If you... conitinues

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
celar36

If you... conitinues

Post by celar36 »

If you need to buy Pre shave cream, 1 after balm, 1 skin food and 1 soap, what would be on your top?

I am doing researcher as I am running low on my stuff and I wanna do one big order:) you also can make your top 3 if you cannot chose one:)

Thanks Jack
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I used a pre shave cream (I don't), I'd buy either Prep or Proraso at half the price. After shave balm I use two - 444 and Razorock 888. My son seems to like Castle Forbes. He also likes GFT Coral skin food. For the soap, I would recommend Mitchell's Woolfat, because I personally would like to get a chance to use MWF bath soap, even though I personally buy and use high tallow Mexican made bath soap because it is very inexpensive and very good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I personally don't find pre-shave treatments useful so I can't make a recommendation. For an after-shave, I swear by Harris Pink for most of the year (for a cheaper alternative, Burt's Bees Glycerine and Rosewater is a very workable substitiute). I prefer their lighter feeling to that of a balm. On the other hand, I do go for Castle Forbes Pre-shave as an after-shave balm when the weather gets really raw. For a soap, I use Yardley's US Lavender soap- it is a bargain for the performance at a buck a bar. However, if I could get my hands on Cussons for a reasonable price I would go for that.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pretty much the same as Chris. I've no use for pre-shave products of any kind and these days I only use D R Harris's Pink for after the shave ( except when I travel, then I use Clinque Post Shave Healer...only because it's easier and safer to pack ). In your post I took 'soap' to refer to shave soap not bath soap? If so, than one of the D R Harris's hard shave soaps ( just check the scent to make sure that it has one...sigh ). If you're including soft creams in this catagory than any selection from T&H, D R Harris's, or Trumper that strikes your fancy.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Coral skin food is really all you need.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I started off (6-days ago, LOL) using baby oil as a pre shave and thought it pretty good, then today tried shampoo hair conditioner and it was noticeably better. Got some official pre shave on the way and will try that in a week or so.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Spenser. Welcome to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Another vote for no pre-shave product whatsoever. I've tried them over the years and concluded that most of them are trumped by a simple wash of the face and shaving area with plain soap and water if one really wanted to do a pre-shave.

But I have concluded that personally there is an even better solution, I employ what I have come to name the "Gordon Method" which is not to even wash the area of your face that you're going to shave but just use a high quality shaving soap or cream and really work it into your whiskers before shaving. This works wonders for your skin in the sense that it minimizes irritation factors and keeps your shaves consistently excellent. Take your pick of the top shelf creams and soaps to accomplish this. The one I prefer is no longer made so I can't really recommend anything personally.

For a balm, I can't really recommend one of these either because I've tried many/most of them and don't really like them. The only one I really liked was the old formula D.R. Harris Aftershave Milk when it was a light affair. It hasn't been produced in that format for years so that leaves nothing. Personally, I use Dominica Bay Rum as my true aftershave and that does me just fine.

For a skin food pick one from Trumper's. When I used one I preferred the Coral Skin food but I haven't use one in years so good luck. Personally I find that a skin food and balm are highly redundant but whatever floats your boat.

Good luck finding stuff that will suit you!

Chris
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

No pre-shave for me either. D.R. Harris' Pink works fine. A less expensive alternative I've found that is alcohol free is Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic. It has a citrus scent to it that is non-offensive. As to soap, again D.R. Harris' are top notch. I would also recommend Speick or Valobra shave sticks.
Best,
Scott
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I think I will buy Coral skin Food and Harris Pink
Jack
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

celar36 wrote:I think I will buy Coral skin Food and Harris Pink
Excellent choices, hope they suit you.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree; couldn't have chosen better. Both are excellent aftershave products and the Skin Food can double as a pre-shave if that is what you really want.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

bernards66 wrote:I agree; couldn't have chosen better. Both are excellent aftershave products and the Skin Food can double as a pre-shave if that is what you really want.
Regards,
Gordon
+2
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?