Pinaud hair tonic

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Pinaud hair tonic

Post by brothers »

I occasionally make a pilgrimage to a very old and still in business barber and beauty supply brick and mortar store. I spotted a few bottles behind the counter and bought several. I ended up with 2 hair tonics, 1 after shave, and 1 eau de cologne. The hair tonics intrigued me. I have used Vitalis for decades because it works and I like it.

Anyway, the Pinaud hair tonics are Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine. I've come to enjoy them as I have gone over to a 3 product rotation, giving preference to my excellent Vitalis whenever the mood strikes me. The Pinaud tonics are primarily alcohol. They are lacking in whatever it is that works so well with Vitalis, however, and probably won't be replaced when they are used up.

PS: Now I'm pretty sure that someday I'll get make a point to get some top quality Eau de Quinine and Ear de Portugal Fragrance products from the higher end makers, one of these days, due to the fact that I do find the fragrances of these hair tonics are pleasant to my nose, and I wouldn't mind splashing them on my face after shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Those hair tonics also make great aftershaves
brothers

Post by brothers »

I confess (I have used them for that too!).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Reflecting back on the 4 products mentioned above:
  • Pinaud Eau de Portugal hair tonic: I like the citrusy fragrance right out of the bottle, but immediately upon applying it, the fragrance vanishes.

Pinaud Eau de Quinine: I really dig the fragrance. It stays with me for a long time, and I am pleased about that. (This is what I like about my long time favorite Vitalis.)

Lucky Tiger Aspen After Shave: I've been firmly directed to stop using it, the first time my dear wife figured out where the smell was coming from!

And finally, Pinaud Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne. I like it fine. Smells just like it's name, imagine that! However, it has taken me about a month to realize that on the days I have used it, I sneeze all day long. Bummer, it's on the same shelf as the Aspen.
PS: I think the "list" feature is cool.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, I don’t recall what’s in the Vitalis either but I suspect it might be mineral oil or an equivalent. I also have a bottle of Vitalis that I use occasionally. I used it as a teen and it reminds me of that time and of hot summers in Philadelphia.

Anyway, have you looked at the Jeris hair tonic? They make two types I think, one with oil and one without. The scent to my nose is a lot like Skin Bracer so I don’t know if that interests you or not but there you go. I mention it because sometimes my barber will splash it on my hair and neck after a cut and I really enjoy it. I wear Skin Bracer aftershave quite a bit so this sort of thing appeals to me. If this sort of thing is up your alley then perhaps the one with oil might be something that you’re looking for. I haven’t bought any Jeris hair tonic yet but I think I might just give it a try one of these days, perhaps as we get closer to Summer.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll look for some Jeris. But I can't give up my Vitalis! :D
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I use the Jeris without oil and squirt some into my palms after I have showered and toweled off, and then rub it in the hair and scalp and let hair, what is left, air dry. SMell more than anything else. used to love Coronis, but it was expensive and the oil did not do much, unless I applied too much
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've decided that using the Pinaud Eau de Portugal and Eau de Quinine on my hair was only accomplishing two unrelated results:

first, my hair, what hair I still have, was drying out, and a straight razor won't even cut it anymore, for the hanging hair test, because it's so lightweight and frail.

second, it was just preventing me from using my old favorite, Vitalis. So, from now on, I'm sticking exclusively to Vitalis for the hair and using these two pleasant smelling alcohol based splashes on my face, post shave.
Gary