Wax vs gel vs. ?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Wax vs gel vs. ?

Post by Sam »

Been using Aveda Shaping Wax for short hair. Holds decently well, but by the end of the day, no hold. Also not as pliable as I would like

Thinking of these and want comments

Jack Black Hair Gel
Aveda Pureformance Grooming Clay
Bumble and Bumble Sumo Tech (not the shiny one but the matte finish)

I dont know what a wax or clay or paste does vs. a gel. Many gels before left me with helmet head but they say that the Jack Black does not. I went into a place and got a sample of the other two and the Bumble and Bumble was good, but it is a wax. hard to apply and the hair feels coated, but it does have a great hold.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The Schwarzkopf fiber gum that you sent to me is really nice stuff. Are you looking for something with more or less hold?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Since I have been using good ol' Brylcreem I will probably never buy a gel or pomade again, but the Booster bear oil keeps callin' out to me.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

BullGoose wrote:The Schwarzkopf fiber gum that you sent to me is really nice stuff. Are you looking for something with more or less hold?
I like a little more hold and not as waxy feeling as that fiber gum.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There's always going to be a trade-off. If you get really strong hold then helmet head or waxy feel or something comes with the territory. Strong AND pliable AND no waxy feel is the same type of situation as "Cheap, good, and fast; pick any two".
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:There's always going to be a trade-off. If you get really strong hold then helmet head or waxy feel or something comes with the territory. Strong AND pliable AND no waxy feel is the same type of situation as "Cheap, good, and fast; pick any two".
My hair is really horrible to control and I feel the same way, haven't found a product yet that can do it all. I like conditioning creams (Booster Lanolin, Bryl) for the way they make my hair feel soft and keeps "the frizzies" down, but they don't hold a style. Waxes will hold by fringe the way I like (it is about the only thing that will hold them, like I said, horrible to manage hair) but are way to heavy for the rest of my hair. Some pomades are good like American Crew, but will give out in humid weather or long warm day.
Richard
95%

Post by 95% »

Sam, the Aveda clay smelled so horrible I had to throw it out. I've tried many pomades for my short and thinning hair, and most of them have failed on the basis not of performance but of scent (all the Crews, for example.) The one I've settled on is Giovanni Magnetic Force Styling Wax, which controls the frizzies, isn't greasy, feels natural on my hair, and has a nice short-lived herbal fragrance. I buy it at my Whole Foods store.
Porter
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Redken Maneuver - has pliability and good hold without feeling heavy, greasy or overly crunchy.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Redken Maneuver - has pliability and good hold without feeling heavy, greasy or overly crunchy.
Interesting. I thought your brand of choice was Dep.
Richard
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

The Aveda clay isn't bad, it holds fairly well. I keep my hair pretty short all year, and tend to wear a baseball cap most of the time. But when I don't, I use the American Crew Fiber, it holds well without being too gummy and greasy.
Eric
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

rustyblade wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:Redken Maneuver - has pliability and good hold without feeling heavy, greasy or overly crunchy.
Interesting. I thought your brand of choice was Dep.
Good one! :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok. between Aveda Grooming Clay, Redkens' Manuever Wax, America Crew Fibre and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream or are they all about the same? The Bumble and Bumble is too hard to emulsify and the most expensive per ounce and did not do any better than the Aveda
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

With the two I have used, the Aveda had a tab bit more hold. The texture of each is very different. The American Crew emulsifies very quickly, the Aveda takes a bit more work. Both are pretty good. Sam, I picked up a small jar of the American Crew Fibre at Target for around $10, kinda steep, but it lasts. See how you like it.
Eric
jtoddaz

Post by jtoddaz »

I've been using Sumotech for about 2 years. I like the matte finish, but if you encounter any windy days, you'll wish you had something with a bit more hold. It also seems a tad hard to clean out at the end of the day.
Bastardos

Post by Bastardos »

I'm using sebastien craft clay, a little goes a long way. Only suited to shorter hair I am told which is all i have anyway.

You can get it at a reasonable price on ebay.
I was indecisive... however now I am not so sure.
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

I just bought the Joico wax. I'll let you know in a week how it fairs.

http://joico.com/products/Styling/style ... h-cremewax
brothers

Post by brothers »

I understand the need for a wax or gel or something to hold the hair in place without being too stiff or greasy. My hair used to be a thick brown mop, then after a few decades, I can report that I still have hair, but it's nothing like it used to be. Pretty thin in spots, and as it gets gray, it also becomes less substantial. (example: my hair doesn't seem to be any good for the HHT with the SR any more.) Bottom line, Vitalis is the one for me. I popped for some Pinaud but it didn't really hold the this gray hair in any kind of order for much more than an hour or two. Vitalis works all day, but isn't waxy or greasy. Plus, I like the way it smells.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mme29710

Post by mme29710 »

I haven't used gel in many years. I get good results from wax. I recently switched to Tabac hair cream. Phil carries this on his site.
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

JohnnyO_Jr wrote:I just bought the Joico wax. I'll let you know in a week how it fairs.

http://joico.com/products/Styling/style ... h-cremewax
The Joico wax works pretty well, and holds my hair style all day long. I highly recommend it if you're looking to try something new.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, how about some Nancy Boy styling cream or the hair gel?

Usually, a gel really holds well, but it is like helmet hair and can flake if you use to much, or is so stiff that you can not mold it.

I am finding that in the heat of the day in Memphis, the Paul Mitchell does not have much hold. I like the fact that it is pliable, and some American Crew Fibre is too much hold, and pomade is so so for me

I am almost about to go with #4 clippers on the sides and #2 on top, and right now, they scissor cut my hair about that short. By the end of the day, sometimes the hair on the side tends to fly away, and the top of my head can be so flat.

I dont want to spend more than $16 for 2.5 ounces or so as the Aveda Grooming Clay might work in summer and then just go back to the Paul Mitchell and I have half a container of each to use up.

Suggestions?

And with it, if anyone has a sample they can pass along, Id appreciate it. I may have some blades or something to trade for a larger size, especially the Nancy Boy