Uugh shiny forehead

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brianh1978

Uugh shiny forehead

Post by brianh1978 »

I hate my forehead its always shinny and slick looking. Rest of my face would consider normal maybe sometimes dry (espically with this Vegas heat). I know its a ymv thing but anything you can recommend that can be found locally or not too high in price? Thanks

Brian
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'd ask a woman what they use. Is it wet/oily?

Maybe talc, but I'm guessing.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Use some witch hazel?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

+1

Witch Hazel is very good for facial cleansing.
jww wrote:Use some witch hazel?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You could use one of these, as in the days when women felt self-conscious about shiny noses:

But here's a little dermatologist trick about homeostasis. If you degrease skin it will secrete more oil (sebum) in response. If you add some oil to the skin it won't secrete as much sebum. So if you use a little moisturiser on your forehead, including pure oil products such a jojoba or even plain old paraffin oil, you won't get as greasy and shiny by the end of the day. This is most obvious when those who have oily/greasy hair use a strong detergent shampoo described as being for oily hair - they end up having to use it all the time just to stay ahead of the scalp's increased daily sebum production. A shampoo for 'dry' hair prevents this happening.

Chris
Le Chatelier never knew he was talking about physiology too!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Poor man's temporary solution: pat or mop the afflicted area with toilet paper (not tissue paper as it's bonds are too strong). This will abate the shine for a while. Nothing keeps it away all day. Repeat in 4 hours.

Of course your hands are good for this too in a pinch as they'll readily absorb the oils with a good hard wipe. Not ideal but sufficient when one is pressed for time, like say before entering the Board Room.

Chris
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Thayers Witch Hazel. I prefer the rose, but thats just for the scent. I take some round flat cotton wipes, give 'em a good squirt, and throw a few in a small ziplock baggie. Briefcase, office desk drawer, etc. Take one out, give a quick wipe, and toss.
Tom
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brian I wash my face during lunch time. I know, I know, the oil will be back in a few hours but I like the clean feeling.
Regards,
Squire
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

I have a very oily forehead and t-zones. It's a good thing as you get older, as you are less prone to wrinkles. I use glassine tissues to blot the access oil off these places in the afternoon, when it seems the worse. You can buy them at a beauty supply place, or Google oil blotting paper. Don't over pay for these. The should only cost about 5 bucks or less. They mop up the oil like no tomorrow, and are made from pure, untreated paper product. If you go the Witch Hazel route, I wouldn't use Thayer's. I find that Witch Hazel to be sticky. Dickinson's is better.
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I just got a bar of Dudu-Osun black soap that's supposed to be good for this. It also contains shea butter which should help with moisturizing. Also have a bar of Pelican Deitanseki soap that contains clay and charcoal. Hmm, well, let's call it an experiment. Humphrey's Witch Hazel works well between washings; Thayer's was too tacky feeling.

Update: the D-O soap doesn't do it for me.
Ron