Seborrheic Dermatitis

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
BeatlesFan

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Post by BeatlesFan »

Throughout my adult life, I've suffered (esp. in the winter) from red, flaky skin on my cheeks and also to a degree on my forehead.

My dermatologist diagnosed seborrheic dermatitis.

This is a good website about it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seborr ... is/DS00984

A good part of why I put so much emphasis on shaving technique and products is the difference it makes to this condition. If I shave electrically, for example, I tend to get an unacceptable build-up of flaky skin.

But if I shave with a good DE razor, and especially if I use the right lather, it removes most of the flakes, and really helps control the whole situation.

For some reason, I find that the best shaving soaps help more than canned foam, canned gel or even most lathering shaving creams (T&H, etc.) I don't know why that is, esp because the Mayo Clinic website says to AVOID soaps. Go figure.

I also seem to get quite a lot of benefit from 1.0% cortisone cream, and a little moisturizer.

I've got to believe that some other men on SMF also suffer from this condition. Anyone have any experience or insight?
nelson

Post by nelson »

I also have had to deal with Seborrheic Dermatitis for many years. On the advice of two different dermatologists I use shampoos such as the Head & Shoulders "Intensive Treatment" as a face wash at 2 or 3 day intervals. It seems to work very well at keeping my face clear. Of course the the 1% cortisone cream or oitment works pretty well; however, I now only use them if, for some reason, I haven't used the shampoo for a week or so. Then, I would use the cream or ointment for 4 or 5 days until I get to a point where the shampoo can keep it at bay.

nelson
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Thank you Nelson. I'm glad that routine is helping you.

Do you find any specific "do's and don'ts" about shaving with this condition? As I say, I do find that shave soap works better than cream.

Do you have any shaving tips?
nelson

Post by nelson »

I don't have any special shaving routine. My standard setup is a Schick J1 injector razor with the current production Chinese made Schick blades and lather shaving cream (Taylor, Trumper, D R Harris, Musgo Real, or Omega). I normally use 3 passes. One somewhat odd habit I have is shaving before, not after, a shower. The only thing I would recommend when shaving is to use a very lite touch over the red or flaky areas of your face until they have cleared. Once the redness and flaking have stopped, continue in the prevent mode with the dandruff shampoo as a face wash, done easily and conveniently while you are showering and washing your hair. I don't currently use shaving soaps, but this simply reflects my preference for cream over soap.

nelson