Another Sad Reformulation Tale

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rsp1202

Another Sad Reformulation Tale

Post by rsp1202 »

Stop me if you've heard this one before: I went shopping for one of my go-to bath bars, a slab of Tom's of Maine Deodorant Bar, unscented of course (it also comes in Lavender and Lemongrass). The Tom's has always been easy to find locally at Whole Foods, but I've now been to three of the stores and they have officially been pulled from the shelves. A sales clerk told me that all of Tom's bath soaps are being reformulated, and the store doesn't know when the new versions will become available.

What, the original had too much hemp in it? They were tired of having Somali pirates steal all the palm oil so they're switching to almond butter? And most of all -- Tom's? So the craze continues, making the world a safer place for . . . ?

Anyway, nuts. Oh, well. I like Green Mountain just as well, maybe better. Fuhgeddaboudem.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Well, I don't use the Tom's soap, but I can certainly empathize. Can't tell you how many times I've been through it in the last six years or so. But, as you say, the Green Mountain stuff is probably better anyway....hell, even I liked it well enough and everyone knows how I am ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
liam34

My Skin care routine

Post by liam34 »

I want to share my skincare routine. I use herbal soap and that's shop free. Daily after bath i use body lotion. I use hand and nail cream and foot cream. And obviously i drink 8-10 glass water and sleep 7-8 hours. I think proper sleep and drink enough water is a good secret of better skin. So what is your skin care routine?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

liam, I keep it simple, but high quality. I only use real soap, preferably tallow based. I don't over wash and I never use, or need, moisturizers etc. That, a decent shampoo ( currently Pinaud twice a week ), talc after the shower, Speed Stick deodorant, and the shave stuff. That's it. I too drink considerable water and shoot for 8 hours sleep per night.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I know there was a Mrs Olsen, Ben and Jerry,Jesus and Saint Nicholas. Is there a real Tom in Maine and what about ol' Burt and his bees? The whole Whole Foods,artisan made, orgasmically grown NATURAL market is a market response to consumer demand and what some political pundits dub the nanny state. I support this trend to a point. What I do not is being fed a kitsch lorraine of ersatz social responsibility by companies out to make a buck first and foremost. I should probably pick up some homeopathic Bach oils to calm down next time I shop Whole Foods. I would, but Trader Joe's sells a bottle of Laphroiag for less; and that, and Mitchell's Wool Fat work just fine.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yes, there is a Tom. He's out in his back yard remixing a vat of goo right now. Such "progress" isn't cheap, and "Shakespeare got to get paid, son." So I'm choosing to send my dough to Alabama, where progress stopped thirty years ago, instead of Maine.
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Before Squire downloads Lynard Skyner screaming 'Sweet Home Alabama' and sends some yallerhammer sleeved reenactors over you better explain what your buying.Change doesn't always equate with progress. :lol:
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

No, not an ode to "Southern Man," though it may have read like it.
http://www.gmsoap.com/
GM has been in business 30-odd years and still use the original formula.
Ron
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

rsp1202 wrote:No, not an ode to "Southern Man," though it may have read like it.
http://www.gmsoap.com/
GM has been in business 30-odd years and still use the original formula.
the GM soap looks interesting, I like the info on their website. See can order there but it just gives you page to fax and shipping is pretty steep. Can this soap be bought at any retailers or do you have to order through them?

Thanks!
Rob
KAV

Post by KAV »

I have to wonder how many worn copies of the FOXFIRE books sit on artisan soapmaker shelves?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Rob, I've ordered Green Mountain through these guys before:

http://www.natlallergy.com/prod/1642/gr ... gwodDQ1J1g

There are other sites that have slightly lower or higher prices, and make up the difference in shipping -- meaning it all comes out about the same. Be sure to specify either the original tallow or palm-based bars -- I've liked both. I've also used their liquid soap as a facial cleanser before and it does a good job. Lots of glycerin in these puppies, which turns out to be a good thing. Also be aware that when they say "unscented," they mean it. Gordon was shocked by how without-scent it was. :) Don't want any member here suffering sensory deprivation anxiety.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, it was decidedly unsettling. I mean, that stuff had NO scent. Truth be told, I'd probably be using their tallow base version if they'd just offer it with a little lavender or lemon scent, or something! It's a good product; lathered well, in no way annoyed my finicky skin, and of course, is considerably less expensive than Vinolia. But I really did have trouble coping with the total absence of scent ( chuckle )
Regards,
Gordon
Tacobell

Post by Tacobell »

You do know that Colgate-Palmolive owns Tom's of Maine. Sad but true.
David

Looks good but can you shave with it?
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I should probably pick up some homeopathic Bach oils to calm down next time I shop Whole Foods. I would, but Trader Joe's sells a bottle of Laphroiag for less; and that, and Mitchell's Wool Fat work just fine.
As long as you're not imbibing that Laphroiag in homeopathic doses, all should be well. (Who needs medical marijuana when you can saunter down to the local Trader Joe's for one's fix of single malt?)

Steve
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

KAV wrote:I have to wonder how many worn copies of the FOXFIRE books sit on artisan soapmaker shelves?
Last year my mother gave me a nicley boxed set of 3 soaps she got I thought she said she got at a craft fair. She had this woodsy theme going and the soaps were pine scented. They were labeled as Peppermint and Pine but they smelled distinctly (and overpoweringly) of Pine Sol disinfectant cleaner. Same exact stuff under the kitchen sink. No mint detected whatsover. Dries my skin out terribly.

Whoever that "artisan" soapsmith was, they need to find a new nose tester. Smells like accidentally using too much Pinesol in the mop bucket.

-I had to go read the box (the box I use for gun sight parts); Nature's Partners, Moisturizing Soap with Organic Shea Butter, Peppermint and Pine Moisturing Soap, with organic shea butter, triple refined, made from 100% pure vegetable oils and contains no animal fat.
[Ingredients; Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Frangrance (a whole bottle of pine sol I bet), Organic Shea Butter, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate.]

Well those Sunny Californians of Shugar Soap works have a better box than a bar of soap.
Tom
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We in the Infantry are blue sleeved, thank you very much.

Green Mountain, never heard of them, bookmarked the site though.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Maxx trip

Post by Squire »

I posted yesterday about some Caswell-Massey colognes at a local TJ Maxx. We left there yesterday after a late lunch and there were nine bottles remaining. When the store opened this morning they were gone.

Did find the following though:

a) Floris fleur talcum powder for $4.99. (light pleasant scent)
b) Two plastic bottles of Floris Limes bath gel for $3.99 each. (great aroma)
c) A 500 mil container of Pecksniff's Sandalwood & Vanilla liquid hand soap
for $4.99.

The hand soap will go into one of the office bathrooms, talcum set aside for later use and I don't know what I'll do with the lime bath gel but at that price I couldn't pass it up.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

How I managed to post that here instead of under a new topic I don't know. Busy day.
Regards,
Squire
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I like Grandpa's Witch Hazel Soaps. They are available a t vitacost.com for a little over $2 each.
Ed
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

totally off subject but definitely on topic:

HP sauce has been reformulated......oh!!!!!! the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum