American Yardley English Lavender Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Craig_From_Cincy

American Yardley English Lavender Soap

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I was in Walgreens today and picked up a cake of Yardley English Lavender soap for the first time in several years. It's the one that's made under licence here in the States. I have to say, considering the price-$1.59-the soap is very nice. Its still tallow based (sodium tallowate is the first listed ingredient), it has a nice clean lavender scent, and it left my face feeling rather nice after washing with it before bed tonight. I doubt that this soap is hard milled like it's English made cousin, and undoubtedly won't last as long, but considering how A) inexpensive it is and B) how easily and wide spread it's availability is, I think that it's a real keeper and a no brainer for lavender fans. I was going to pick up a bar of their rose soap as well, but I noticed that they've fiddled with it, and it's now "rose pomegranate". No thanks.
Cheers,

Craig
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the cucumber is REALLY very nice too

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Yeah, the US Yardley Lavender bath soap has gotten a lot of 'good press' here during your absence, and mainly for the reasons you stated. 'El Alamain' says that they have fiddled with the latest batch...not in a positive way, naturally, but even so, it is a good soap at a low price and there aren't many of them around. It's what I usually have in our second bathroom that our sons mainly use when they're home.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Gordon,

I do hope that Yardley don't ruin this soap. I did notice that the label now says "With Essential Oils", which I don't recall it saying in the past. It's a shame that they don't make their lovely English Rose scent here in the US any longer (the English made version is still sold, albeit at a higher price). I have no interest in using 'Pomegranate Rose' scented soap. I do use Caswell-Massey's Rose bath soap, but it's more expensive and harder to locate. Any other good Rose soaps that I'm overlooking?

By the by, I see on their website that Caswell-Massey offers a Key Lime bath soap that I want to try. I'm a sucker for limes in the summer. Have you tried it per chance?
Cheers,

Craig
Books

Post by Books »

Sounds like I need to stock up, the local Dollar General has a huge bin of the Yardley English Lavender, I get it 2-3 bars at a time...
Bob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, I never had any luck with the C-M soaps, so I don't use them. There aren't that many rose soaps around, especially ones with any sort of a 'masculine' twist to the scent. The old Hammam Bouquet bath soap was sublime...but that doesn't help us now, sorry to say. Morny does a pretty nice rose soap, if you can find it, although I think the English Yardley is a tad nicer. C&E used to offer one, but it was VERY 'feminine' IMO. I think that Valobra probably does one, but if so, I've never tried it. And R&G at least used to have one.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Oh, how I wish that I had some of that Hammam Bouquet bath soap. And shave cream.......and talc......
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, they were REALLY nice products....another shame to add to the rest.
Regards,
Gordon
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Craig, Yeah, the US Yardley Lavender bath soap has gotten a lot of 'good press' here during your absence, and mainly for the reasons you stated. 'El Alamain' says that they have fiddled with the latest batch...not in a positive way, naturally, but even so, it is a good soap at a low price and there aren't many of them around. It's what I usually have in our second bathroom that our sons mainly use when they're home.
Regards,
Gordon
Yes, they have diddled with the Yardley but it's not all that noticeable. I've already gone through a cake of the new formulation and it only took me two weeks. The second ingredient in the formula is water so I think they've thinned it a bit to make it melt faster. I usually get about 3 weeks out of a cake of it when I'm the only one using it in the master bath, which is always the case. Otherwise it still lathers the same and is as mild as ever.

Chris
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

We should be very thankful indeed that the Yardley English Lavender is available at all. Who cares if it’s the U.S. version? Compared to the typical drek sold in the supermarkets, it’s a steal.

Best price I’ve found is at Bed Bath, and Beyond. It’s a regular stock item as a four-pack, selling for (I think) under $1/bar. I’ve even run to a local CVS to buy some while on vacation, to replace a hotel’s misguided efforts in “luxury” soap.

Steve
Craig_From_Cincy

That's a heck of a price at BB&B Steve, thanks for passing it on!
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well, that is a very good price, but the stuff's pretty inexpensive anywhere I've seen it. Ah yes...hotel's "misguided efforts at luxury soap..."....indeed....sigh. On those rare occasions when I travel these days I always pack my own soap and shampoo. It adds to the load a little but I'm damned if I'm using the stuff that most even 'good' hotels provide today.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:. . . Any other good Rose soaps that I'm overlooking? . . .
Never tried it as a bath soap, but as a face soap it was excellent:
http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/eng/prod ... soap?79550
Bed, Bath & Beyond carries individual boxes as well as a three-pack, but they've been out the last couple visits.
Ron
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I usually shop on line for such stuff. The last batch of Yardley lavender and Oat meal soaps were both very hard and last much longer than the cheap Jergens soap I bought at the same time. I like a soap to be a bit softer than Yardley as a matter of fact, because I apply it to a wash cloth and wash using only that from head to toe and then rinse the rag and myself. I have to work too hard and take too much time if the soap is too hard. I call a fast lathering soap a "giving" soap. The extreme of that is Ivory, of course.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I picked up a bar of the Yardley Lavender from Walgreen's to give it a whirl.
Meh, it's back in the dust compared to Puig and Queen Charlotte. As always YMMV.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits