Kent Military Brush

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
IsaacRN

Kent Military Brush

Post by IsaacRN »

Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I have been intrigued by the idea of buying a Kent Military brush. I notice that you can find some on ebay for around 50 bucks. If you go to the Kent website, there are some for over 100 British Pounds. What exactly is the difference? I also see black and blond bristles. Is there a difference between those?

Im not looking to spend a kings ransom, but if there is a major difference, perhaps it is worth it.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

google and find the kent website that sells kent "seconds." have read here that the brushes are the real deal kents, with only tiny flaws (some say indiscernible). kent won't sell them as firsts and the bargains are really significant. i bought one off a non-kent website for $35-40 from a u.s. based company. the brush itself was perfect but the packaging was damaged. my guess is that it was damaged in shipping from pt a to pt. b and an insurance claim was filed. somone bought the damaged shipment for pennies on the dollar and i got a bargain.
but in the future i would stick to the official kent seconds website for even better deals!
jr/john
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had gotten two Rooney ones, a hard bristle and a soft, and because my hair is thin on top, sold the harder one. I so love the soft one and the quality is really, really solid. Had it two, three years now? Big fan of the brush, the styling (so easy to hold) and the bristles.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I wish I could use the military style brushes, just don't work for me.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I tend to like my hair brushes to be pretty firm. I'm sure the Kent brushes are excellent, but at this time I'm having very good results and am in the midst of what seems to be a long term relationship with a brush I stumbled onto at the local grocery store about 5 years ago, brand name "Scunci". Didn't cost much either. The good news is that I still have hair to brush!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Lou

Post by Lou »

Squire wrote:I wish I could use the military style brushes, just don't work for me.
I haven't tried a military brush, but I think I might prefer a club brush. I also like how the handle shows off more of the nice wood Kent uses.
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Isaac,

Kind of a late response, but I think the main difference in price is due to some being handmade and also the type of wood used. For me, it wasn't worth the price. I think the function is pretty much the same.

Not exactly sure the difference between black and blond bristles, I think it's mostly preference. I got blond. I have the MS11 which is the standard size military brush, but I also have the MC4. The MC4 used to be referred to as a 'Boys' brush because it is smaller, but I see now that they're calling it 'travel' size, and that's exactly what I use mine for.

But I'm thinking of getting the MC4 for home use, too, because I actually like the smaller size better.

Anyway, not sure that answered all your questions, but hope it helps a little.

Kenton
malocchio

seconds

Post by malocchio »

I'm looking for a kent brush for my grandson ,can't find the "seconds" site ...any links ??
timthepenman

Re: Kent Military Brush

Post by timthepenman »

I have a KENT Military Hair Brush w/blonde bristles. The blonde bristles are for guys with thinning hair, and the black is for guys who have a fuller head of hair. The black are essentially stiffer.
I purchased mine for about the price you quoted, and I really like it. I have it in the "shave den" (aka pen den ~ depending what we're talking about) & have it with a few other grooming goodies in an empty cigar box.

I like the size, and the bristles are just stiff enough to be effective on my noggin' ..... :lol:

Tim

IsaacRN wrote:Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I have been intrigued by the idea of buying a Kent Military brush. I notice that you can find some on ebay for around 50 bucks. If you go to the Kent website, there are some for over 100 British Pounds. What exactly is the difference? I also see black and blond bristles. Is there a difference between those?

Im not looking to spend a kings ransom, but if there is a major difference, perhaps it is worth it.
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
JRTASTER

Re: seconds

Post by JRTASTER »

malocchio wrote:I'm looking for a kent brush for my grandson ,can't find the "seconds" site ...any links ??
for the life of me, i can't remember the seconds site's addy, bit i do know
it's something like ebay stores uk.com/kent . in other words it's a separate ebay uk stoe
last time i checked the site i realized the pickings were really slim, however. sort of hit and miss, i'm afraid.
good luck in your search! jr/john
Books

Post by Books »

I can't speak to the Kent brushes, but I've picked up several Military brushes from the local Sally Beauty Supply.

Might be worth a shot...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Military-Bru ... _vc=SEARCH
Bob
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple years ago I picked up an imitation Kent made in China of good bristles in a fake wood top that looked a lot better than the Sally brush. it cost me about 30 bucks if I recall. Unfortunatly I can't recall who sold it online. A few years ago i wanted one for my grandsons high school graduation and there was a lady down south whose family made?/sold an excellent high quality brush. They had a line of good brushes. it cost about $65 if I recall. I believe she sent me a notice later that she was going out of business. I believe I found them either on ebay or by googling. Unless your heart is set on a Kent, I suggest you just search for military brushes and see what falls out.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
shlalaw

Post by shlalaw »

I bought a Kent military "second" recently. No problems. Here's another of interest:

http://www.german-hairbrushes.com/gentl ... rushes.htm
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Books wrote:I can't speak to the Kent brushes, but I've picked up several Military brushes from the local Sally Beauty Supply.

Might be worth a shot...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Military-Bru ... _vc=SEARCH
Ditto. Been very happy with mine from Sally's.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"