Daily Facial Cleanser for Men

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
chris1978

Daily Facial Cleanser for Men

Post by chris1978 »

I went to the mall went to the store "Sephora" and brought the Anthiony Logistics Algae Facial Cleanser for Normal to Dry Skin Fragrance Free and I read the ingredients and I found the word "METHYLPARABEN". I try to back off to not to use Paraben at all. I have been using the same facial cleanser twice in the past and now this my third times. I don't know if I can use it again. I woul really like to try different facial wash for daily, you know everyday.

Does anyone know what good or better facial cleanser that I can use daily so that my skin won't irritated.
I have try Neutrogena Skin Clearing Face Wash Oil Free more than a few times and which is good Sensitve skin for all skin types but I would like to go back and use it again. MAYBE. What do you think?

I need big help for you I don't know what to do. My skin types is Sensitive and has pimple once in a while but it go away after a few days and my forehead using red and bit itchy. I haven't been using Aveeno Ultra-calming Foaming cleanser for awhile and I only use it for my forehead and that was really help my red forehead go way and I like it.

Any really good daily facial cleanser that good for my skin. I need something that has no paraben or Natural ingredients. Any advice?

Chris A
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

How about Dove soap?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm with Wendell, try Dove soap or even just a plain old soap.

Facial scrubs, IMHO, are a marketing ploy and entirely unnecessary or even useless. I personally believe they can even be harmful for your skin, causing it irritation through over exfoliation.

Hope that helps.

Chris
paddy

Post by paddy »

i've been using baxter of california facial cleanser for the past few years now. it's very mild and doesn't strip the skin. worth a try.

personally i use a scrub and find it to be beneficial for me, although i use it only about once per week and never where i shave as no need as shaving exfoliates anyway. after a lot of trial and effort i've finally settled on zirh for this.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

jww wrote:How about Dove soap?
The other thing I forgot to mention --- plain warm/hot water --- you shouldn't get any reaction to that so long as you don't have it hot enough to scald your skin.

And yes -- I quoted myself instead of editing the post --- because I could. \:D/
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Most over-the-counter cleansers I've tried have been wretched. Too much of one thing or not enough of another -- and it's a crapshoot as to how you're going to react to their chemical-soup of ingredients. Best rule of thumb I've found is the less ingredients the better, no matter if it's sulfate-based (especially) or more "natural."

For sensitive skin, Caswell-Massey's Swiss-made, rosewater-flavored glycerine soap was excellent, but is not currently listed on their website. Neutrogena Original Unscented soap is not quite as "pure," but is unharmful. And another honorable mention for Green Mountain's liquid soap. It does a very good job at face cleansing.

For liquid cleansers, I've found these to be gentle and effective: Free and Clear; Clinique for Men Regular Face Wash (not the Extra-Strength); Malin+Goetz Grapefruit Facial Cleanser (the last being quite good and quite expensive). Free and Clear has little bad or questionable stuff in it, and it won't break the bank, but it's only available mail order.
Ron
Gene

Post by Gene »

I've wondered about this, too.

Thanks to SMF I have started looking at the ingredients lists on items I buy these days, and I can tell you I don't understand most of what I read.

Earlier post on this thread discussed using regular soap, but what does that mean anymore? I thought Ivory soap was as plain a soap as you could get, but its ingredient list is confusing as all get-out.

Maybe Kirk's Castille? I like that stuff.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Chris - please take a look at www.cetaphil.com their Gentle Cleaner is very good. It does have your dreaded "parabens" but is still widely recommended or you could try their bars which are paraben free.
Good shaving,

Gary
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

I would recommend a Valobra toilet soap suited to your skin type.

The Glicerlanolina & Primula are recommended for sensitive skins.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Gene wrote: Maybe Kirk's Castille? I like that stuff.
I would seriously advise against using it on your face. I like the feeling of being "squeaky clean" but this stuff works like an engine degreaser and destroys any skin oils it comes into contact with. No issues below the neck but my face was destroyed by this soap and took a week+ to recover. :shock:
Ed
Gene

Post by Gene »

kronos9 wrote:
Gene wrote: Maybe Kirk's Castille? I like that stuff.
I would seriously advise against using it on your face. I like the feeling of being "squeaky clean" but this stuff works like an engine degreaser and destroys any skin oils it comes into contact with. No issues below the neck but my face was destroyed by this soap and took a week+ to recover. :shock:
Well, there you go. The ingredient list looks harmless enough.

Saw a soap at a shop today called LUX. First ingredient is Sodium Tallowate. Then water. Nice sized bar for $2.35. Any thoughts on this? The shop, BTW, was a British shop called Taste of Britian. I went there after a lunch appointment, wondering if they stocked Vinolia (no), but they did have this, along with a ton of Tea Kettles (all claiming "Made in England") and other British esoterica.

No shaving gear.

*edit for spelling
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Chris, Wendell, and some of the others; look for a quality traditional soap and put any thoughts of those 'facial cleansers' and whatnot out of your head.
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

bernards66 wrote:I agree with Chris, Wendell, and some of the others; look for a quality traditional soap and put any thoughts of those 'facial cleansers' and whatnot out of your head.
Regards,
Gordon
Chris - I respectfully disagree with the fine gentleman and feel it best you do a bit of investigation on the differences of how soaps and facial cleansers work especially given your skin and issues that you experience. There is a sea of products out there in both categories and my only suggestion is that expensive and highly marketed products are not necessarily the best for you.
Good shaving,

Gary
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I'm quite happy with Musgo Real's Glycerine Lime Oil Soap ("MR GLO"). Dove's new men's line of soaps is quite good too. Men-U's face wash and Neutrogina's "Razor Defense Daily Scrub" is acceptable to me. Gillette's new "thermal scrub" screams gimmick whenever I try it. :roll:
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Soaps get a bad rap by the liquid cleanser manufacturers, that they clog pores, dry out your face, etc. Phooey. They rinse much cleaner and quicker than any liquid I've tried. The good ones don't overdry, either. I do go back and forth between solids and liquids, but usually return to the latter only to avoid soap-bar mess and carry, not because of any superior cleansing results.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I much prefer the better bath soaps. Valobra, Vinolia, and my personal favorite, the old Castle Forbes bar soap. I have one of those left and will use it once the Italian Soap that Big Ren sent me is used up - that sucker is like a Claus Porto, it keeps going and going.

Have tried the Baxter product and the various Anthony Logistics, but another one was the milk and oatmeal round hand soap from Molton Brown. They have a mens bath bar that has milk in it.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

I agree with Gordon on this, as some of you may have read in my earlier posts I spent a fortune on these so called facial washes, toners, moisturisers etc, and I can tell you it did more damage than good.

Keep it simple, I no longer use anything, just warm water on my face once a day and my shave, skin has never looked better.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have been using just a regular bar of Yardley's for a while now with good success.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I also tried all the fancy stuff out there and realized that my bath soap works just fine. I use middle of the road bar soaps(french soaps and artisan soaps). Once a week I do use a French Clay mask as well but only because I enjoy the way it leaves my face feeling. I know it dries the hell out of it but I do use a witch hazel blend(Thayers Lemon) afterwards.

I will say that my face is consider very normal though. I dry my face and the skin does what it is suppose to and fix it naturally.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

IF you can get past the naming and the cucumber scent, Nancy Boy makes a very nice facial cleanser though it is a bit runny, "tested on boyfriends, not animals" . :roll:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits