changabang wrote:I'm clueless about the real scent of Spanish Leather, as my only experience in that realm is with the English Leather cologne of decades past.
Changabang, I picked up some Cusson's Imperial Leather bath soap at an Indian market a while back. It's a pleasant not very leathery fragrance, and I could easily use it all the time. Recently I had a sample of Trumper's Spanish Leather fragrance (not soap) and can say that it really does smell (in a very good way) just like leather, of course, with other fragrance characteristics to balance it out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I was not impressed by the Cusson's I got from a local Indian market. And I have a bar of Caswell Massey Sandalwood Ill trade for something. That sandalwood is just okay, but it lathers fine. I prefer the No 6 if I use Caswell, though a couple of others might intrigue me, like the limes.