Inexpensive A/S Balms

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Craig_From_Cincy

Inexpensive A/S Balms

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I've been spoiled by years of using good quality aftershave balms & gels; Truefitt & Hill, AOS Balms & Gels, Trumper's Skin Foods. While packing my shave kit recently I started to wonder; are there any good quality, inexpensive aftershave balms out there? I'm thinking specifically about products that are in somewhat wide spread distribution at places like Walgreens, Rite Aid CVS, etc. Is there such a thing?
Cheers,

Craig
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Nivea Q10 w/SPF15..but I gave this to my wife..I now use Clubman Lime Sec/Vegitol AS non balm..I realized I have oily skin and any balm doesnt help it..se la vi!

ST
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

It's not a balm, but for something akin to Harris Pink, Burt's Bees Rose Water w/Glycerin Toner is a great product for the money.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Craig_From_Cincy

Thanks Thalay, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, It's such a subjective question. IMO, given what you are used to, 'no'....but not all agree, of course. That Burt's Bees Rosewater stuff for example is generally a good or interesting product but if one is really used to Harris's Pink ( as I am ) it just doesn't cut the mustard. Balms may be different, I don't really know as I don't use them, pricey or cheap. I do like the Clinique Post Shave Healer because it is very like the old Harris's Aftershaving Milk ( minus the nice scent ) but it's not an inexpensive product. It is, however, easy to get in most better dept. stores. Of course, I'm notoriously picky regarding A/S products and some gents here swear by stuff like the Nivea balms or various witch hazels but they don't do it for me, and...well....you may be just about as spoiled by now ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Thanks for the reply Gordon. Yea, I'm pretty much spoiled at this point....Trumper Skin Foods, AOS balms & gels, T&H.....I was hoping that some of the items that L'Oreal, Jack Black etc have at Target might be OK for my travel/gym shave kit, however I suspect that they might not live up to my expectations. Once you go up, it's hard to go down again....
Cheers,

Craig
Araner

Post by Araner »

Nivea For Men Extreme Comfort Post Shave Balm works well for me when I’m in the need of a balm. It’s readily available and reasonably priced.

Mike
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Craig, I agree with Gordon that this is a highly subjective area (as if any of the other stuff we talk about isn't), And I as a dedicated user of Harris Pink I also agree that my skin prefers Pink to the Burt's Bees. They both "get you there", but the Pink does leave my face feeling just a bit better. Not tremendously, rather just enough. On the other hand, the Burt's is roughly a quarter of the price of the Pink. Fortunately, I am in place where I can justify the price differential. However, if I weren't I would happily use Burt's as it is a quality product. Plus, it comes in a very nice glass bottle.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Agreed.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Thanks for the replies Gents. As it so happens I received a $25 coupon from AOS in the mail today, so I'm ordering more of their unscented Aftershave Gel. It's high quality, light and clean for the summertime, and very healing on the skin. And next time I run into a store that sells it I'm going to pick up a bottle of the Clinique Post Shave Healer as well.
Cheers,

Craig
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Thanks for the replies Gents. As it so happens I received a $25 coupon from AOS in the mail today, so I'm ordering more of their unscented Aftershave Gel. It's high quality, light and clean for the summertime, and very healing on the skin. And next time I run into a store that sells it I'm going to pick up a bottle of the Clinique Post Shave Healer as well.
Even though the Clinique PSH isn't cheap, a little goes a long way and the bottle seems to last me a long time, so I don't sweat the price tag of it much and feel it's worth the cost.

If you're looking for it locally, you can try a store called Ulta if have one around. They mostly have womens products but have a mens shave section with complete Clinique men's line and price is same as I've seen online.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Sounds like you'll be well set for awhile then. Just a word of caution. When you pick up the Clinique make sure it is the Post Shave HEALER ( not Soother...they are very different products ).
Regards,
Gordon