Favorite Bath Soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I normally use Irish Spring in the abrasive formula. It is genuine tallow and hard milled. Right now I tried some Yardley's lavender and Oatmeal? soaps I ordered on-line. Probably weren't British because I didn't know there was such a thing. Work fine. According to the boxes the main ingredient for each is sodium tallowate and the second is sodium cocoate. Maybe the US version is not so bad.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, The US version of Yardley soaps definately are not bad, especially for the price. But the real made in England ones are nicer, IMO. They've just become too much of a hassle to get and too expensive for many. I still buy a few cakes at times when I'm in NYC but that's about it.
Regards,
Gordon
SRD

Post by SRD »

For the last year or so I have been using Nesti Dante from Italy. I especially enjoy the Cypress scent. It is a huge bar and simply does an outstanding job with an wonderfully fresh fragrance. No additives either.
Dave
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Mine are Claus Porto - currently have Orange Blossom and Red Poppy
Nesti Dante
Roger & Gallet - I have a JMF and just finished a Cedrat
Yardley Luxury - Lavender, Rose and Lilly of the Valley
J & E Atkinsons which are still Tallow
La Compagnie de Provence - Verbena
mikey

Post by mikey »

I have always been an Irish Spring (tallow based) kind of guy. However, I do want to try the Claus Porto soap.

Thanks,
Mike
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have in the last 6 months or so become very partial to Yardley's English Lavender.

A couple of days ago, my wife made a Walgreen's run and came home with a bar of the Yardley Oatmeal and Almond. She has used it and is now in love with that scent.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

My wife bought me some D R Harris Almond Oil soap for Yule so that has now gone to the top of my list.

Seems to be lasting quite well, so far.

I have never tried Yardley lavender soap, despite it only costing about £2.40 and being available just about everywhere here.

Might give it a run out soon.

Vinolia is cheapest though (per gram).
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Had to stop using the Valobra as it was giving me pimples. (I've found other tallow-based bath soaps do this as well.)

For the last week or so I've been using Droyt's Unperfumed Glycerine Soap. Think Pears, but without the added colours or perfumes. It's a wonderfully refreshing soap which leaves me feeling clean and washes off nice and easy. As a plus, it's made here in England (Lancashire).

Araner

Post by Araner »

A few months ago I bought some Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna Luxury soap as an add-on to an order so I could get free shipping. Man, I have to say that it was the best thoughtless impulse buy I’ve made in a long time. The performance is very good; I expected that much, but the scent is out-of-this-world. I look forward to showering just for the excuse to smell the soap. This soap has taken the place of my long, long, time favorite Caswell – Massey Sandalwood soap; not that I won’t be revisiting it in the future.

Anyway, the C&E Sienna bar soap is well worth giving a try in my opinion.

Per the website: Scented with a masculine blend of leather, citrus and spice, this vegetable-based soap is formulated with special moisturizing ingredients to help prevent dryness and antioxidant vitamin E to help condition the skin. 3 bars, 5.3 oz. each

Regards,
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Seeker, That Droyt's soap has an interesting history. That family started commercially making soap in Tsarist Russia in the late 19th c. Then came the Revolution and they managed to flee to Germany where they set up shop again. But alas, next it was the Nazis and they were not the sort that the Nazi ideology approved of and so they had to flee again, and they also succeeded this time, lucky for them. So, eventually it was in Merry Ole England that they finally came to roast. A fine tale, and a good product, but unfortunately, not for me. Glycerine soaps of that type tend to dry and irritate my skin.
Regards,
Gordon
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

A fascinating history indeed! I must try their glycerine-based shaving soap.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I guess I'm generally more contemporary in this department... very much enjoy Pre de Provence soaps (just ordered a case of mixed scents), Mitchell's, Sharp's - Lime & Bergamont (wonderful fragrance, squeaky clean... but doesn't last long), Nancy Boy soaps and EverBamboo bamboo charcoal soap...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Just got in some Yardley of London Lavender. This is the one from England. I also added a couple of Claus Porto bars to this order. Looking forward to trying these and comparing with the Italian soap I normally use.
Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

curiosity question: how do you store soap when you aren't using it, or do you gents finish a whole bar before starting something new?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
paddy

Post by paddy »

i've been using savon de marseille soaps from various french houses for the last few years and am settled on that for now. either palm oil or the olive oil type. some of the recipies and methods of production go back well over 150 years.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I really like the bath soaps from Agraria, in particular the Balsam. Really nice scent, but not strong. The Lavender & Rosemary is also nice.

For a bodywash, I really like Kiehl's Pour Homme. St. Ives used to make a really great, bright grapefruit scent (not the sweeter smelling junk they make now) and I've been trying to find a replacement for it.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
SRD

Post by SRD »

fallingwickets wrote:curiosity question: how do you store soap when you aren't using it, or do you gents finish a whole bar before starting something new?

clive
Clive I tend to use one up before moving on to the next one.
Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Yes, like Dave, and although this is probably hard to believe ( chuckle ) I use up the whole cake before starting a new one. If it's a soap that I'm not familiar with and it doesn't seem to be working out I just chuck it or finish it up as a hand soap.
Regards,
Gordon
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I'm on my last bar of English Yardley Sandalwood I bought last year as a three pack. Initially after removing the shrink wrap, I found the scent overpowering to the point of nausea and promptly gave a bar away. A decision I now regret because after time passed, the scent calmed down a great deal. Any thoughts on a replacement that doesn't resemble at CBW when new?. I'm considering Pre de Provence, Claus Porto appears rather pricey.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks....for some reason i imagined this soap rotation 'thing' going on......but you guys go through soap pretty quickly so its not a long wait for the next bar lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum