Bath Soap - Suggestions???

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Crag

Bath Soap - Suggestions???

Post by Crag »

Ladies and Gents,

I respect your soap prowess! Can you help me, please? My wife does not like my current favorite bath soap and I am in desperate need of a new one. I am currently using a bar of Speick that a friend sent me from Germany, but my wife says I smell too much like her old professor so it has to go. I was hoping it would smell like the shave stick, but to both me and her it does not.

I like the cologne type scents, and am currently a fan of Polo Black, or Drakkar Noir...but I am also a fan of masculine floral's such as Trumpers Almond shave soap.

I know and respect the disclaimer that what works for you may not work for me, but I still think you could help me out.

What would you suggest? My limit on a per bar basis is around $20, so anything from $2 to $20 a bar would work for me!

Thanks all!
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Cusson's Imperial Leather or Floris No. 89.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
druphus

Post by druphus »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Cusson's Imperial Leather or Floris No. 89.
+1. The Cusson's being the economy selection!
Regards,
Andy
Crag

Post by Crag »

Where could i find Cussons Imperial Leather Soap? Any website info or stores in the USA would be helpful!

Thanks!
Matt

--Ezra Taft Benson
druphus

Post by druphus »

Do a search at amazon.com.
Regards,
Andy
Crag

Post by Crag »

Right on...thanks!
Matt

--Ezra Taft Benson
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Someone here mentioned that he found some in an Indian market; I found some in the first one I tried. Shoplondons also has it.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Crag

Post by Crag »

I went to Amazon and the bar was $3, but the shipping was $10!!! Yeah, but I think I'll hit up some Indian or Pakistani stores before I spend $10 on shipping of 4oz. What a way to get extra money...

Can anyone tell me the fragrance is like?
Matt

--Ezra Taft Benson
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Matt, To me it's really an old time gentlemen's floral with a hint of sort of 'leather'. I gather that Imperial Leather is still pretty widely used in Great Britain and not just by men although I think that it is more a 'masculine' scent. Current day shipping fees are often the bane of those of us who must mail order most of our grooming supplies. It has gotten pretty out of hand. One approach is to 'piggy-back' orders; that is, combine several products that you want/need into one order and thus pay only one shipping fee. Just today I ordered two cakes of bath soap and had the seller throw in a $30 bottle of Harris's Pink because I know that eventually I would have to order one anyway. This way I only pay one hefty shipping charge rather than the two I would wind up paying in the end.
Regards,
Gordon
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

£1 for 6 bars here (UK)!

It's so cheap, it'd be rude not to use it and it sits in my bathroom happliy and proudly alongside D R Harris Almond Oil soap And Blenheim Bouquet soap.

Picked up some of the vintage bath cubes from ebay too this week. Ah, the memories.

There has always been a bar of this in my bathroom as far back as I can remember.

And always will be.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Crag wrote:I went to Amazon and the bar was $3, but the shipping was $10!!!
Yeah, slim-pickins at the moment. Periodically "free shipping" deals pop up, but not at the moment! Hang in there, it can be had inexpensively and is good stuff.
Regards,
Andy
Crhis

Post by Crhis »

Unfortunately it's not even a situation where UK members can help out our US friends. Just recently I sent out 2 soaps in a bowl, 1 refill soap, and 40% full bottle of Harris Pink in a neatly packed container and the cheapest airmail to the US available to me cost £14.96 ($25 at a liberal rate of exchange) before packing materials and so on.

I think at this point it's just worth holding out on you or someone you know visiting the UK, and begging them to bring back as much as possible. Mind a friend of mine recently managed to find a last minute deal on a 1-night return flight to Denver (of all places) for £70 so he could save some money on Apple products, but hopefully it won't get SO bad that anyone would have to consider that!

It's true mind, Imperial Lather is still in popular use here... though I think it's fair to say that most of the reason for that is down to its low cost and easy availability. Funny how that works, huh? :/
Christopher
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

$20 for a bar of soap, I bet an occassional Floris Rose Geranium would come up.

I like bar soaps for my face and the tallow ones tend to be creamier. Glycerin ones just dont feel all that good (Pears, Clearly Natural) and some of the veggie or palm based ones are only so so as far as face feel (Claus Porto, Crabtree and Evelyn). I have some Valobra Fougere and it smells great, but on the face, the lather is missing.

I love Castle Forbes but it makes no more soap and I have one round of it left. Just opened up a Vinolia bar with the Boracic Acid (older one made in ENgland) and it seems okay. I did not get wowed by it however.

Bath soaps lately have been anything. I mean, my skin tolerates it and I have a draw string pouch that is a mesh poof and insert the soap, so I get tons of lather. The feeling on my chest is not as acute as on my face so I go for smell mostly. Pre de Provence to me is as good as Claus Porto in that regard and locally available. I love the smell of Caswell Massey No. 6. I think for body bars I may go to Whole Foods and just get something, or make a huge order at Chagrin Valley to get bath bars as well as shampoo bars.

Really looking for a $7 to $8 bar with that creaminess for my face, and Id be happy to use it as a shower bar as well
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Phill @ www.bullgooseshaving.com has a nice selection of soaps;MWF, Pre De Provence, Atkinsons and many more. You can choose from tallow, palm oil and shea butter formulas. As Phil is here in California shipping is very quick.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

druphus wrote:
Thalay Sagar wrote:Cusson's Imperial Leather or Floris No. 89.
+1. The Cusson's being the economy selection!
+2 --Imperial Leather is the full-on best. 4 bars for a pound at Bury Market --- can't beat that --- except of course for the added cost of travel to get there, I suppose ...... :(
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

At the $7-8 level, the Nancy Boy Sweetgrass is fine, with a nice note of Rose Geranium in the mix.
Ron
Jado

Post by Jado »

The Truefitt & Hill soaps are excellent! I really like the Grafton scent and added a box of the soap to an order of the cream. Really great soap! It's $28 for a box of three (and $6 shipping - or free shipping with orders over $99). I can't recall what size bars they are - they're rounds really - but I'm thinking ~5 oz or so. Not huge, but not travel size, by any means.
-James
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I agree with the T&H recommendation. These are absolutely great soaps. Lather like champs, wonderful skin feel, amazing scents.

Truly a no-miss proposition. My favorite is West Indian Limes. Doesn't smell at all like the shaving cream. A much nicer, richer scent. 1805 is great, too.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
malocchio

best buy

Post by malocchio »

if you live near a walgreens in a hispanic community,they tend to have the real spanish "heno de pravia" soap mis-marked at 3 bars in a cellophane wrap for $2.49....the clerks do not realize that the bars should be $2.49 each !! so the never take them out of the 3 pak wrap...wonderful vegan soap..rich lather,real spanish aroma,and hard milled to last long...this soap has been in continuous production for more than 80 years...a spanish classic
cvc

Post by cvc »

Chagrin Valley soaps are a must try.. Forget about the manly cologne scents and just enjoy being cleaned properly.. These soaps will make your skin feel way better then anything else.. I use these for face, body and hair and I'll never go back to store bought products.. Read the testimonials then place an order..

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/index.html