Soap Shampoo for Dry Scalp

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
cadfael_tex

Soap Shampoo for Dry Scalp

Post by cadfael_tex »

Been poking around and have another question - this time about shampoo. Since moving to Kansas, every winter my scalp gets really dry. I've tried a wide variety of over the counter shampoos but without much luck.

Any suggestions? I even read here and on another forum that using a good bar soap might be an option. FWIW, I have really short hair - Army high and tight getting the sides of my head skinned and the top with a 2 guard every week or so.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I never found anything better that Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp for that particular problem. Some of the most expensive salons in NYC use it under the table, and when my son was little and had chronic 'cradle cap' that is what the pediatrist recommended. But you'll also want to look at how often you're shampooing. My experiance here suggests that many guys today shampoo way too frequently...often daily. A lot of gent's hair and scalp can't tolerate that, especially in cold and/or dry climates.
Regards,
Gordon
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I'm definitely a wash my hair everyday kinda guy. You're not suppose to?
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Couple of other questions please:

1. I see that some (but not all) Hair Tonics 'condition' the scalp: do they?

2. In researching, noticed that there are shampoo bars available around (eg ogalla bay rum etc). What is the difference in them and other bar soaps - for example I've been looking at the Pre de Provence or Claus Porto?
Last edited by cadfael_tex on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tex, Try backing it off to twice a week and see what happens. When I was younger, hardly anybody, male or female, shampooed daily. It tends to dry out the scalp.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tex, I have psoriasis and am using with good results Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. I used a bath soap, the calendula and lavendar since it has shea butter, and that stuff is so moisturizing and acts like a conditoner.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Thanks Gordon. I'll try that.

@Sam: sent them an email this morning asking for suggestions at Chagrin Valley as to soaps etc. Looks like the email back starting on Tuesdays if I read the website correctly.