Valobra Fougere soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Valobra Fougere soap

Post by Sam »

Well, I had been using a bar of soap for my face that Big Ren sent me about two years ago. Some Italian soap, name escapes me. Scent is rather bland and it is not as creamy as some tallow-based soaps like Castle Forbes, etc. Works as well as Claus Porto though, a white bar, and is less than half the price. So I moved that to the shower (wanting to save my bar of Vinolia for the fall now) and went to Valobra Fougere soap for the face. First thing is the smell. Love it. Not as 'green' as Penhaligon's English Fern (think less lavendar or pepperminty) but is definitely not anything 'modern'.

I think this is lacking tallow, but it seems to lather up like any Claus Porto. A bit more creaminess and it would be so nice. Drawback I think is the price.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Sam. Valobra soaps have tallow in their formula ,according to, Paul at Connaught. Yes, they're a bit steep in price true enough.

Best,
Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, the Valobra bath soaps are still tallow based but I had a similiar experiance with the one I tried, it did not seem to lather very well. And BTW Fitch, did you check that 'Swedes' thread in the Safety Razors and Blades section? Your name came up.
Regards,
Gordon
Edit: Ah!..good man! I just rechecked that thread and saw that you had stopped by. I think everyone will be much interested in what you say you glimpsed in 'Warehouse B'.
Gordon
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Interesting....I have several Valobra bath soaps on the way from Paul at Connaught. I got some fern, rose and maybe a lavender. I look forward to trying them.
Lynn
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Lynn, Do let us know what you think. I'd probably be open to trying them again some time if they work well for you ( of course, I'm quite sure that your water is better than mine...or than Sam's ). I had a similiar experiance with another very expensive Italian bath soap; the Rance I believe it was.
Regards,
Gordon
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Will do, Gordon. I've been using Pen's English Fern as a lavatory soap, and it lathers quite well (with my water at least). It's too pricey for use as a bath soap though -- $45 for three smallish bars....bleh.
Lynn
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

*I have vested interest in these as I sell them*

All the Valobra soaps seem to be very good quality, made in the traditional way.

For me the Master Soaps lather up a tad easier & make the best bath / shower soaps. They are milled more so a harder, longer lasting bar.

I am using a Claus Porto pomegranate soap at the moment but The Valobra Fougere 100g is one of my favourite face soaps, wonderful scent.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
buster

Post by buster »

I have used the fougere from Valobra, and as Sam indicated, the 'ferny-ness' is not as sharp or 'green' as say Penhaligons or Trumpers, but it is well made and I enjoyed it. To me, the scent is muskier than that. I didn't think that the lather was as dense and creamy as the Claus Porto (which I'm using now), but it didn't irritate and was more that serviceable. Very nice change of pace for me. I would be interested in hearing about the other Masters series soaps as others try them.

-Carrick
95%

Post by 95% »

I agree that Valobra Fougere doesn't lather as richly as some, but the fragrance is very nice. I keep a cake in the drawer with my socks and underwear, which consequently have a cleaner scent than any laundry detergent could impart to them.

TOBS bath soap lathers wonderfully. I went through a 200g bar of it in the Mr Taylor scent a year ago and need to reorder. That fragrance bore little resemblance, I thought, to the Mr Taylor cologne and shave cream, but it was refined and elegant.
Porter
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I love the look of Valobra soaps and the promise of a good lather, but the price....oh god the price.
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Update: I guess it takes three, four lathers, but the Valobra Fougere works fine now. And to the creamier side like Rose Geranium used to do by Floris.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, That's both good and bad news. Why it's good is obvious...it's bad because of the price...sigh. I dunno...I don't really remember how many showers I tried with the one cake of Valobra I had....or, for sure, if I did, in fact, have any. I definately remember that Rance soap did not seem to lather that well. Thanks for the update.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon, that Valobra, it is like it had a film over it, or it needed to be used once or twice before it acted right. It may be triple milled, but not like a Claus Porto - this one goes a bit faster. However, you know my nose and the Fern scent is delightful, and for me to smell it, it has to be strong, but it does not linger.

I got this in a sale from Mr. Fisher, with about 5 or 6 soaps for like $50. Two Ferns, a Tallba swedish pine, some other Valobra scent and maybe two more. Come to think of it, Chris was the first person I ever bought something off the internet from that was not a web site, a tube of Trumper Violet Shave Cream. I was not home when Fed Ex came by my house so they left a sticker, and I drove at 7:30 at night in winter to the pickup site so I could shave with it the next morning. Don Cyp was the second person, that tub of Trumpers Almond which you later told me had gone off.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Used up my bar. Goes quicker than say a Claus Porto, even the small size. The scent is very, very nice, not as sharp as say Penhaligons English Fern cologne, but then again, it ain't wimpy either. Pronounced as you shower, but does not linger, anyway that I can tell.

I have one bar unused, and would trade it for say Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, so if anyone is interested, let me know. I today unwrapped a Caswell Massey #6 bar, and next will be this Swedish Tallba pine soap I have.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i would trade with you sam but i dont think i would be into the scent. does valobra make less smelly (??haha) type soaps?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Let some else ask. The fougere scent is nicer to me than English Fern cologne
95%

Post by 95% »

Clive, the Lattuga is very nice and not as strongly fragranced as the Fougere. And in case you're wondering, it doesn't smell like lettuce. Brussels sprouts, maybe (just kidding.)
Porter
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

Primula has the mildest scent.

The Cologne bath soap is also mild. It has a very light Gold Medal like scent.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com