Need advice on hair tonic/cream please

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
ATLpr8head

Need advice on hair tonic/cream please

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have review after review on hair products. I currently use Brylcreem and very happy with it. I have used Groom & Clean and Wildroot with good results but honestly dont care for the scents. I have also used Top Brass which my dad uses to this day but of course it reminds me of my dad. I would really like to use a nice tonic or English cream that is similiar to Brylcreem.

Not a great picture but I am in the middle in the first pic. Short hair with a natural wavy curl after it grows 1.5 inches. I have receding hair lines as well. I just want to pull it down straight and dont care about the baldness at all. I want a nice sheen and no tackiness/stickiness. No gel or pomade. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lindy
Vendor

Post by Lindy »

Have you tried buying and using Jojoba Oil? You only need a drop or two to tame frizziness and control the curl. You can pick it up at any health food store.

Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax that closely resembles human sebum....
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Thanks Lindy,
I have not tried it but it it right near the Thayers at my local health food store. That would keep it simple and cheap:)
F.W. Fitch

Re: Need advice on hair tonic/cream please

Post by F.W. Fitch »

[quote="ATLpr8head"] review on hair products. I would really like to use a nice tonic
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stop past your local Walgreens and see if there are any bottles of Protein 29 on the shelf. It is an American classic and not oily at all. Comes in a small plastic bottle....not the tube....that's their gel. I used to see it ,along with, their Protein 29 aftershave lotion ,but has not been there last I checked. You might also grab a tube of the Alberto VO5 hair dressing. It is also right beside the Protein 29 and other grooming aids.

Atlanta Barber Supply stocks another fantastic American tonic of yesterday "Beau Kreml". Those are all wonderful, neglected products for gentlemen. If you want to spend a bit more for the 'tops' then look into Paul Mitchell hair products. Sometimes carried at a local beautician shop or salon. My work here is done.

Best,
Fitch

mme29710

Post by mme29710 »

I purchased two tubes of Tabac hair cream from Phil. It is absolutely wonderful. I also recently ordered TOBS #74. I can't wait to try this out.
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have come to the conclusion that Brylcreem is th best product for me. Its light, goes on easy, smells pleasant, and works great. If it aint broke then dont fix it. I am desperately trying to work through a bottle of Wildroot as I hate to toss it. It works good but not the easiest to use. It doesnt absorb into the hair at all. Very waxy feeling.
Shawn
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

ATLpr8head wrote: I am desperately trying to work through a bottle of Wildroot as I hate to toss it. It works good but not the easiest to use. It doesnt absorb into the hair at all. Very waxy feeling.
I have the same issue with my wildroot. I have other lanolin based grooms, and they don't have anywhere near the problems wildroot seems to.

Also, the protein 29 "gel" is like groom and clean, not like what you think of as "gel." I actually like that "gel" a lot.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've said it before in other threads --- Vitalis! The only one I've used since high school. (Back then my hair was longer and I got to try all the stuff on the shelves, even Murray's Pomade for a time.) Now that was some good stuff. They still sell it, and every time I notice it, I stop and pop open a can and take a big whiff! Ahhh, brings back some memories. . . . Wildroot Cream Oil and Brylcreem too!
Last edited by brothers on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SRD

Post by SRD »

I use Brylcreem. Seems to work best for me though I do want to try the TOBS #74 hair tonic.
Dave