Caswell-Massey talcs

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
95%

Caswell-Massey talcs

Post by 95% »

Caswell-Massey offers quite a range of inexpensive talcs, of which I've tried two: English Lavender and Verbena. They were satisfactory, though perhaps the lavender was too sharp and herbaceous for my tastes. But has anyone tried the other fragrances? Some have very floral names, like Honeysuckle, Freesia, Lily of the Valley, Gardenia, and Patchouli, whereas others have nondescriptive names (Jockey Club, Tricorn, Number Six, and Newport.) I'm sure they all smell nice, but I know that some talcs can be so pervasive and long-lasting that they can end up ruining my day. Are any of these in that category, or are they safe to buy?
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Porter, the Jockey Club reminded me of Pinaud, so if you like that . . .
C-M talcs are too highly scented for my taste, but the Trumper's I could live with.
Ron
95%

Post by 95% »

Ron, I do like Clubman and Robert's Borotalco too, which seems almost identical. If Jockey Club is in that ballpark, I'll consider it. The container, at least, is nicer than either of those.

Verbena didn't seem too highly scented, but I do worry about Gardenia, etc. On the other hand, if the high floral scent dissipates rapidly, it would be OK.
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I was hopeful that the Verbena, Lime and Number Six would work, but I ended up selling those, too.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, I've used them in the past a good deal, especially when we had a C-M shop here in town and so I could get them locally. I always used the classic men's talcs, never the flowery women's scents. I especially like the Jockey Club; very old fashioned and tasteful, and the Verbena; fresh, citrusy, and 'clean'. But some of their other men's talcs are nice too, depending upon your taste. FWIW, I too found their lavender rendition to be overly strong and herbaceous. I think they ARE good quality and are unusual in being ONLY talc and fragrance, nothing else added. I'd probably still be using them if they were still available locally. BTW, good to hear from you.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I quite like the Jockey Club, Lime & No 6.
Cheers,

Craig
95%

Post by 95% »

On the basis of these comments, I think it will be safe for me to try the Jockey Club and a couple of the other non-feminine fragrances. Barclay Crocker, the mail order outfit in New Hampshire, has them on sale right now.

Thanks, Gordon, for the welcome back. I've been out of commission for a couple of months while recuperating from surgery. The surgery was successful, but recovering from it has taken longer at my age than I expected. I'm on my way now, thankfully.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Glad to hear that you've pulled through okay, and yeah, it takes longer now to recover even from minor stuff than it used to....sigh. Delighted to have you back.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

I’ve been an on again – off again user of CM talc over the years and I’m quite fond of their sandalwood. If one uses the sandalwood talc it (for me) served the purpose of a cologne too; the scent was good and lasted through the day in a nice subtle sort of way.

Mike
Craig_From_Cincy

Porter,

If you have a TJ Maxx near you consider stopping in and seeing they any C-M talcs. The ones in this area seem to have a great deal of C-M inventory at the moment, especially soaps but also some of their talcs. You'll pay a great deal less for them there if they have any .
Cheers,

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, It's worth a shot but the T J Maxx inventory varies a good deal from area to area. Around here, while one sometimes sees some of the feminine floral C-M talcs it's VERY rare for any of the classic gentlemen's versions to show up. I'd love to pop into their sister chain in the UK, they get most of the really good stuff I'm told.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Definitely spotty at TJ Maxx Gordon. A couple members went recently and struck out, while myself and another member or two (was it Sam and/or Funkthulhu?) struck gold there recently.
Cheers,

Craig