Vinolia soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

First thoughts:

to my sense of smell, the scent of the soap is a lot stronger than the shave version

and;

the lather is so/so

being a good soap soldier i will persevere!

vinolia has me spoiled :-({|=

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

To my admittedly idiosyncratic sniffer MWF bath soap smells very different from the shave soap. Would that they were the same! I find the fragrance of the shave soap pleasant, while I find that of the bath soap markedly dissimilar and irritating.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Yes...well...Vinolia tended to have that effect ( chuckle ). The really sad part is that it was just a few years ago, well within the time span that SMF has been in existance, that Vinolia wasn't such a big deal; because there were a number of other soaps that were almost as good or as good. All of them have now gone to a palm oil base and goodbye. What a drag.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray i am leaning toward your point of view on the scent...i cannot even explain why, but i find it (irritatingly) strong

next suggestion???....have to keep ups in business
:lol:

clive

ps if i take a whiff of the gal spanish leather the mwf doesnt seem so bad anymore HAHA
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

For tallow, Yardley. Palm, Caswell Massey at TJ Maxx. Also Chagrin Valley
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

pps.....what would be a bath soap that is close in scent to plisson? unlike glenn, my shave soap isnt going anywhere near the bathtub, so never clever ideas pluEeZe!

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, I use the yardley already, but its not nearly as 'creamy' as vinolia. If it was close i would go right back....the yardley cucumber was an all time favourite until Gordon corrupted me

clive
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Vinolia's scent, for me, took some getting used to, but then the hook got set deep. Same with Nancy Boy's Sweetgrass. Those are about the only two I can tolerate over a length of time.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Don't really know, and good luck to you. If you discover anything comparable do let me know. Again, the higher end tallow soaps available are now very limited. If cost is no object you might try the Santa Maria Novella bath soaps. I like their Russian Cologne and Lavender scents personally. I can't go with them though because they are simply too expensive for a day in and day out bath soap.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

wow, a bit expensive is an understatement, but cat question, which soap does one buy.....they have quite a few "brands"...milky, men, oil, etc etc

thanks and apologies in advance for taxing your answering skills!

clive
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, I only really know them by scent. I've checked them out live in shops in NYC and the two I mentioned above are the ones I'd personally buy. I believe that these normally are offered in boxes of three.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I am very fond of their Russian Cologne as well.
Regards,
Jani
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I switched my newer version of Vinolia from a face soap only into the shower, since I got a shipment of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Using the Vinolia in the shower, it was a bit more luxurious of a lather than the small amount of lather I got for face washing. I will say it lathers better and richer than the Caswell Massey (either the No. 6 or the sandalwood), or a Claus Porto bar (the newer all veggie stuff).