OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

Post by KAV »

I just returned fom the barbers and advised to use a topical on my thinning and fine hair. The last time I used anything was Brylcream in summer Alaska. I gave it up after combing out hundreds of no see ums.
Drugstore wants $7.49 :shock: for beeswax and mineral oil.
I again turn to the forum for definitions like my earlier brush band meaning and scent names.
Cremes,gels,pomades,ointments,goos and things that go bump in the night; what are they?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Good old Brylcream works fine for me, a tube lasts a long time and seems to do the job without much fuss. My fair is fine and straight but not thinning (for now anyway).
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I've been using the new Body Shop Wheatgerm Fixing Gel -- I actually prefer it to their previous Men's Brilliantine Hair Cream - it's less stiff and doesn't shine as much.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
giammi

Post by giammi »

Olive oil
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Araner

Post by Araner »

gsgo wrote:Good old Brylcream works fine for me, a tube lasts a long time and seems to do the job without much fuss. My fair is fine and straight but not thinning (for now anyway).
Ditto! That's what I use.

Araner
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Chris, is this "topical" an effort to retard hair loss or regenerate hair growth, make your hair look fuller or is this a styling thing? You know, just holding it in place? And if it's a style thing, how long is your hair and what kind of look do you want it to have?

Pinaud makes an excellent Clubman gel that I never hesitate to recommend to customers. A small dab worked well through reasonably damp hair. Comb it to the desired style. Let it dry and comb through again. Excellent hold, shiny natural look and it will, if you don't over apply, often make hair look fuller. This stuff is one of the best bargains out there at 6 or 7 dollars for a one pound tub.

I don't recommend anything "slick" to gentlemen with fine, thinning hair. Oils and whatnot really emphasize the appearance of hair loss.

And how was your haircut? You mentioned somewhere that you were having trouble finding a barber you liked.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My hair is very fine,red and greying. I have typical male pattern baldness; receding from the forehead and thin but not bald on my crown.
All the men in my family are bald. I am actually the best off by actually taking care of myself. I have no desire to try replacement regimens or rediculous combovers. Both brothers are totally bald and white haired- and I'm the middle son.
I've simply shampooed for years- and better shampoo suggestions are welcome beyond the $1 strawberry scented goops from chain stores- and given my hair and scalp a good brushing.
I read the articles on THE ART OF MANLYNESS and finally found a ex G.I. who understands 'high and tight' but not bootcamp with a natural taper. He slightly layered the top with little to work with from the previous 2 barbers. He told me another 2 cuts and we will have something.
My hair is simply the flyaway haystack in a tornado. A final question I failed to ask my barber; do you come for a haircut freshly shampooed or with your hair dressing on?

Chris
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

KAV wrote: A final question I failed to ask my barber; do you come for a haircut freshly shampooed or with your hair dressing on?
I'm not trying to dodge here, but it depends on the haircut and the hair product. Some of my older clients are Brylcream/Vitalis types and I prefer to cut their hair the way it is. I get a better read on the finished cut that way. A little bit of light gel in the hair isn't a problem but heavy gel/paste/hair glue has to come out. From your description, Chris, it sounds to me like you're wearing a medium or long "regulation" cut. I'd prefer to cut that without any product in it then put some product in it and look at it before I cut you loose

No matter what, though, a freshly shampooed head is always welcome in my chair. Sometimes that Pinaud Clubman behind me isn't always for the customer. An old barber taught me to rub some on the backs of my hands when a gentleman with particularly poor personal hygiene winds up in my chair. The mingled aroma of B/O and aftershave isn't my idea of heaven but it does help take the edge off.

This might sound crazy, but a lot of my customers tell me they're using Head & Shoulders shampoo and conditioner and their hair and scalps look good and healthy. My personal preference is Mane & Tail shampoo and conditioner from Straight Arrow at about $8.50 CDN per liter of each. I'm going to mention, as well, that conditioner makes a big difference for the better in a head of hair's appearance. Perverse, isn't it? We spend money to wash the natural oils out of our hair then spend more money to put something back in.

I also have male pattern baldness. Last summer I decided I had waaaay too much forehead for my old, "part on the left" style and I took it down to 1/4 of an inch with a taper up the back. Not to sound puffy, but at least half a dozen people I know have told me I look younger and I've been doing quite well with the ladies.

Regards,

Les
Last edited by JimDandy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAV

Post by KAV »

:lol: I have ManeNTail for my horses.
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

KAV wrote::lol: I have ManeNTail for my horses.
Exactly the same stuff. Discovered it worked for me years ago when I was still farming. Also discovered that Safeway sells it for half the price you see in tack and saddle shops.

Seriously. Give it a try.

Regards,

Les
KAV

Post by KAV »

It quickly became a women's salon 'discovery' after horsey girls used it.
I shocked them though. My mare's tails were a urine soaked disaster after winter. Following a old packers advice I used WD40 and had them combed out under 10 minutes and then shampooed out the oil.
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I'm very pleased with the Tabac Hair Cream. A half pea sized amount in the palm rubbed into towel dried shampooed hair... Nice hold and scent without looking too groomed. I purchased mine from our friend Phil @ Bullgoose.
Mike
95%

Post by 95% »

Mike, does it have the same scent as Tabac shaving soap, and does the scent linger as long, +/- 30 minutes?
Porter
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

95% wrote:Mike, does it have the same scent as Tabac shaving soap, and does the scent linger as long, +/- 30 minutes?
I'd call it a derivative scent to the Tabac Soap... Closer to the spicier Tabac Luxury Bath Soap scent... Pleasing, manly, and lingering.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vitalis works for me. No grease, not a "holder-in-place" like a spray or a gel. Apply a bit of the liquid to relatively moist hair, comb, and it has a nice lingering fragrance that I've come to really appreciate.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Flash G

Re: OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

Post by Flash G »

KAV wrote: I again turn to the forum for definitions like my earlier brush band meaning and scent names.
Cremes,gels,pomades,ointments,goos and things that go bump in the night; what are they?
Check these two old threads where Charles (qed) gives a good explenation on the whole hair business.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... hair+tonic

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... hair+tonic
Eric
IanM

Post by IanM »

Get a No2 buzz cut and have done. That's what I do.

No need to ponce around with barbers and 'topicals', and you can cut your own hair whenever you like. :wink:

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.