Hair Tonic??

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
imurhuckleberry

Hair Tonic??

Post by imurhuckleberry »

Gentlemen,

After much research I will be buying a tube of Brylcream for stlying but I have a question and this may sound juvenile but what are the hair tonics for? I have read several threads and tried the ever reliable Google but cant find a straight answer. I have also read that some people use it as a type of cologne.

Ever since I began traditional shaving I have had a retro curiosity. And like many members have found that the older more estblishe products tend to work the best.
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

huckleberry, Well I was waiting for one of the gents who actually USE hair products to respond....Jani, or Ken...or somebody....but I guess I'll just fill in until those guys show up....

First of all, welcome to SMF. Plain hair tonics are mostly for scent, although they also wet the hair, making it easier to comb, get a straight part, etc. Now if you add oil to them, which they often do ( Trumpers Eucris, Vitalis, etc. ) then they also add some gloss to the hair and a little bit of holding property...keeping the hair in place. Not to the extent of a hair cream, obviously, but a little.
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

They used to sell them with all sorts of balderdash (©Gordon) attached. Lazy Scalp had "hormones" to "stimulate the scalp". "Special Lotion" removed dandruff (by, I suspect, gluing it to the scalp.) Silvikrin had "pure silvikrin" in it (none of your adulterated cheap far-Eastern silvikirn for our boys, oh no sir indeed) Etc etc.

Gordon's right, of course. As always. The only thing I'd add is that the ones with castor oil (E.g. Trumper's Floreka) have a slightly more (gummy) hold than ones with mineral oil (E.g. Trumper's Eucris or Coronis) which add a little more shine. You can tell the difference because the mineral oil floats on top while the castor oil ones are a clear emulsion.

Truth be told, most men used them for the smell, in the days when Men Did Not Wear Scent (unless they were Hungarians or Mexicans, reeked of the stuff, pah!, dashed pansies etc etc.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Indeed....foreign pansies....disgraceful! Of course there always were those aristocrats and that Hammam Bouquet?....but as in many other things, the aristocracy had a their own 'rules' no doubt ( chuckle ). And, Floris managed to stay in business and their clientele surely wasn't ENTIRELY ex-pat Russian counts, South American dandies, and women.....was it?
Regards,
Gordon
imurhuckleberry

Post by imurhuckleberry »

Thank you for the response. I did buy a tube of the Brylcreem and noticed the sheen that it gave to my hair. I was also impressed with the hold. I have used palmades or gels in the past but found that they gum up or turn my hair into a shell. The smell was also pleasant so I think I will stick with this for some time.
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, Brylcream is a classic product and no mistake. While American in origin ( I think ) it is still sold in some of the fine old gentlemen's shops in Europe. I haven't used any products in my hair since 1962 ( that is to say, 8th grade ) but it WAS Brylcream there at the end ( chuckle ). Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I've used Brylcreem, Groom & Clean, Top Brass, and a few other hair dressings over the years, but overall my top choice is Vitalis. The scent (which fades fast) is questionable, but the performance of this tonic is very good, providing non-greasy hold all day.
Rich
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I used Brylcreem as a kid, still remember standing in front of the mirror while my Dad combed and styled our hair with the "little dab of doo".

As we got older, Brylcreem definitely fell out of style and it was only just a few years ago that I bought another tube for old times sake. I haven't used anything else since to finish and groom. Great stuff!
Good shaving,

Gary
liam34

Post by liam34 »

Hair tonic is a product which is used to style hair. Whenever I have to go for a party I apply some herbal hair tonic for styling.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Straight Arrow wrote:I've used Brylcreem, Groom & Clean, Top Brass, and a few other hair dressings over the years, but overall my top choice is Vitalis. The scent (which fades fast) is questionable, but the performance of this tonic is very good, providing non-greasy hold all day.
I'm very fortunate that the scent of Vitalis is excellent to my nose. I like it a lot. Been using it for many years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

God's Trousers! I haven't heard the name "Silvikrin" in 30 years. Is it still extant?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I started using hair tonic's about a year ago instead of balms and find they moisture and de frizz my hair while making it more manageable. A thorough combing gives a very slick look and hold while a gentle ruffle gives a soft, casual look. I use hair tonic with castor oil when my hair is dry and without oil in the summer. I haven't tried tonics with mineral oil as I detest an oily feel to my hair (though I'm tempted to try Trumpers Coronis). My daily hair tonics have a fleeting scent so that they don't crash with my colognes.
Eric
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Tonics actually do have an active ingredient. They have ppg, peg, or glycerin, all of which will provide some light hold, frizz control, and wetness/shine. Some include mineral oil, too, for extra hold and shine. Basically, tonics are like leave in condititioner, except generally cheaper, and with oldschool barbershop scents.
Last edited by Sargon on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Yes indeed. My new favourite is Pashana Hair Tonic which has a touch of glycerine. Makes a nice aftershave too...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pashana? Well now, maybe I could get a small bottle just to give it a whirl, considering it can double as an after shave in a pinch. Now you've got me wondering if my all time favorite I wouldn't be without (Vitalis) might double as an after shave? But now I think I remember I already tried it once, but can't recall if it was a successful experiment. Must not have been, since I'm not using it as an aftershave now. Oh, well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Nice thread. I bought some Jerris w/o oil not long ago and it helps my hair not to be so dry, and aids in combing. It does little to hold mine in place (as is advertised), so I follow with "The Dry Look" h/s. Now I want to try the Vitalis and see about eliminating the spray.

But back to the non-oil Jerris: I thought it would hold my hair, but it does not do so well. Any thoughts here?

Any of you guys tried this 3 Purpose Lucky Tiger?:

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I sometimes use TOBS # 74. It works well in unity with my AS and Cologne # 74. The trinity of TOBS and MWF; paraded with a pocket ruler ( Downton Abbey influence) help discipline the remainder of my 'working day' 8-[
Araner

Post by Araner »

I use a few drops of Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil. Works well for me.

Mike
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

After using the Jeris tonic without the most favorable results for my hair, I tried Vitalis and have used it for two days. It will take some getting used to but I think it will help my "fly away" hair without using hair spray, as I did with Jeris.
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Mr. Choo-Choo

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

On this subject, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the D.R. Harris Bay Rum Hair Tonic, especially the version without oil. I searched the archives but could not find anything. Thanks!