The Fat - yeah buddy

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

The Fat - yeah buddy

Post by Sam »

Still on the hunt for the ultimate bath soap, the one that makes you stop searching. Old School Vinolia would have been fine, or if they still make Floris Rose Geranium with tallow, I'd be done. So Connaught Shaving had a great deal on the Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, 6 bars for around $35 shipped from England.

Got the package, and you could smell the Fat when you opened it. Good. Took the Vinolia, newer version, that I was using as a face soap and moved it to the shower. Lathered up and washed my face last night with the Fat. That smell reminded me of soaps I used to bathe with in my formative years, and I am 53 now. Not that we had fancy soaps in my house (my grandmother did, but not my mom!) but the smell was a bit more common I suspect back then.

This stuff had a certain creaminess to it, so much like that Floris Rose Geranium soap. I can't put my finger on it, but yes, I think if blindfolded and some geisha girl rubbed you in the shower, you could tell the difference in the lather between the Fat and say a veggie product like Chagrin Valley, and most certainly with Dial. I showered with it today and loved it.

6 bars will last me a year I am guessing, and I wonder if I should pop for like 12 more. I am pleased.
Last edited by Sam on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

No problems with lanolin, Sam? I guess if Gordon got over that hurdle, it says something.

I can take or leave tallow, but am concerned with lanolin (I'd never use it for face lathering) and looking at alternatives to Nancy Boy just to keep options open.

*Withholding comment about geishas and showers.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Woolfat -- the most wonderful lathering substance of all. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Glad to hear it....and, you're welcome ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

perfect for me is, mwf until done followed by vinolia.....repeat ad infinitum

:lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's another Fat to be seriously considered. The new product Haslinger Ewe's milk and Lanolin soap is a tallow soap made in Austria and lathers wonderfully. The fragrance is good, at least to my nose. Post shave skin care is good. Bernd at Shavemac sells Haslinger at a very reasonable price. Surprisingly, the price including shipping via FedEx from Bernd to USA is not bad at all. There may be one or two CONUS based vendors also.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And speaking of wool, sheep and The Fat ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSBBQaRx ... ploademail
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yep, the Mitchell's bath soap is excellent. I alternate between it and my regular stuff. Has a great scent too.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems that Connaught has a pretty good price on the round MWF bath soaps. If I can remember next time I place an order, I'll pick up a few of those baths soaps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Consider trying MWF shampoo also. It lathers great and has a similar scent.

Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a correction to my previous post about Haslinger's. The Haslinger's soap sold by Shavemac is only the shaving soap. Haslinger does make a very wide variety of bath soaps, in addition to their shaving soaps. These are sold in USA by Smallflower. At the current time, the Schiefmilck (Ewe's milk) soap is temporarily out of stock. I'm going to keep an eye out so I can order some of the bath soap when it's back in stock.
Gary