First hairbrush

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
daniel051

First hairbrush

Post by daniel051 »

Good afternoon,

I'm looking to purchase my first hairbrush, but I know little about them. I was hoping that you gentlemen might enlighten me.

My hair is wavy and somewhat thick. I'd venture that it's fairly long by the standards of this board's membership, as when extended a strand at the top of my forehead can reach past my nose.

I'm looking for a brush to use at home. I poked around the Kent website today and then chatted with the lady at customer service. She mentioned that bristle brushes, such as the military models, are traditional choices for men and that their users swear by them. Otherwise, she recommended something along these lines:
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=8
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=47&catid=28

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the particular models I've mentioned and more generally on what questions I should be asking myself as I look for a hairbrush.

Thanks,
Daniel
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Bristles work on shorter hair, but I've had long hair and they wouldn't penetrate very far. Nylon-tipped brushes can irritate your scalp if not careful. A ball-tipped brush works just as well and is is easier on the noggin. Nine-row brushes control longer hair better than seven-row. Your local beauty supply house will have no-name brushes like that for under five bucks; Whole Foods and online vendors carry the Bass 900 series for around nine.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Daniel, I have to agree with Ron here, Kent brushes are good, (I own a couple as well as their combs), but don't work better than the inexpensive Dollar Tree variety. Nice to have though, I use the Kents at home and El Cheapos ride in the car.
Regards,
Squire
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. It's been helpful.

Regards,
Daniel