A Mans Barber Shop

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
cvc

A Mans Barber Shop

Post by cvc »

Donnie Hawley explains what his shop is about. Hawleywoods in Costa Mesa and Long Beach Ca. I went here once for the experience. Cool place for men only. Actually saw them stop a woman at the door and told her "No women allowed, please wait outside and I'll be out there soon to answer any questions you have."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1z7hSh ... re=related
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Nice effort, but inately flawed. We are seeing a reaction to the emasculation of the western male; butt of commercial putdowns, awfull clothing,meaningless jobs if any.
So we see websites like ART OF MANLINESS and Hawleewoods, Don Draper's watches discussed on forums and countless B&M stores selling cigars,knives and stainless steel hip flasks along with Bogart posters.
The flaw can be understood watching a civil war reenactor group.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

There's a scary amount of ink on those guys, I just don't get it. Proof of manhood?.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

I don't have any problem with women coming into the shop I work at. Ladies are welcome to wait for their husbands or boyfriends. Mothers are welcome to wait for their sons. Ladies are conversed with and made to feel comfortable. If there's anything being said that's off color the tenor of the conversation changes immediately when a woman walks through the door and I've yet to hear any of the customers or my co-workers use profanity when there's a lady present.

This is, I believe, the way gentlemen should behave.

Regards,

Les
Last edited by JimDandy on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Wow. A for effort, but ultimately falls short.

About halfway through, they show an outside shot of the "crew" walking around the corner. Note the fake limp with the cane on the owner, and also note the face on the second-tallest gent (the one to the right of the owner). What a tool.
Jason

Post by EL Alamein »

I like the concept but am not keen (no pun intended) on the execution. Just smacks of poserdom.

Chris
Chap

Post by Chap »

They certainly seem to have strayed into the realms of affectation.
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

KAV wrote:. . . Don Draper's watches discussed on forums . . .
Indeed. That men now advertise a "He-man Wimen Haters Club" policy indicates the extent that social forms of male privilege are mistaken for the substance of manliness. Manliness' value over replacement trait(s) is no longer great enough to warrant those privileges.

One solution (or salve) is to create a simulation of the vanquished form. But every day presents opportunities to develop one's virtues, so I don't understand those who, today, hold their manhoods cheap because they did not fight at Agincourt.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

That seems like a nice place. I don't understand the tattoos. They are a huge distraction. I like the Idea of catering to just men. A place to escape if even for just an hour. I think that message could be conveyed without telling women that they cannot come in. It's just not a gentlemanly thing to do to anybody.