Tres Flores Molding Pomade

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
function

Tres Flores Molding Pomade

Post by function »

I found this at a local barber supply about two years ago and gave it a shot because it was inexpensive, $4 US.

Hair gels break up and leave residue, waxes are too tough to wash out, and the thought of paying $23 for 3oz of a product was pretty off-putting.

This isn't the Tres Flores Brilliantine that comes with a free pack of hair nets and appears to be marketed toward those of Mexican heritage, it is a 6oz tub, thicker than a gel, and a fingertip full goes a long way.

The scent is neutral, a little "barbershopish" and not heavily perfumed, the hold is good provided you take the time to warm up the product with your hands and work it in thoroughly. The product does not enjoy water, and will dissolve in wet hands becoming almost useless. The hold lasts a good 10 hours, but that may vary for those with longer hair.

The best feature, for me anyway, is the product is water based and washed out with ease.

The worst feature is it will add more weight to my suitcase when I travel it home as the 6oz tub is no longer carry-on friendly. The second worst feature is it is just not easy to find at a b&m.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nick, it sounds like a version of Groom & Clean by Suave. I use the G&C daily and like it because it never truly dries but gets a little firmer. However, it sounds like there maybe a key difference between these two products and that is that G&C likes water - in drop quantities only. It helps the product spread through the hair more evenly. G&C is also water based so it rinses right out in the shower. For someone like myself who likes to slick their hair this is a must have attribute in a hair pomade.

There is one other defunct product that it sounds similar to: Pinaud hair pomade with horse nettle. I used that for quite a while before abandoning it for G&C. It was good stuff and had a wonderful scent but sometimes it would get too dry for me.

I'll have to check out the Tres Flores just to compare. Thanks for the tip.

Chris