I forgot Caswell Massey makes good soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

I forgot Caswell Massey makes good soap

Post by Sam »

Everyone seemed to have found some Caswell Massey talc or soaps in TJ Maxx or Marshalls, and while Memphis had some, it was always Lilly of the Valley or more feminine-smelling stuff. I lucked upon three bars of Sandalwood for $8.99 and got them.

I had been trying to use up that huge bar of Claus Porto Vetyver and I swear it has been 6 months and still have like 25% to go. With fall approaching, was thinking of either Vinolia or the Sandalwood, and finishing it by spring (or breaking out the Vetyver again) until March and then using the Valobra Fougere (fern) that smells so good.

The CM lathered up great and the sandalwood gave me a nice fallish/winter smell. Oh, I need to get me some #6. I think I will use CM over Claus since Claus Porto went to all veggie based.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

It has been a couple or three years since I have used No 6
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I was struck by the Jockey Club scent's similarity to Pinaud and was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. Haven't tried the 6 (I mixed up the two earlier), but was also curious if that one is worth a go, both talc and soap.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ron, I dont know what happened to your post between the two of mine!!
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sorry, Sam. I realized I had mixed up the Jockey Club with the No. 6 so pulled it to rewrite it, but you had already answered. Sandalwood and the 6 are the only two scents I haven't tried. Don't know why I shy away from sandalwood, but it sounds like you enjoyed it. Are the soap scents long lasting or do they fade quickly?
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeez Sam! You must be quite the piker in the shower as a cake of Vinolia, for example, only lasts me about a month. I don't remember regarding those giant cakes of Claus Porto but I would assume about twice that long...no longer. Personally I've always been disappointed by the C-M bath soaps and always thought that the C&E specimens were better, even after C&E went the palm oil route. The C-M has been palm oil for as long as I can remember and they never seemed to lather that well and my skin didn't feel as good afterwards as it does with most high end soaps. The scents and presentation are nice, however.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

There are two kinds of CM Sandalwood soap; regular and woodgrain. The woodgrain is my favorite.

http://www.caswellmassey.com/sandalwood ... grain.aspx

Araner
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got home and pulled my soaps out and it is not the woodgrain. A bit dryer of a sandalwood, more sharp than sweet, compared to say the Trumper sandalwood cologne. The smaller bar, 3.25 ounce, but hey, 3 of them for $6.99 and tax was not bad. How does the woodgrain compare to the regular bar?

I dunno Gordon about 'conserving' the bar. I lather up and use a mesh bag to hold it in and it lasts. My wife is still on her red poppy bar she open in May. This bar lathers up better than the Claus Porto veggie bar, and well, it is more fragrant too. If you, or anyone, sees a steal on some No. 6, let me know, I wanna get some of those. Gotta smell me some Jockey Club, I think that was what JFK wore?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Choose which president you'd like to smell like:
http://www.caswellmassey.com/presidenti ... tmentId=41
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Well, that's what they've always claimed. Of course, they've never specified which Jockey Club product JFK was suppossedly partial to. It wouldn't surprise me though. In President Kennedy's Harvard days C-M was still a small privately owned operation known mainly to more upper crust Northeasteners. Kind of went with Brooks Brothers, J. Press....that sort of thing. And Jockey Club is one of their really old scents. During the 19th c. a 'jockey club' blend was de rigueur with firms like Gosnell and Truefitts in London and Ed. Pinaud in Paris. Whether their versions smelled anything like the C-M rendition, I have no idea.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, according to one source, JFK was partial to the C-M Jockey Club cologne. Here are a couple of old blog sites that discuss this, along with other presidential faves:
http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2010/03/my- ... assey.html
http://cocktailsandcologne.wordpress.co ... ll-massey/
Looks like they're discussing colognes, not soaps, per se.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Well, I dunno. It seems to me that they're just repeating what's in the C-M catalogues and simply assuming it was cologne....in the case of both Washington and Kennedy. I'm not saying that it wasn't, mind you, but C-M themselves have never specifically said, to my knowledge. No 6 could have been used to scent gloves originally, as Creed's Royal English Leather suppossedly was. BTW, Dr. Hunter brought the formula for No 6 with him from London when he came over to the Colonies. Anyway, that J. Press bit is interesting. Apparently it's current ( I've not had the opportunity to visit their shop in NYC for several years now ). For awhile they were selling the CF Lime cologne and shave cream....and the cologne was only about $50, how about that! In fact, the CF labelled Lime Cologne only showed up after they were no longer supplying it to J. Press.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

Sam wrote: How does the woodgrain compare to the regular bar?
The difference between the woodgrain and regular is...

For starters the appearance is different. The woodgrain looks like glossy woodgrain whilst the regular is a dull solid medium brown color. Scent wise I’d say that the woodgrain has a slightly more sophisticated aroma to it, more refined; but not so much better than the regular that that would be a key reason for preferring one over the other. Performance wise it’s not much different. So, I guess it all boils down to mere presentation; the woodgrain looks cooler than the regular.

I use the manly 5.8 oz bath size, but my petite little wife finds that size unwieldy; the darn thing looks like a football in her hand. So, she uses the regular sandalwood in the 3.25 hand soap size.

Araner
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, u gotta take what you can get. For the price, I could not pass it up.