Post shave & body lottion

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Spenser

Post shave & body lottion

Post by Spenser »

When I started wet shaving, it was about Christmas time, I started using a post shave lotion - Neutrogena for men. I needed something to smooth my face as was shaving much closer. I like this product, catch myself feeling of face throughout the day, its a new experience for me.

Living in a dry climate I have needed body lotion for a long time. Started at the same time rotating between Curel and Aloe Vera Gel lotion. Skin is much better but thinking of giving somehting else a try when these run out. What do you use, any ideas.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Spenser, what type of soap do you use?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ditto Chris' question.
Regards,
Gordon
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Hey, I'm using the New Dove Men + Care Body & Face Wash
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Before hopping onto other stuff, try a different bar of soap. Have you given Yardley Lavender soap a try? Readily available and frequently sells for about a buck a bar. Nancy Boy soap is also excellent but more expensive.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

10-4, thanks. will give it a try
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Spenser, I also live in a dry climate and I, too, have dry skin. When I lived in a climate with a little more humidity, this wasn't a problem.

I have tried a lot of different high-quality soaps and I have found some really good ones. Nevertheless, I have come to the conclusion that no soap is truly moisturising, though they vary greatly in their drying effects.

I distinctly dislike the effect of lotion on the body, as body hair really makes a mess of it. Even so, after trying many soaps with purported moisturising properties, I have concluded that I will need to try some form of oil or lotion to successfully address my dry skin.

- Murray
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Perhaps I don't have as much body hair, that 'effect' or feeling you talk about I don't like either. After 20 minutes or so my skin has absorbed it and I don't notice it anymore. Use to have these little bumps on my skin (usually in the FAT areas, you know what I mean) and with lotion they have gone away since I started doing this a month ago.

Grew up in Tulsa OK, and there was no such thing as dry skin there. Very humid.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Spenser, it sounds like I may just need to exercise a little more patience in the process of application and in allowing the lotion to be absorbed.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You have had lots of good advise so far --- let me add thumbs up to the Yardley English Lavender suggestion. Another thought would be to try an olive-oil based soap. We often use one when we travel to Utah where the climate is very dry and it helps. Nevertheless, the only real solution I have found keeping moist in dry climates is to drink more water. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I'm only 76 miles from Utah state line. I know of what you speak. Going to try these soaps and see what happens.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm surprised that Wendell didn't mention it, but Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap is unusually good vis a vis keeping the skin in good shape. My wife used to use Dove, as well as various 'upscale body washes' and was always looking for 'moisturizers' and the like. Before we were married I introduced her to Martin de Chadre soaps, and because those are so hard to get and expensive, moved her on to L'Occitane. Eventually she gave away or threw out a whole closet shelf's worth of 'moisturizers', 'body washes' and all the rest of it....didn't need any of that stuff anymore. Granted, we live in a more humid climate than you do, but then again ( ahem ) I'm pretty sure her skin is more delicate than yours, sooo.... Anyway, you might try going through a cake of the Mitchell's and then see how your skin is doing. If it's still uncomfortably dry at that point, than okay....find a decent moisturizer. But give this a try first.
Regards,
Gordon
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Hey Gordon, thanks. Justs a update. Used Mitchell's Wool Fat for 3 days and had body rash, went back to Dove yesterday, and rash immediatly better. Go figure. No body's fault.

BTW, is Wendell missing in action? Seems haven't seen his smiling face for awhile.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nah -- I'm still here -- been traveling a lot for work these days and not as active on the forum.

I hesitated to suggest MWF bath soap simply because of the cost (it ain't cheap) and the ability to easily source at a store in North America. You can often find the Yardley English Lavender in not only local grocery stores (Hannaford, etc. in the east, not sure in the west) or even local dollar stores on the cheap.

If product cost and shipping doesn't put you off, then I would have to admit it would be the soap to go with for sure.

I would also suggest that a face and body wash product isn't going to necessarily be as moisturizing as a bar of Dove soap would be. I can't imagine another bar soap that would truly be better from a pure moisturizing and readily available perspective
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Spenser, I purchased my wife this about 3-4 years ago http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.co ... utter-bars and she was so pleased with it that I pick up two bars for her every christmas, it's application is a bit odd, but it sure does work. I work out side all year long and when ever I get really dry skin, I'm talking so dry that your legs turn red in the shower I will use it myself, and can honestly say it soothes and protects for a few weeks on me, the bar does not last very long with a man using it but if it helps it is worth it.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

The application does seem a bit strange. Do I understand you use this bar to shower, rinse and then apply to dry areas of body. I'll have to get my arms around that. :wink: Or maybe its my mind that is the problem.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Spencer, Sorry to hear that you had a reaction to MWF soap...probably the lanolin in it. Interestingly, I used to have a similiar reaction but thankfully don't any more. Still, this unfortunate experiment does not negate Chris' and my point; that using a good traditional soap could likely alleviate your problem. The Yardley is easy and inexpensive to check out. There are still a lot of high quality soaps out there it's just that palm oil based ones don't work so well for me personally so I use the Mitchell's. Claus Porto makes some very fine soaps as does Bronnley. Then there is stuff like the L'Occitan and other makers of 'Marseilles' type soaps. C&E products may be available locally and are worth considering. I dunno, I guess you could stick with the Dove but I've used it at times during my entire adult life and never found it to be that good. I do know that my wife has never been even tempted to pick it up again once I introduced her to better quality soaps.
Regards,
Gordon
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Shower with your soap of choice rinse off, take the body bar and run it over your body while still in the shower, the heat from the water softens the body bar as you use it, then rinse off again. baby smooth....Honest :D Works so well my wife will only go through 2 bars a year.. As in all things YMMV.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Thanks Marty, gonna order.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Have tried the Chagrin Valley Soap 3-times now. Skin is remarkably better. Rash was pretty much gone before using but skin has really cleared up, better than before. Not going to use for awhile and see what happens.

:lol: