Foot creams

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
95%

Foot creams

Post by 95% »

Any recommendations? My podiatrist has been on my case for a couple of years now, telling me to use a moisturizing cream on my feet. They tend to have flaky cracked skin and callouses on the big toe, ball of the foot, and the heel. At my last visit, he used Jergen's Ultra Healing lotion on them. It's a nice generic skin cream with a lilac scent, and I bought an inexpensive bottle at Walgreen's, but I wonder if there's something better on the market.
Porter
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Here's what I recommend: In the shower use a pumice stone to wear down the callouses. Once out of the shower and just before bed rub Vaseline all over your feet and then put socks over it. In the morning there should be a slightly noticeable difference. Repeat the Vaseline treatment nightly until your feet are smooth and supple. This has worked for everyone I've recommended it to and who have followed through with it thus far.

Chris
95%

Post by 95% »

Chris - Your mention of the pumice stone takes me back to my younger days, when I used it exactly as you describe. It was safer than debriding the callouses with a single-edged razor blade, which was my alternative method.

My podiatrist last week prescribed 40% urea cream for the callouses. It looks and feels like any skin cream, but it contains an acid that gradually eats away at the rough thick skin. It's working, and together with a moisturizing cream, it should enable my feet to look and feel normal. All these years I've neglected them, when a little common sense and a minimal amount of care would have kept them much more comfortable.
Porter
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My podiatrist sold me a jar of a paste that dissolved calluses and gradually left me with calus free feet (they still need a little rubbing with abrasive to get the softened callus off). I believe it was called Callex. It had some protien dissolving emzime like papien that gradually ate away the dead skin. It took several weeks and almost the whole jar, but it was pretty good. If you just want to soften the skin then I have tried and recommend Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream-fragrance free. It is really effective and much stiffer than most creams. Comes in a 2 oz tube that costs only about 3 or 4 dollars. "a little goes a long way' according to the package, but I use a lot and get my feet a little greasy at night. In the morning I just put on socks and wait till evening to shower and the stuff has really softened my skin.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
95%

Post by 95% »

Pete, thank you. I'll look for Callex and have already found it on the Web. The price sure beats the $125 I paid for 40% prescription-strength urea cream in a large 198.6 tube. It's dissolving the callouses gradually, but probably no faster than Callex would. Most of all, I give credit to the moisturizing skin cream I'm using twice a day.
Porter