Penhaligons or Floris Hair Tonics???

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Antique Hoosier

Penhaligons or Floris Hair Tonics???

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Do either of these concerns produce a current hair tonic/dressing for Gentlemen? Please advise.
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, No, I don't think so. You can hit on Fitch and Jani for many of the vintage ones, however ( chuckle....and good luck ). Of course, both firms offered some real gems in the past.
Regards,
Gordon
Antique Hoosier

So we can officially chalk up those glass bottled precious potion elixers as "the good old days" then?!?!? Shame...
Mike
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Mike, as Gordon put it, they once did.

Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumper's, Truefitt & Hill and D.R. Harris still do though and they have some really fine gems as well. Contact D.R. Harris for some of their Lerinia... superb stuff it is.

Edit: I almost forgot about Pashana. Their Eau de Quinine is very nice along with a few other products they have.
Regards,
Jani
Antique Hoosier

Jani... Thanks! Guess I better grab some luxury tonics while they are still available then!
Mike
F.W. Fitch

Re: Penhaligons or Floris Hair Tonics???

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Antique Hoosier wrote:Do either of these concerns produce a current hair tonic/dressing for Gentlemen? Please advise.

What's a shame...even as late as 8-10 years ago...Floris offered: "Honey & Flowers", "Verbena", "Special 127" and "No 89" hair lotions/brilliantines. I was very lucky to 'lasso-in' three of those four.

The "No 89" brilliantine is 'badass' stuff take my word. "Honey & Flowers" very distinct.

I spoke with a lady at Penhaligon's main Covent Garden shop concerning their hair product range ,and was told, they only offer a single one for Prince Charles no exceptions. Yeah, Jani even beat me with Penhaligon's as he has a very rare bottle of their "Lords" hair dressing.

All gone out-of-production now. No one is still alive (who used to) make it worth their while to make.

A.) Either men wear gel on their locks.

B.) Shave their heads entirely.

C.) Have no clue/interest.

D.) Have 'shoulder-length' hair and fancy getting into a band/football club.

Thanks
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fitch, Ah yes....that OLD product that Penhaligon's still makes just for HRH. What was it?....Pears Special Hair Lotion, or something like that, wasn't it? A specialty product that was not even originally one of their own?....sigh... . And good old Bargepole was a big fan of the Floris Honey and Flowers and still laments it's passing.
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

"Bayley Pear".

Good call also linking-it back to possibly the Bayleys of Bond 'Imperial Russian Leather' firm.

I did give it an earnest attempt to buy some as well. I even said I would purchase 'several' bottles, and she was resolute, that under no circumstance is it offered to anyone else. I think they've done me a big favor in hindsight.

As I sometimes listen to the groans & *straining* of those bedroom closet shelves in the early morn. hours.......it just had to stop you know?

I would love to see a bottle label of it though.

Best,
Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fitch, Sigh....indeed...so would I. Yes, Bayley's of Bond Street; fairly likely as that is a most uncommon spelling of that name. Shoot, I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of the old hair lotions that you DO have.
Regards,
Gordon