Tabac soap: I'm tempted

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
changabang

Tabac soap: I'm tempted

Post by changabang »

Give me a reason to lay out a Hamilton for Tabac soap. Is it triple milled? Does it last long? Does it have that wonderful scent of the shaving soap? :D
James Nicks
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Percy, I would put Hamilton back in the treasury, it's not worth it IMHO. I've used it in the past and I was not impressed. I got it for dirt cheap years ago in an online purchase and used it.

Like everything Tabac, the scent is somewhat different in the bath soap than the shave soap. It's not triple milled if I recall correctly (but I could be wrong on that point) and it performs like supermarket Yardley. And I am under the impression that Tabac's station in marketing in Germany was to be a sort of equal to Old Spice and Yardley etc. And it performs no different than those bath soaps did. The only difference is the price.

That said, if that's what you're looking for then by all means.

Hope that helps.

Chris
paddy

Post by paddy »

i rate it and use it regularly in my rotation. a top class performer.

i think that the good doctor is also a fan. iirc he once posted a picture of his stash of tabac. it was so big that if you looked at it for long enough it would burn your retinas out.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
giammi

Post by giammi »

Tabac is a classic in German speaking countries, probably, as already mentioned, comparable to old Spice. You can buy it in nearly every drugstore - at least the aftershave. The aftershave also had his big revival in the 80's.

I am not a big fan of the scent, but rate the soap top for its performance and lather quality. Scent wise I prefer the aftershave.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
krissy

Post by krissy »

The scent is either you love it or hate it for most. But it's most definitely worth buying and trying out. If your unsure of the scent maybe you know someone who would be willing to slice off a tiny sliver off a puck and mail to you for you to smell first. But performance wise, it's great stuff !!!
www.Prairie-Creations.com ~ Not your average artisan shaving soaps and creams (both tallow and non-tallow) and more
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks, Guys, especially Chris, as it IS the bath soap I'm inquiring about. I was just hoping the scent is the same as the shaving soap and that it has enough longevity to justify the price. Unfortunately, I found that not to be the case with Vinolia; hence the question here. Mr. Hamilton may stay in the wallet.
James Nicks
SRD

Post by SRD »

This is an interesting product. I did not find the scent so bad and I must say it very easily produced piles of very luxurious lather. The shaves were good with it. I gave the glass bowl almost 90% full to my brother. Why? For me there were just that something special missing that I get from other soaps and creams. I did not look forward to this coming up in rotation. Don't really know why. I can't knock the product at all. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.
Dave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Let's be clear - I believe this thread to be about the BATH SOAP, not the shaving soap. I have never tried the bath soap, and didn't even know it was available outside Germany.
The shaving soap is wonderful, which goes without saying!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
giammi

Post by giammi »

drmoss_ca wrote:Let's be clear - I believe this thread to be about the BATH SOAP, not the shaving soap.Chris
After the spammer comment now this..seems I am doing nothing right in this forum today 8)
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
SRD

Post by SRD »

giammi wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:Let's be clear - I believe this thread to be about the BATH SOAP, not the shaving soap.Chris
After the spammer comment now this..seems I am doing nothing right in this forum today 8)
:lol: Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I am in the same boat today.
Dave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The truth always hurts!

Chris :?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Seems that there was a lack of focus here on Saturday ( chuckle ). One must stay awake with this crowd. Like Chris I tried the Tabac bath soap years ago and don't remember being that impressed. Back then I used to use the C&E bath soap usually and remember feeling that it was the better of the two.
Regards,
Gordon