Good Body Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
imurhuckleberry

Good Body Soap

Post by imurhuckleberry »

Currently I am using the Dove soap from their new mens line but I'm looking for another good in inexpensive bar of soap. I have previously used the Mud Scrub bar by Anthony Logistics and found it to be very nice. The scent was manly but it did not over dry my skin. I have seen a couple of soaps in pine scent are these any good? Amy suggestions....thanks.
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I've always enjoyed the unscented Dove bars. Simple & cost effective. I also liked that AL mud bar and the peppermint scent, but that lather would make my shower quite messy.

Destination for Men made a great bar as well:

http://www.just-for-man.com/Des-Nat-I15-437.html
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

A soap that is recommended frequently is from Yardley, and is available at some drug stores and grocery stores (and, in my area, the dollar store). It's available in lavender and oatmeal almond (that I've seen) and it's a good soap, in my experience. Inexpensive, too.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My fav body soaps - in no particular order - are:
MWF
Imperial Leather
Yardley English Lavender
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

If you want inexpensive and easy to get then it's hard to beat the US made Yardley Lavender. If you're willing to spend more, and probably mail order, then a whole broader range of possibilities opens up. FWIW, I use Vinolia, but it's fairly expensive and can only be gotten from a few sources.
Regards,
Gordon
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am looking for something what will not dry my skin out much. I live in a home with gas heat. That means that in the winter, I need a stock of chap stick and it has nothing to do with cold wind.

My arms and legs stay dry all winter long. What are my options for a soap for the shower?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Try an olive-oil based soap -- they are available in most chemists/drug stores and some super-markets (yes, even Walmart sometimes carries this stuff).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Wendell, thanks for the recommendation. I will see what I can find.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Soaps may be 'penny wize and pound foolish.' I grew up with PEARS, now made in India. Nice stuff and a bar never made it past a week.
Phill sent some small sample bars of Pre de Provence. The samples lasted far longer! Ingredients include shea butter which requires more rinsing but gets along with my skin.Some of the scents have peel or leaf to give a mechanical scrub. @ $7 for 7 oz triple milled soap I think it a great deal.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Black Belt wrote:Wendell, thanks for the recommendation. I will see what I can find.
Jason, just a caution here about the olive oil soaps. If you wind up using a Savon de Marseilles some of us have found that to be super-drying to our skin. I don't know why, except to guess that it's a very thorough cleaning soap. Wendell may have had another soap in mind so I can't comment on what he might be thinking of. Of course some folks are not bothered by these soaps so it can be a bit of a gamble.

FWIW I think the Yardley does as fine a job moisturizing as you can get.

Hope that helps.

Chris
imurhuckleberry

Post by imurhuckleberry »

I have tried the Yardley Lavender soap and it does a nice job, not sure as far as moisturing on my skin. I think it tends to overdry my skin, may have to give it a second chance. I was thinking of tring a pine scented soap, maybe by Lightfoot.

Thanks for the replies.
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The Yardley English Lavender (U.S. version) is not only not bad, it's a tallow based soap.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries this as regular stock now for about $4 for 4 bars (4.5 oz. each). That's probably the biggest bargain in soap available today.

Steve
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I agree on the US Yardley in lavender.

I almost always use a bar of Musgo Real, but when I'm feeling like getting a value I'll either go US Yardley or Pears. Once every so often I'll pick up Valbora in lavender, but feel that to me it's not really worth the extra cash. Bed bath and Beyond or a dollar store may have Yardley and Pears for usually around a buck a bar in some areas as stated above. Nothing beats local, cheap, and good quality.
--Greg
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

You gents dont like the yardley cucumber? Much better than lavender or the lemon I use all 3 scents but cucumber is the all time fav

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve-o wrote:A soap that is recommended frequently is from Yardley, and is available at some drug stores and grocery stores (and, in my area, the dollar store). It's available in lavender and oatmeal almond (that I've seen) and it's a good soap, in my experience. Inexpensive, too.
I am a devotee of the Yardley bath soap. I have English Lavender and Lemon Verbena with shea butter, queued up and ready to go. Just finished off a 4 pack of Imperial Leather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Another vote for the Yardley, especially considering the price. For a bit more, I am very fond of the Nancy Boy soaps.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The English Leather is a bit sharp for my taste, but I still like it, especially at the price. A few stores stock Dial Basic; under two bucks for three bars. Not a bad soap.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

NO! Stay away from those pine oil scented soaps if dry skin is an issue, and I agree with Chris regarding most olive oil based soaps as well. They sound like they'd be 'moisturizing'....but they're generally not. Rather the reverse actually, and are a better bet for gents with 'oily' skin. You're not going to do any better than the US Yardley ( and will probably do worse ) unless you're willing to hunt down some of the high end imported stuff. Unfortunately, most top quality makers have recently gone from a tallow to a palm oil base and this has effected their soaps adversely, IMO. Still, the basic quality is still there. Bronnley and Claus Porto are two good examples. Or you could simply spring for some Vinolia ( The Soap Opera in Madison, Wisconsin is one source ). Vinolia is high end stuff but is still tallow based. Best of luck in your search.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Two large german soap manufacturers, Fa and Nivea, use tallow in their hand and bath soaps and both have a wide variety in scents and extra 'goodies'. The germans don't seem to have the same issue with tallow as the anglo-americans. I find this puzzling.
Eric
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Black Belt wrote:I am looking for something what will not dry my skin out much. I live in a home with gas heat. That means that in the winter, I need a stock of chap stick and it has nothing to do with cold wind.

My arms and legs stay dry all winter long. What are my options for a soap for the shower?
I would splash out for a Harris bath soap. I've been using Arlington for close to a year now, and by the looks of it it will last close to another year! In the winter months I switch to Trumper's Almond (glycerin,not tripple milled) just for a change in scent. I would also recommend not to shower in very hot water, closer to lukewarm, as hot water also can be drying for your skin.
Eric