A haircut to remember

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
95%

A haircut to remember

Post by 95% »

In the latter part of life, small things matter.

Today I had my hair cut by the most skilful barber I’ve ever encountered. Not that I’ve been discriminating in the past. For decades I have frequented the fast in-and-out unisex salons, where the stylists are lightly trained females. They do the job in about five minutes, for the price of $14 plus tip. Since I have little hair, I thought it didn’t matter. But I’ve learned more recently that even thinning hair needs to be carefully tended.

On the recommendation of a friend, I visited a barbershop in an unpretentious strip mall in my city. The proprietor is a young man who learned his craft at State Street Barbers in Boston. He quickly and expertly trimmed my hair with his scissors – removing very little, as I wanted, and leaving the top alone – and I figured the job was done.

But he had only just begun. His next step was to take a round brush and a blow dryer to the hair, straightening out the curl which he said led to an unkempt appearance. He said the effect should last several days or even a couple of weeks. He did this carefully and all over the head.

I was now about to step out of the chair, but he still wasn’t ready. He took out his straight razor and proceeded to run it down across my hair, with the purpose, he said, of “removing everything that sticks out.” In other words, he was cutting off the split ends that remained after the scissor-cut.

He tidied up things on the back of my neck, my ears and eyebrows, and even my moustache, then applied a light pomade to the hair. When he was finished, I felt I was ready to appear before the cameras as a leading man (well – not really, but you know what I mean.)

During this half-hour-long haircut, a woman walked in and inquired about a haircut for herself. He apologetically replied “I’m sorry, ma’am. I’m just a barber. I don’t cut women’s hair. I’m only a barber.”

But what a barber he is. His price was $14 (cash only) plus tip. Gents, if you can find someone like this where you live, treasure him.
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

That's quite an experience, Porter. If you can find a good barber, mechanic and plumber, you're ahead of the game. (Add a bartender, and you've got five for poker, too.)

I just got a free haircut from the cosmetology department at Santa Monica College. The student was the first guy to cut my hair in a coon's age, and he was so precise and well intentioned -- took him the better part of an hour, what with the instructor hovering around just to make sure all's well that ended well -- that I didn't have the heart to tell him he cut it too short. But these things grow back, and all things considered, he did a fine job. I've had $80 haircuts from fancy Beverly Hills stylists who tried to turn me into Pompadour Pete, who didn't do any better.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Well, I have here in Tampa....more than once as one gent passed away and another moved. But I've had to look and have had my share of mediocre haircuts in the process. Congratulations on; 1) realizing that it DOES matter, and 2) finding a really good barber.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

We have a great barber shop in my small town in Eastern Washington (State), and for this I am grateful.

It started with the grandfather, who worked for 46 years before he retired. He and his son worked the shop since well before I moved to this town in 1983. Before the old man retired, the grandson completed barber college and joined the shop.

Now the son (about my age) and the grandson run the shop. Both always remember exactly how I like my hair cut and they do a great job. They also trim around the hairline with a straight razor (disposable blades) and they trim my beard. They send me on my way with, "That's the best you've looked since the last time you came here!" :lol:

I think most just pay the $13.00 that they charge, but I always tip.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The older gentleman I formerly visited finally retired, but he kept the shop, and two friends of his, also professional barbers took it over, and for several years I continued to use their services, (both of them females, by the way!) I slowly realized my long time barber was (maybe subconsciously) longing to retire herself, she was at least 70, so my wife invited me to use her long-time hair stylist Tonya. She's the owner of her own business, renting out spaces to the other ladies. She has a large following both male and female. And, she knows what she's doing. I couldn't be happier. Meanwhile, my son and his son are regular customer of my former barber Shirley, and they are very happy with her.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Years ago, my father and I would always go to the same barber. A scottish fellow who worked in a local shop. I do have to admit he was wonderful -- even as a kid, I enjoyed the experience. And he would always be telling stories from "back home" to keep my interest. Then I got married, and funding was so low that it precluded my visiting a barber -- so my new wife cut my hair. I haven't looked back -- she is the best barber I have ever had, believe it not. I don't look forward to the day when she no longer can do it for me -- but since we are only 51, we have plenty of years of haircuts ahead of us. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

This is the website of my former barber. He had to close up shop almost a year ago, his overhead costs having gone up significantly. He was unable to find any other barbers to work in his shop and help defray costs as his standards for service were too high for most. Simply a true gentleman, and a brilliant man to boot. I miss him and his house-made aftershaves.

Congratulations on finding a good barber, Porter. It's really remarkable what a difference it makes. Enjoy it.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
paddy

Post by paddy »

During this half-hour-long haircut, a woman walked in and inquired about a haircut for herself. He apologetically replied “I’m sorry, ma’am. I’m just a barber. I don’t cut women’s hair. I’m only a barber.”
loved this bit.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

It is sad, but many states no longer have barber schools. Training is now done with "stylists". No barber means no tapering comb etc. and a poor haircut. Maybe the popularity of "Mad Men" will bring some of these skills back. In the mean time, try to find a European trained barber.
Jim
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I have yet to find a decent barber in my area. As the water boy said, "the search continues".
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
function

Post by function »

My experience overall has been positive in my new town. There is a barber shop a mere 6 blocks from my current house, the shop so authentic in appearance it was used in a movie. Sadly it just wasn't quite enough. The barbers there were nice enough, and didn't exactly give bad haircuts, but they were not the same as the first/second generation Italian barbers I had become accustomed to in Pittsburgh.
Internet searches let me to a father & son barbershop a few miles away, I believe the gentlemen would call themselves Tejanos, and the shop is great. Always two gents waiting in line, good cuts, though not quite the level described by the OP, but $15 leaves a top for the barber after the haircut itsself.
There is also a barber college not too far from me, I may drift in out of curiosity, and to encourage the students to keep up the craft.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner »

My barber for the past 9 years recently went solo and moved to a location that made it impractical for me to continue with him. John was a great barber.

I started a search that was not turing up much when I learned about a barbershop just south of my home. A traditional barbershop.

My first hair cut was by a gentleman slightly younger than myself who is the fourth generation barber and he shares the shop with the fifth-generation barber - his daughter. Two visits so far with a hair cut by each barber and it's looking like I found my new barbershop.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

AZShaver wrote:It is sad, but many states no longer have barber schools. Training is now done with "stylists". No barber means no tapering comb etc. and a poor haircut. Maybe the popularity of "Mad Men" will bring some of these skills back. In the mean time, try to find a European trained barber.
That's what my hair guy told me as well - they don't learn barbering skills anymore... he was simply thrilled to hear I wanted a 60's cut... although, sigh... we're still working on it...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Brilliant when you find a barber like that.

I take my youngest son to the same barber I went to 30+ years ago. It's a proper men's men place. Car magazines all over the place, cracking old leather chairs, Wilkinson Sword 'Bonded' razor advert on the wall.

Lads travel 10 miles or more for a meet-up and hair cut on Saturday mornings (open at 7am).

I'm teaching my son to tip generously.

I wish I still had hair, but I wouldn't let him anywhere near my tache.
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I tend to find barbers and stick with them for years. I am 36 and have had 3 barbers with a few in between. My first one from 11-24 was my favorite and the reason I love Clubman products. He always shaved my neck with a straight and applied Clubman talc with that big soft talc brush:) I remember staring at all the pictures that probably have been on the walls for 30 years and the Clubman stand with the entire line in stock on it. As soon as I smelled it 15 years later it brought back so many memories.
Shawn