The Ballad of El Cheapo

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
funkthulhu

The Ballad of El Cheapo

Post by funkthulhu »

Greetings Shavers!

I've been reading up on the board for some time now, and I thoroughly enjoy my shaves, but I think I'm missing an aspect of the mystique.

I'd like to get into using some quality non-shave products, but I'm also a penny-pincher of late. So, I'm asking for you fine gentlemen to give me some of your personal favorites, guilty pleasure soaps, etc. for use in the shower or at the sink for body and/or face.

I'm looking to spend about a dollar a bar at first, and as I get to understand what I like and what works, I'll work my way up from there.

Thanks for your consideration!
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shaving Soap: Palmolive Classic stick
Body Soap: Imperial Leather, Dove, or Yardley's English Lavender

All run around a buck or two max per bar/stick.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SRD

Post by SRD »

Second the recommendation of Yardley's English Lavender soap. Good price here on line. You want to scroll down and pick up the 3 pack of the Luxury bars made in England. Great price (less than $10 for a 3 pack).

http://tinyurl.com/3rcuesx

Edit: I hate side-scrolling for four line URL's, so I hope you don't mind me substituting a tinyurl for the original. Chris.
Dave
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Another vote for the Yardley. For a buck-a-bar, you can't beat it. It comes in a couple of fragrances, but to me the clear winner is the Lavender. For a couple of dollars, Wendell's suggestion of Imperial is wonderful, but it's not readily available (I have to order it from ShopLondons), so it's more of a treat. Also, every now and then you can find some nice stuf at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Dial Basics bath soap, three bars for a buck at any 99-cent store. Some Ralph's/Kroeger's supermarkets carry it for under two bucks.
Ron
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I found Yardley's at Walmart, oddly enough. I bought a bar of the Oatmeal and Almond, but haven't used it yet. It was finding the Yardley's that prompted me to make this thread.

Guess now I've got to go back and get the Lavender.

My thanks to everybody for their suggestions, keep 'em coming!

m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

This might exceed your self imposed spending limit but Trader Joe's sells both a Lavender and an Almond Ginger soap hand/bath soap that's hard to beat at low ball prices.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

m3m0ryleak wrote:This might exceed your self imposed spending limit but Trader Joe's sells both a Lavender and an Almond Ginger soap hand/bath soap that's hard to beat at low ball prices.
We just got a Trader Joe's a couple months ago!

funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I found this one today at my local grocery store for a little over a buck. Anybody have an opinion on Kirk's Castile?

kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

funkthulhu wrote:
I found this one today at my local grocery store for a little over a buck. Anybody have an opinion on Kirk's Castile?
Good body soap but dried and fried my face. Excels at removing skin oils. All of them.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've used the Yardley's, Kirk's Castille, and Imperial Leather, and couldn't be happier with all of them. Never had a problem with the dryness mentioned above. All of these are welcome in my shower.

I've secretly been keeping my eye on Mitchell's Wool Fat and Valobra soaps from any of several on line vendors, but it is in a different price range, so haven't tried it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I keep Kirk's Castile in the bathroom at the office for regular hand washing and my face once a day during lunch. Works very well for me but I have oily skin.
Regards,
Squire
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

And in going to the store to get a variety of Yardley. . .

Has anybody seen the "new" Pomegranite Rose and Cocoa Butter?

Any thoughts on the new flavors? (I haven't opened one yet because I refuse to put more than 2 bars in the soap dish!)

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Not I. Their Lavender is the only one I buy.
Regards,
Gordon