Facials: Not just for She Who Must be Obeyed

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
ScottB

Facials: Not just for She Who Must be Obeyed

Post by ScottB »

Lets talk about facials. Not for gentlemen? I beg to differ.

A facial is generally mud that you apply to your face that is allowed to partially dry and then washed off. As it drys it creates a pulling/sucking force that literally pulls oils, dirt and other stuff from the pores on your face. Facials are generally followed by some kind of moisterizing. That really is all that it is about.

Some mud suppliers make claims about their mud having various beneficial properties but it is really mostly the mechanical action of the mud drying on your face and removing stuff that is effective.

Almost all mud used for this purpose is natural green calcium Bentonite Clay. Muds offered in a jar "ready to go" usually have a little scent, some oil (often olive oil) and various types of "organic matter" in them. Many muds are from either the Dead Sea, Alaskan Glaciers or the Mojave Desert.

Now why would a gentleman wetshaver care about facials? We've already got the face cleaning/moisterizing thing under control, right? What can the fairer sex possibly teach us about skin care?

We'll you've simply got to try it to believe it. A facial pulls sebum out of your face to the extent that any bumps, blemishes or clogged pores are diminished greatly. Some men develop small pockets of sebum, sort of a reservoir that does not turn into a pimple but presents as a small bump. A facial can purge this material without any damaging manipulation of the facial tissue.

I've gotten some epic shaves right after a facial and my skin appearance is generally improved with less blotchiness. There is definitely something to this.

I'll discuss three muds that I own:

Jericho Black Mud Body Wrap:

Nice mud from the Dead Sea, black as indicated by the name. No scent whatsover. 450 grams for about $25.00 U.S.

Borghese Fango:
This mud is mildly scented (I cannot identify the scent but it is pleasant) and contains some olive oil. 17.6 ounces for about $40.00 U.S. and comes with a natural sponge. Borghese offers several other Muds as well.

But this is my favorite:
This stuff is powdered clay from Death Valley and you mix it yourself. They recommend mixing with Bragg Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. This is more powerful than the "ready-made" muds and you will definitely notice the difference. 2lbs for about $10.00 U.S.

I also like this application brush from Alaskan Glacial Mud Company. Its "just right" for this and cleans up easily. I haven't tried their mud because it is somewhat expensive but their Lavender Mud is supposed to be really nice:

The routine is a face wash, drying and then simply painting mud to cover your face being careful to keep it out of your eyes. Allow to dry 20 minutes and then gently remove with warm water, your hands and perhaps a natural sponge. It is important to moisterize after a facial. Don't skip the moisterizing step or your face will simply produce more oil to compensate.

Anyway, something I enjoy that I wanted to share with those who weren't aware.

Scott
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I love mine...and works excellent as a facial exfoliant as well as body

SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

SmallTank wrote:I love mine...and works excellent as a facial exfoliant as well as body..either Dove soap or some bodywash works n feels great!

95%

Post by 95% »

Scott - that's a classy post. But no, thanks!
Porter
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

95% wrote:Scott - that's a classy post. But no, thanks!
lol thanks and I understand. Just another distracting AD.

M.A.D.? :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well Scott, more than half a lifetime ago, I thought SWMBO's stuff looked ideal for cleaning out my dirty facial pores one day, and so I applied it and proudly went to show her. She didn't think very highly of that idea, to put it very mildly, and let's just say I couldn't get it washed off quickly enough. That was the last time I ever did that. I still think it would have worked.

The only other time I managed to hit her panic button regarding my personal grooming was when I went to a barber who decided my hair would look good if I combed it all up and back, and put some shiny oil on it to hold it up there, very similar to some of the TV preachers of the day.

Holy chihuahua!! She saw me coming in the door with my new haircut and again, I did all I could to maintain peace within my house in the shortest period of time possible, and again, my grooming habits resumed to normal. I had a whole lot more hair then than I do now.

Anyway, I've learned what makes her happy and when she's happy, I seem to have a whole lot more peace and quiet around here. So that's my story! :lol: :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444