Favorite Bath Soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Hoos wrote:I really like the bath soaps from Agraria, in particular the Balsam. Really nice scent, but not strong. The Lavender & Rosemary is also nice.

For a bodywash, I really like Kiehl's Pour Homme. St. Ives used to make a really great, bright grapefruit scent (not the sweeter smelling junk they make now) and I've been trying to find a replacement for it.
Brent, have you tried The Body Shop's Pink Grapefruit shower gel? I stumbled across some in a Marshall's a while back: very bright, fresh, natural-smelling.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Wow, I didn't realize there were that many different bath soaps available!

Until I try some of these previously mentioned ones, my favorites are both Pre de Provence... Peony and Lavender. I like the L'Occitane scent bath soap as well, but from what I understand, they're discontinuing that one.
Made with Macintosh!
whispercircuit

RE: English Yardley

Post by whispercircuit »

Gordon, where in NYC can you get the English version of the Yardley?
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Unfortunately, Martin de Candre sent a sample of soap along with the shaving soap I ordered. Unfortunately, I think it was the best I’ve ever used. Unfortunately, I’m now going to have to figure out the optimal number of bars to order vs. the absurd shipping costs from France in order to confirm my initial impression. Unfortunately, I’m now in the process of slowly explaining to my spousal unit (and this will take time) why on earth do I need to spend an ungodly sum of money purchasing soap from an obscure manufacturer in France. This will take time.

Steve
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

May the Force be with you my young padawan. You are going to need it.
SteveK wrote:Unfortunately, Martin de Candre sent a sample of soap along with the shaving soap I ordered. Unfortunately, I think it was the best I’ve ever used. Unfortunately, I’m now going to have to figure out the optimal number of bars to order vs. the absurd shipping costs from France in order to confirm my initial impression. Unfortunately, I’m now in the process of slowly explaining to my spousal unit (and this will take time) why on earth do I need to spend an ungodly sum of money purchasing soap from an obscure manufacturer in France. This will take time.

Steve
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Whisper, Cambridge Chemists always stocked it. Pasteur's prices are much better but they only have it sometimes, often not. New London in Chelsea might stock it, I don't remember for sure.
Regards,
Gordon
SRD

Post by SRD »

The price for the English made Yardley is very reasonable via cvs online, at least compared to what I paid for my last three bars. It's the 4th or 5th item on this page.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/search ... &x=18&y=10
Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, That is an outstanding price. CVS....who knew? I sure wish some of their stores around here would stock it.
Regards,
Gordon
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gordon,

I checked the link out, and they have a tab marked "Ingredients". So, I followed it and see this:

"Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragrance), Isopropyl Lanolate, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, BHT, Terasodium Etidronate, (Chromium Oxide Greens),(Iron Oxides), (Zinc Oxide, (Barium Sulfate)."

That's the English. The US version (at the top of the page) still lists Sodium Tallowate as the number one ingredient.

Am I missing something here?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gene, No, my good man, you have simply not been paying adequate attention ( chuckle ). The genuine English version unfortunately switched over to palm oil around the time that most of the other top shelf brands/makers did; Floris, Claus Porto, Bronnley, and the rest. It is still a very high quality soap however. Palm oil soaps don't work for my skin but many gents have no specific issue with them. The made under license US version is not triple milled, is still tallow based ( as is Ivory and Palmolive for that matter ) and is available for a good price in many supermarkets and chain drugstores. It is an excellent soap for the money IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Gene, No, my good man, you have simply not been paying adequate attention ( chuckle ). The genuine English version unfortunately switched over to palm oil around the time that most of the other top shelf brands/makers did; Floris, Claus Porto, Bronnley, and the rest. It is still a very high quality soap however. Palm oil soaps don't work for my skin but many gents have no specific issue with them. The made under license US version is not triple milled, is still tallow based ( as is Ivory and Palmolive for that matter ) and is available for a good price in many supermarkets and chain drugstores. It is an excellent soap for the money IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
Just one note: Ivory, at least around these parts, is not tallow based anymore and this has been the case for a few years.

Chris
Gene

Post by Gene »

Well, I know about the US Yardley, I have used it and it is very nice. I did miss the memo about Engklish Yardley switching, however.

Chris, I bought 3-pack of Ivory the other day, it still lists Sodium Tallowate as the first ingredient, although ti did admit that it was either tallow or something else. Is that what you mean?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was at the local Hispanic grocery store a while back, and just for fun picked up some extremely inexpensive Mexican-made bath soap, basically all tallow, with just one or two other ingredients. Seems to work just fine.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yeah, I've seen that stuff here as well. I've never tried any although I've thought about it and kept it in the back of my mind.
Regards,
Gordon