Facial Moisturizers and SPF

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
imurhuckleberry

Facial Moisturizers and SPF

Post by imurhuckleberry »

Good Day All,

It has been a long time since my last post. I wanted to get some input from the group concerning facial moisturizing. I recently got some advice on facial cleansers and have been using Noxema on a daily basis but was told that this was too strong.

Since I have now been using Neutrugena Naturals which seem to be working. I have never used moisturizers due to my oily skin type, but did try to use an SPF but it was too heavy for my skin type. Any suggestions.....

Regards,
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
imurhuckleberry

Post by imurhuckleberry »

Just read the earlier post concerning the facial mositurizers...and got some useful tips.....kind of a blonde moment for not reading the earlier post....but still would like to hear what others are using......THXS
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
CJS

Post by CJS »

Per the SPF,

My skin was oily in my mid to late teens. I found that chemical sunscreens with avobenzone, octocrylene, etc. didn't agree with my skin, and that physical sunblocks (Titanium dioxide and Zinc Oxide-based) worked best for my skin. I still use those types of sunscreens today, even though my skin isn't as oily (YMMV and all of that stuff). However, I don't use an "spf moisturizer" because a) most of them are chemical based which would bother me anyway, and b) because you'd have to re-apply them every 3 hours or so to ensure continuous protection from UV rays. There is also some debate as to whether some of the SPF moisturizers actually offer any kind of UV protection, but I won't touch that. Unfortunately, the best way to keep your face safe from UV rays is to stay out of the sun.
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
SharonGriffin

Re: Facial Moisturizers and SPF

Post by SharonGriffin »

Moisturizer are very necessary for the skin to keep it smooth and soft. and if it contains SPF it will protect you from harmful sun rays So include it in your daily regime.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Only thing I use to wash my face is warm water running over me in the shower every day. I will use a face wash (The Body Shop) if I have a dirty face - e.g. after sweating alot, etc. I stopped using exfoliation products quite some time ago. I will use face protectors for sun, wind and cold. The Body Shop razor relief and skin food after every shave for me. TBS face protector works for me in the summer, and Dermatone's winter Frostbite Fighter I find is best in the winter. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

For the past five or so years, I've been using Neutrogena's Oil-Free moisturizer with SPF (several options).

It's light, non-greasy, and unscented. As the SPF goes up, it does have a heavier feel when applying. But I don't notice any difference in how it feels after applying.

The only problem I've had with it is with heavy perspiration - it will mix with perspiration and run into your eyes. But I've never found one that wouldn't do that. It's just a pain in the neck when doing yardwork or other heavy activity. But better than dealing with a burn.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mr. Huckleberry, sorry it took me a while to post a response. I'm an advocate for the 444 balm. It does have a bit of menthol, if you are a fan, as I am. It seems to be a very good post-shave moisturizer. I've used several tubes and have several more on hand. I do recommend it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I haven't used any skin 'moisterizers' in many years. I went through a period where I tried all sorts of skin products and complicated routines only to discover that I was better off using a real quality soap once a day to wash my face and that was all. I haven't had any significent problems since. I live in Florida so, if I am forced to spend any real time outside ( like at the beach ) I'll use a sunscreen. But mostly I just avoid significent exposure.
Regards,
Gordon