Face moisturizer suggestion

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Blooze

Face moisturizer suggestion

Post by Blooze »

Can anyone recommend a few face moisturizers to try? This winter has been really rough on my face and it has become unusually dry. FWIW I can't use the Nivea AS balm as something in it irritates my face. I've pretty much been sticking with Thayer's and aloe vera after I shave and Cerave at night, but the Cerave seems to cause clogged pores for me.

Was thinking about trying some Trumpers coral possibly.
95%

Post by 95% »

First, welcome to the forum. The balms by Castle Forbes are light and moisturizing - expensive but seriously top shelf.

Just a thought: are you washing your face too often or too vigorously? A quick light wash once or twice a day ought to be enough for most men. Try not to strip all natural oils from your skin.
Porter
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Bloozed, welcome to SMF. Trumper's Skinfood is really a sealant as opposed to a moisturizer. Although I don't use a "moisturizer", when it gets raw here my go-to aftershave is Castle Forbes Pre-shave. Great stuff- I wish I could use it year round but it is a little heavy for summr in Virginia.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Blooze

Post by Blooze »

95% wrote:First, welcome to the forum. The balms by Castle Forbes are light and moisturizing - expensive but seriously top shelf.

Just a thought: are you washing your face too often or too vigorously? A quick light wash once or twice a day ought to be enough for most men. Try not to strip all natural oils from your skin.
I usually wash my face once in the morning (shave in the evening) using some mild soap my wife uses. The harsher soaps tend to dry my face out badly so I avoid them. I'll check into the Castle Forbes.

Thanks.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Blooze, Welcome to SMF. If you really need such a product, I think that the Trumpers Moisterizer ( not the Skin Food ) is a good product of this type. Personally, I only actually soap and wash the 'T zone' of my face letting the shaving process take care of the rest, and no 'moisterizer' is ever called for. But, admittedly I live in a climate that is probably considerably more humid than where you are.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Welcome, Blooze!
I use aftershave balms instead of face moisturizers and this winter I used D.R. Harris Aftershave Milk this with temperatures falling below -10 C/14 F for months on end and it kept my face nice and moisturized without any dryness. The Castel Forbes balm is also very nice, and I agree with the above that Trumper's Skin Food would be to light, though it is very nice during spring and summer. Also remember to use warm and not hot water when washing your face as the hot water can cause dryness.
Eric
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Here is one that I stumbled on. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer. I tried Clinique products, various balms, and pure aloe vera gel. Some have petrolateum (Vaseline really, lol) and tend to be waxy-feeling. Others absorb directly into the skin and you feel like it is not there or doing anything. Then for a while, I used QED French Clay to be a masque and then used Thayer's Witch Hazel as a moisturizer.

My hair dresser put some of the Paul Mitchell on my hair, thinking that it would give it some light hold. But I read the directions and after I shave, I would use it on a wet face and the tea tree is like an antiseptic and so, it feels good for like 3 to 4 minutes after I shave. In other words, I know it is there because it is waxy-feeling, but it dries into the skin completely. So now in the evening, when I was my face, I use it and it is waxy-feeling but dries completely.

I had gotten this at Supercuts so if I did not like it, I could have taken it back to trade for another product. It runs like $12.50 for an 8 ounce bottle and that will last me a year or more. I use a pea-sized dollop, if that much, for an application (and even can rub it into my hair) and that is plenty.
Blooze

Post by Blooze »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks. I've tried about everything (no hot water, harsh soaps, etc....) short of starting to try new moisturizers/balms, so ya'll have given me some good idea to look at.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

if you really need moisture, you may want to use an actual moisturizer like Eucerin, or even raw lanolin oil.
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

I have to tell you that I've used moisturizers for years, and far and away the best i've found is the products from nancy boy. I use the replenishing facial moisturizer in the morning and the ultramarine night cream at night.

Great value (not cheap, per se), light scent, not greasy and just simply works. Might want to check it out at nancyboy.com

Oh, and their shave cream is fantastic as well. The only reason it isn't in my current rotation is that I used up my tub and have too many others currently to justify buying it.
Dripp in Cincinnati
brothers

Post by brothers »

I do not hesitate to recommend 444 After Shave Balm, a product made in Portugal. I think it's the king of moisturizing lotions, with a nice cold menthol sensation. I do love the 444.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

I use a cheap Korean skin lotion that I buy whenever I visit Seoul. However, since that is hardly an option for most people, I recommend Clinique for Men "M" Lotion. It should be easy to find and a small dab works very well.

Mike
Amphibious Tuna

Post by Amphibious Tuna »

I second Dripp.
Nancy Boy moisturizer is OUTSTANDING.

Just buy their body moisturizer, it is better than any of the expensive facial moisturizers I have ever used. I use a little bit after the Thayers witch hazel. It has no scent, dries right in, no greasy feel.
AND, a bottle will last you close to a year if you use it juston your face. My guess is once you start to use it on your face, you will swith to for your body as well. It is a good value and a great product. Bob

This one:
http://www.nancyboy.com/Shea-Butter-Uns ... -25p44.htm
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like The Body Shop Men's Face Protector for my money. It's pretty good.

If you are outside in any kind of harsh weather, then Dermatone's face protector is the best I have ever used -- it's always performed fabulously in the winter - when I would run or downhill ski.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Baxter of CA - Supershape (normal / dry) or Oil Free is you have oily or combo skin. Both work very well for me.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Kiehl's is pretty good.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Hated all types of moisturizers and avoided them because I have oily problem skin with mild roseacea to boot. Tried both Nivea balm and Thayer's Witchhazel over the years but they irritated me over time (great the first few applications). So, I went through a period of no moisturizers but noticed this winter how my cracked skin on my fingers was alleviated by L'Oreal aftershave balm. Finally used it on my face and I will not go out in this winter without it. After my shave I pass an alum block and rinse one last time before I apply the balm.
Andy