hair conditioner as pre-shave

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JRTASTER

hair conditioner as pre-shave

Post by JRTASTER »

have noted several posters use hair conditioner/rinses as a pre-shave beard set up.
technique-wise, do you leave the conditioner on and apply the shaving soap/creme on top or... rub the conditioner in and rinse off before the soap/cream application??
inquiring minds, and all that!!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't used it as such, but have heard of it. In my case, I'm pretty sure I'd rinse it out before shaving, so as not to take a chance that some ingredient in the conditioner might interfere with the lathering properties of the soap or cream, primarily because I like to face-lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Read somewhere hair conditioner is actually counterproductive.

Hair conditioner strengthens the hair thus increasing shaving difficulty.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

well, tried it both ways using paul mitchell's tea tree conditioner.
today, i washed my face with my regular soap as usual and rinsed thoroughly.
then i applied the conditioner , rubbed it into two day's worth of beard.
left it on while i did some other stuff, then rinsed it off.
lathered up with mwf and shaved with a gem mm, open comb, using a new carbon-steel se blade.
poor technique left me with a couple of REALLY doozie nicks/cuts, but otherwise an excellent and really close shave.
leaving the conditioner on,without rinsing, on the other hand, yielded a good, but not spectacular shave.
more experimentation, different blade/razor and soap/cream and less jerky technique, is indicated before a definite pronouncement can be made.
meanwhile, definitely encouraged by today's experience.

p.s. and to hijack my own post: love the combination of paul mitchell tea tree shampoo and pm tea tree conditioner. nice

jr/john
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't think conditioner does that much beyond the extra time and hydration that results from the extra step in prepping the beard. I've tried several hoping to find a magic hair softener, but neither those nor scrubs/cleansers seem to do anything above and beyond a couple of minutes of splashing and perhaps some soap. Just possibly it is different for other people's hair.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

dr chris, you may be right. trying other variables to see if it IS the conditioner.
i want it to be...helps justify the $30, plus shipping, i paid for the paul mitchell's conditioner