Love Yardley Soap...but...

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JayTrek

Love Yardley Soap...but...

Post by JayTrek »

I use Yardley soap in the shower, but it appears to be drying my face a bit much. I have these dry patches on my eye lids this afternoon. I have applied some Vaseline Men's Lotion to the area.

I love how this soap rinses. I hate to have to try another soap for the shower. I cannot stand a soap that leaves residue behind.

1) would you guys recommend a soap to use on my face?

2) would using a soap that drys the face out not affect the quality of my shaves?

Thanks for the wisdom in advance...
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

You could try and skip soap entirely and try Cetaphil to wash your face. it's very mild and non drying.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, Unless you're overdoing it or using very hot water I doubt that the Yardley is actually drying your facial skin. Is it having this effect on any other area of your body? Eyelids are very delicate and it's probably best to keep soap away from them entirely. You may be having a slight reaction to some ingrediant in the soap, what other soaps have you used and what was the result?
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The skin on our face is a bit more delicate than the skin covering the balance of our body, while the Yardley might be fine all over I would skip washing your face with the soap and use a mild/gentle cleaner like Cetaphil on your face.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Personally I have not found 'cleansers' to be any more gentle then good soaps, more often the reverse. While the OP may be a 'product issue', I tend to suspect other factors are in play.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Personally I have not found 'cleansers' to be any more gentle then good soaps, more often the reverse. While the OP may be a 'product issue', I tend to suspect other factors are in play.
Regards,
Gordon
+1

Chris
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

EL Alamein wrote:
bernards66 wrote:Personally I have not found 'cleansers' to be any more gentle then good soaps, more often the reverse. While the OP may be a 'product issue', I tend to suspect other factors are in play.
Regards,
Gordon
+1

Chris

A complete misnomer regarding soaps versus facial cleansers. Please see attached articles.

http://www.soapgoods.com/article/facial ... -soap.html
http://www.examiner.com/skin-care-in-ch ... -cleansers
http://dermatology.about.com/od/cleansi ... _guide.htm
http://ezinearticles.com/?Soap-Or-Facia ... id=1444764
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanser
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Regardless, that has not been my personal experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
ScottB

Re: Love Yardley Soap...but...

Post by ScottB »

JayTrek wrote:I use Yardley soap in the shower, but it appears to be drying my face a bit much. I have these dry patches on my eye lids this afternoon. I have applied some Vaseline Men's Lotion to the area.

I love how this soap rinses. I hate to have to try another soap for the shower. I cannot stand a soap that leaves residue behind.

1) would you guys recommend a soap to use on my face?

2) would using a soap that drys the face out not affect the quality of my shaves?

Thanks for the wisdom in advance...
Institute Karite bars in either Milk or Honeysuckle is what I use on my face. Body soap I'm all over the place with different brands but I generally just use IK on my face. Very nice, not much scent and leaves my skin soft, clean and no residue.

I don't like Cetaphil for that very reason, it leaves something behind.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, Regardless, that has not been my personal experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Seems like I am "playing the foil" on the whole cleanser vs. soap discussion but I think there is enough factual and scientific information to validate the use of cleansers in cleaning one's face.

Obviously not everyone will agree with that and your experience is one of the anomalies, but given the design of the products I only hope to enlighten people to do their own research in finding things that work for their own circumstances. Cleansers as well as soaps vary so finding one that works may take some trial and error.

To an end, I soundly believe based on my experience and researching the matter that facial cleansers are the best way to go about the task.

For those interested here is another link on the subject.

http://beauty.about.com/od/productstop1 ... ansers.htm
Good shaving,

Gary
SRD

Post by SRD »

Maybe I am just one of those "insensitive" types but I have never noticed one iota of difference between using soap or facial cleansers. I prefer just to use soap. But, hey, I am a big proponent of what ever works for you. Sort of like the use of pre shave oils. I have never experienced any benefit and see absolutely no use for them. But again, if it works for you...
Dave
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

SRD wrote:Maybe I am just one of those "insensitive" types but I have never noticed one iota of difference between using soap or facial cleansers. I prefer just to use soap. But, hey, I am a big proponent of what ever works for you. Sort of like the use of pre shave oils. I have never experienced any benefit and see absolutely no use for them. But again, if it works for you...
Dave - guaranteed...everyone's mileage will surly vary!
Good shaving,

Gary
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Another YMMV topic. People have managed to clean their facial skin with soaps since their discovery centuries ago without much fuss and generally good results. The concept of a facial “cleanser” is precisely that – a “concept” dreamt up by marketers charged with creating new product categories. I have no doubt that many of the available cleansers work very well, as do countless soaps.

Different products will agree or disagree with one’s particular skin chemistry. However, there is no scientific reason why a “cleanser” formulation would be superior to a soap. You will typically pay more per unit for the cleanser than a soap, which is its true purpose, much like “body washes.”

Steve
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Steve,

The art of soap making has been with man for thousands of years but is based on absolute science, essentially the same science that has led to the development of facial cleansers. This is not a modern marketing driven development but draws some of it's roots from the early 1800's with the development of "transparent" soaps that are more friendly to the skin's natural acid balance.

Here is a link to a reference from the development of Pears Transparent soap with developments that took place to make skin cleansing more skin friendly. You will need to page way up to that start of the article, but the science is definitely there.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yFlJAA ... 22&f=false

I had posted this link earlier in the soaps and creams form with regards to the Pears Transparent Shaving Stick but found the article quite revealing on the whole "soap topic".
Good shaving,

Gary
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

My apologies to Jason the OP of this thread, didn't mean to hijack the thread, hope some of this is helping you find an answer.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Good point. I was just about to respond re: Pears and all that but I think it's just time to let it go as we've given the OP our opinions on his dilemma fully already.
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My daughter in law cannot use any soap on her skin. The only product that works for her is Dove beauty bar. It is not soap and it is superfatted. It has a neutral ph.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Wow...step away for a few days and this thread takes on a life of its own.

I have stayed with Yardley for the time being. I am using a bar of the Cocoa Butter. It is allegedly a little more moisturizing than the other bars.

So far so good.

But I am enjoying the discussion. Hijack away.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

FYI it looks like supermarket Yardley got reformulated. Gone is the petrolatum and the coconut oil. The second ingredient is now "water". It's still the same basic formula but it seems cheapened. I'm using a bar now with no ill effects but still, it's not nice to see it cheapened. It does seem to be wearing a little more quickly than the old bars. Probably a casualty of the poor economy.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, How depressing. I just finished the very last of my old Vinolia today. So, now the hunt for something useable becomes pressing...sigh...what a PITA! And, BTW, I think they've cheapened the Cusson's Imperial Leather as well. Not only have they gone to palm oil ( which we already knew ) but the most recent cakes I got don't smell the same either. Similiar, but not as nice. Bah!
Regards,
Gordon