lavender soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
mme29710

Post by mme29710 »

I use Dr. Bronner's liquid Lavender soap. It is fantastic!
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

gordon and others...i know the vast concensus is that caswell massey's shaving soaps are uselss, but any opinions out there regarding c-m's bath soaps??? especially the lavender. i'm collecting an array of lavender bath soaps (5-6 already) and want to add any others deemed worthwhile. thanks, jr/john
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Personally I don't think that the C-M bath soaps are that hot either, but a few other members, like Sam, seem to like them. I just didn't think that they lathered that well and seemed a tad drying or overly 'strong'. The scent was okay and they are triple milled, however. I've always preferred the C&E rendition of lavender bath soap even if the current incarnation isn't as good as the one they sold years ago.
Regards,
Gordon
e d o

Post by e d o »

Trade Joe's has hugh bars of French made Lavender soap for a little more than $3. It may be made by Pre de Provence. It sure looks similar. It gets my seal of approval.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Caswell soaps, I like the sandalwood okay but the scent of No. 6 is what I like. I feel like they are about as good as the Claus Porto soaps, maybe don't lather up as well.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

ahh. new places to spend money and maybe where no to!. thanks, all. john
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

bernards66 wrote:Vinny, No, I was referring to Floris's 'regular' and long standing Lavender Soap ( if a soap so expensive should ever be called 'regular' ). The Highgrove range is not new, it's been around for years although perhaps it has been altered or rearranged recently. I would have no way to know because, to my knowledge, it is only available at the Floris shop in Jermyn Street and at the gift shop at Highgrove itself. There used to be lavender and also lime scented products in the range as these scents were said to be favourites of The Prince of Wales. Have you tried any of the Highgrove stuff?
Regards,
Gordon
No wonder the Floris Highgrove Lavender soaps are so expensive:
Each product contains essential oil distilled from lavender harvested on the Sandringham Estate, the country retreat of Her Majesty the Queen.

http://www.florislondon.com/gbp/highgro ... -soap.html
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well yeah, but they've raised lavender at Sandringham for a long time. The estate is in Norfolk where the finest strains of English Lavender are said to be grown and which is the largest commerical producer of the flower in all of England. Yardley used to source the majority of their lavender from Norfolk growers as well.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig_From_Cincy

Gordon, I did not know that Sandringham was in Norfolk, nor that Norfolk was where the good English Lavender is grown, thanks for the info. It looks like the Highgrove range is only sold from Floris' London shop, I couldn't find an American website that's selling it. too rich for my blood, with the exchange rate, int'l shipping etc.

I've been using C-M's Lavender for a week or so now. For the price that I paid for it ($5.99/3-pack at TJ Maxx) it's decent enough, but it's not worth the full $20.00 retail price that C-M is charging for it. Although it's triple milled, the soap doesn't last very long and it's colouring runs off of the soap and leaves purple stains in my shower. The soap works well on my skin though (again considering the discount price). I'm trying the Claus Porto or Atkinsons Lavender (which is allegedly tallow based) next.
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well yes, if you check my posts earlier in this thread I've never been very keen on the C-M bath soaps. I'm quite sure that those other two you are contemplating will be more satisfactory.
Regards,
Gordon
changabang

Post by changabang »

I have no experience with the British Yardley lavender soap, but I really like the tallow-based American version, which I've been able to get for a buck a piece at a local supermarket. The Agua Lavendar Puig also is very nice, although I'm not sure it's considered very lavenderish.
James Nicks
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

James, Lavanda Puig is actually quite "mossy". In some circuits it's considered a fougere.
Regards,
Jani
changabang

Post by changabang »

I don't doubt it, Jani. I'm a philistine when it comes to fragrances. I only know what I like, not necessarily knowing what it is that I like!
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Craig I just opened today a Caswell-Massey lavender soap for the office and find it seems to be working rather well. I like their soaps but am put off by the dye they leave behind.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

I have that same issue with them Squire, especially when they're new. Had I paid full price of $22/3bars for their soaps I wouldn't be very happy.
Cheers,

Craig
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I always liked their Almond Cold Cream toilet soap. The scent is really pleasant and no dye used. Pick-up some if you see next time at T.J. Maxx. Really nice in cooler weather as is approaching. The talc is special too.

Best,
Fitch
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fitch that one has always appealed to me but never seems to cross my path with a discount price.
Regards,
Squire