Vinolia soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Jeez!....really bad news indeed. I don't know. There's not a whole lot out there that I haven't tried except some soaps that I already know are veggie oil based.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've got sixteen cakes of the tallow formula if you get desperate, Gordon.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the six bars i ordered this week that arrived on wed are all tallow as first ingredient

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

None of the vendor websites mention any changes to the formula, but these are traditionally slow to update. And based on what happened when the original formula went through its change of life, the vendors probably don't even realize this yet. It's not surprising that some of you guys are getting old stock and some new; what is, is that the change has happened now. Thought we'd get a few more months or years of the tallow-palm variety before the inevitable. Yeah, I feel especially bad for Gordon, knowing how palm-sensitive he is. We've discussed it before, rueing the day that was approaching. I really wish there was some magic-bullet soap out there for him. Chris's offer is a nice gesture; a Doctors Without Borders airlift might be the only viable stop-gap.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Indeed. I see myself getting desperate and contacting Doctor Chris pretty soon. It's begining to look like there is little option. I too thought that at least we'd get a breather here....a couple of years maybe. What a monumental bummer!
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well, the Vinolia I ordered, from the Vermont Country Store, arrived and one cake was tallow-based and the other all-veggie. I called the firm and asked whether they had any more tallow-based Vinolia. They checked and called back to say that all the remaining bars were palm oil-based. So that seems to be that.

Ken
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Santa Maria Novella is all that remains now.

Edit: Well not quite... there are a few more.
Regards,
Jani
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Paging Gordon, Paging Gordon, emergency in room 1, please hurry!!

In a moment of utter romantic weakness i gave prof a bar of vinolia to try.....she loves it. All this to say I need to find something else now to use. Any suggestions would be VERY VERY welcome

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buy her a shower brush and offer to scrub her back.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Who knows? The Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap is very nice if you don't have any issues with lanolin. That is what I was using before I received Chris' care package of a few more cakes of the old Vinolia. I got away with the Mitchell's too through about two or three cakes but eventually the lanolin started to create little problems. But if lanolin doesn't bother you than I'd say, give the Mitchell's a try. It's another very old, very classy and understated English soap of the first quality.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks a ton Gordon. I'm going to order some of that today.

clive
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, When you try it, let me know what you think.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

will do gordon. i ordered yesterday, hopefully will have it by the weekend. bs stuff i know, but i didnt like the fact that the big more economical bar doesnt have the cute lamb picture wrapping :lol: :lol:

clive
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Let the little cutesy lamb thing go....the original stuff in the classic brown paper wrapper is the ticket. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon, are they not the same soap? I would like to try Mitchells I think.

I checked my last bar of Vinolia - it is the tallow/palm combination. I use the full tallow version as a face soap, and that will last another year or 18 months, and then I have a Castle Forbes round soap for the face and then I will have to decide what next.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Yeah, as far as I know, they are the same soap. I just favour the larger bath bars in the traditional wrapping. The Vinolia 'combo' version is still good, so enjoy. After that, who knows? If one insists on a higher end tallow soap there is not much to choose from anymore. As we've mentioned, the SMN soaps, while very nice, are just out of my price range. So is the Valobra really, and the little bit I had once didn't lather that well, if my memory serves me right...I could be wrong about that though, the remembrance is hazy. When my last stash of the old Vinolia runs out I will probably use the Mitchell's most of the time, but I may have to vary it with something else because of my lanolin issue. It's a very fine bath soap however and it would certainly be one for you to consider.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Couldn't believe how fast the soap arrived to the front door. i wasnt expecting a delivery until at least late next week. anyway, i havent tried it yet....maybe this weekend, however, and this could well be becks induced imagination, the scent is on the strong side? i will report back asap after using it

again many thanks

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, does it smell like the shaving soap (don't recall if you've ever indicated that you've used the shaving soap or not)? In any case did you like the scent?

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, To me, the scent of the Mitchell's is pretty mild and yes, Chris, it does smell like the shave soap. Years ago, when I first ran into the Kent shave soap, I was sure it was Mitchell's because I was already familiar with the scent of the MWF bath soap and the Kent stuff smelled the same.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Thanks, Gordon. I'll pass as I'm not a big fan of the MWF scent.

Chris